The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What other cars can surpass the longevity of the mk4 supra.?

herbiemercman

Hi Noz, I agree there has to be some risk, however i used to take mega risks on big bikes, silly speeds on IOM. TT circuit and an engine seize or gearbox etc was "good night vienna", many of the guys were taken out with this. So if the box goes tits up i am hoping and assuming if at speed a oner pluss, it will not be dangerouse.?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blowing a gearbox at any speed is going to be a risk as there's no telling exactly what will happen. Something will give way which could in turn seize the gearbox and lock the wheels. Taking a corner even at 30 when that happens will probably end in tears. You wouldn't have time to react and dump the clutch before you got a front bumper from someone else's car in your mouth.

The box will be at it's limit, some people get plenty of use before they go and some people go through 3 boxes in as many miles. A bit of a lottery I'm afraid but if you're planning on spending that money on a turbo conversion, I'd try budget for a gearbox upgrade as soon as possible as well. Then you can drive it like you're going around the TT instead of worrying :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I appreciate all your help and advice, especially "scooter."

Towards the end of august or early september i will tell you what my NA?T feels like.

Lets face it,risk is part of our lives, some of you may laugh at what i am going to say, as what happened would be before your time, Irvin and mallory summited everest in1924, with woolen trousers and hob nail boots etc, even today the jury is still out on, did they do it.? I think they did, fantastic balls out brit effort, mallorie's body was found on the north face by a usa party, who set out to find their boddies, after 75 years.

Forgive me for being so mellow dramatic, but it puts me risking my w58 into proportion, if you are a "petrol head" and love speed, you take risks all the time.

I am at a mid life situation now and i just have to upgrade my machine and the risk is just money, I still appreciate all your advise, but you all know there are some things you have to do. Wish me luck. herbiemercman.

Your all "On It", great club this, most people think we are"dick heads" with fast cars, just look when you are out and about, many cannot look at your supra, may be they are jellouse,? or may be they think we have not so good "party pieces", either way they don't know what they are missing.

At my local my car gets as much or more attention than the £70k + stuff, jags, mercs,etc. Also a supra pulling away from start sounds awsome, roll on NA/T.