The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Decision Made - Not going Single - What are my options?

Big Mark

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not seen any data to suggest that SRT setup is an upgrade at all. From what I have seen, no effort has gone into calculating the effect on brake bias which can have a huge effect. Is the stock BMC even suited to that setup?

UK's are more than enough for your setup.

Not looking to spend £k's Nic other wise I'd of gone single, just looking for idea to eek out a bit more from the car.

The parts you mentioned in your first post will cost you a sizable chunk of money, for the outlay they are not going to make a significant difference to the power. I did a lot of those mods to my own car (FMIC, cams, injectors, FPR, ECU) when I was still running the stock turbos and made 430hp. In hindsight the only mods I would do again would be the FMIC and perhaps the ECU.

If you're not satisfied with the power you have at the moment, then the only way you are going to be happy is to ditch the stock turbos and do a single turbo install, it's worth doing but only if you're prepared to spend the large amount of money it takes to do properly.

I agree with the consensus here and would go small single if you can.

However inlet, cams, FPR, larger injectors, ECU (I have a HKS FCon Pro S for sale) would see a slight increase and would be the way to go if you're staying stock twins.

I think the hybrids route will put you close small single money territory anyway so rule that out.

Came very close to buying a single last night and at the very last second realised that I'd not use it to it's full potential and was better off sticking with my car that I've had and have worked on for a few years and staying BPU, I don't really need any more.

So definitely shelved any idea about going single and just looking to make the most of what I've got and giving myself a new "to-do" list.

Yep, and if you remove the cost of the Blitz/Mines and the RLTC, you're only spending an extra £2500ish.

It's probably worth it for how much better your car will run and the safety trips (oil, fuel pressure, etc)

The going rate for a Mines/Blitz is £2/300 ish and Racelogic is £3/400 second hand

So that would leave you with £3300

I've not seen any data to suggest that SRT setup is an upgrade at all. From what I have seen, no effort has gone into calculating the effect on brake bias which can have a huge effect. Is the stock BMC even suited to that setup?

UK's are more than enough for your setup.

It enables you to get Performance Friction pads though ;)

I've literally been looking at this ever since I got my first supra. The only real way of more power above BPU level is to go single/big twin. Which is my whole thought process on my next supra. The cost of this to do is quite high as well so buying one already done is a no brainer.

I've literally been looking at this ever since I got my first supra. The only real way of more power above BPU level is to go single/big twin. Which is my whole thought process on my next supra. The cost of this to do is quite high as well so buying one already done is a no brainer.

That depends. It's only worth doing if you have the funds for a top end car. Buying a cheap single with cheap parts and questionable workmanship is a recipe for disaster and further expense. At least if you have one built yourself, you can be confident that it is done properly and to your own spec. I would probably only consider buying a single as a fresh import, or one built by Whifbitz or SRD. However, these rarely come on the market.

Most top-end cars end up getting broken anyways because there's rarely the market there to buy them at what the owner would consider a sensible price. It's an odd siutation.

- - - Updated - - -

Good decision IMO, i much prefer my bpu supra to my previous singled one, i wouldn't go single again.

If I came back to a Supra, it'd either be the big twins again, or a small single. Big singles hit too hard for the chassis/our roads, IMO of course.

That depends. It's only worth doing if you have the funds for a top end car. Buying a cheap single with cheap parts and questionable workmanship is a recipe for disaster and further expense. At least if you have one built yourself, you can be confident that it is done properly and to your own spec. I would probably only consider buying a single as a fresh import, or one built by Whifbitz or SRD. However, these rarely come on the market.

i definitely agree. Needs to be a well built car. Surely buying a single from import could have the same potential for a cheap build?

Full exhaust system, Cams and a larger intercooler would give you a small power hike, but for a set of 264 cams, you would need some mapping done i'm sure.

Its all about the gains in mind against your budget i guess, i cant say much as i'm all about NA power (Currently gathering parts for ITB conversion) lol

Nitrous is a good shout, not seen anyone on here running it though?

Failing that, improving the overall driveability of the car woud be a good shout, but you have it covered already!

Edited by Richie_k83 (see edit history)

i definitely agree. Needs to be a well built car. Surely buying a single from import could have the same potential for a cheap build?

When I was planning on going single I worked it out at £15k with all the bits I wanted plus mapping, so almost bought a car that had already been built for less than that, but realised i don't use my car to warrant the expense. So will just keep mine at BPU and maybe swap the ECU or piggy back as I'm sure I've read that BPU cars run a little rich?

- - - Updated - - -

Nitrous has zero appeal.

Surely buying a single from import could have the same potential for a cheap build?

It would definitely be more of a risk, but it's pretty easy to tell the good ones from the bad. My single was built in Japan, the quality of the build was the equal of anything I've seen built here. James's T88 is another example of a high quality Japanese build.