The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent - Cat removal advice

Attero

Youd need a stud extractor or drill it out, youd probobly have to drill it if its properly wedged, its easy done though whack a small drill bit through it then gradually get get larger with the drill bit you should eventually be able to retap the thread through

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Youd need a stud extractor or drill it out, youd probobly have to drill it if its properly wedged, its easy done though whack a small drill bit through it then gradually get get larger with the drill bit you should eventually be able to retap the thread through

Right thought as much, problem its such an akward angle there is no way I would get the drill in there without removing the manifold which isnt happening.

You are killing yourself with it mate.

Honest do as others have suggested and undo the nuts from the head studs and pull the whole thing out with the manifolds. Once its out you can just run a saw blade down the side of that manky nut and it will be over in minutes. Don't be a alarmed when you undo the stud nuts if the studs come out the head, it often happens and they will go back in just fine. Make sure you use a decent 6 point socket on them though. That manifold could be off and on the floor in less than quarter of an hour, I took the manifold off the wife's na a couple of weeks ago to do an engine swap and the nuts on her's looked worse than yours. If you were closer I would come and do it for you now.

Personally id do as shane says above, but If the manifold nuts are solid, try some penetration fluid on them fire the car up til its warm and the nuts are hot then try removing them that bit of heat from the inside might slacken them that little bit more

I feel your pain i fitted a new gasket on my 1st decat on my tt yesterday had a right nightmere with one bolt which pulled the stud out, the nut stick solid to it, ive just whacked a new bolt in instead of a stud took ages compared to when i fitted my decat a few years back

You are killing yourself with it mate.

Honest do as others have suggested and undo the nuts from the head studs and pull the whole thing out with the manifolds. Once its out you can just run a saw blade down the side of that manky nut and it will be over in minutes. Don't be a alarmed when you undo the stud nuts if the studs come out the head, it often happens and they will go back in just fine. Make sure you use a decent 6 point socket on them though. That manifold could be off and on the floor in less than quarter of an hour, I took the manifold off the wife's na a couple of weeks ago to do an engine swap and the nuts on her's looked worse than yours. If you were closer I would come and do it for you now.

Seriously guys I would if I could, the lower manifold nuts are off but the top ones WILL NOT MOVE, at all. They are wedged well and truely. No way they will come off by hand. I had my spanner on it with a long handle on it for extra leverage and had my full weight against it and the spanner, (which is a good one) was starting to bow! the ratchet and socket was not budging either.

Seriously guys I would if I could, the lower manifold nuts are off but the top ones WILL NOT MOVE, at all. They are wedged well and truely. No way they will come off by hand. I had my spanner on it with a long handle on it for extra leverage and had my full weight against it and the spanner, (which is a good one) was starting to bow! the ratchet and socket was not budging either.

Have to say that does sound tight! spanners that bow isn't good. Warm them up, sensible fitting socket on a breaker bar with constant force and it will go. If you think these are tight wait till you do the crank pulley ;)

What weaponary are you using to undo the bolts? Pictures.

All halford advanced sockets, spanners and rachet

Have to say that does sound tight! spanners that bow isn't good. Warm them up, sensible fitting socket on a breaker bar with constant force and it will go. If you think these are tight wait till you do the crank pulley ;)

Yeah Crank pulley on the list for winter. However Im not doing that! I have had the car running while trying to move the studs and the manifold was red hot.

You'd be far better off 'shocking' the nuts rather than just applying constant pressure - spanner on the nut then a clack with a decent knocking stick. A dremel with the flexi attachment with a small cutting disc or carbide cutter would sort out whats left of that nut in no time too.

You'd be far better off 'shocking' the nuts rather than just applying constant pressure - spanner on the nut then a clack with a decent knocking stick. A dremel with the flexi attachment with a small cutting disc or carbide cutter would sort out whats left of that nut in no time too.

What attachment mate I do have a dremmel!

Breaker bar may be slightly industrial, but if you can get hold of a longer ratchet. If the spanners are decent enough and are gripping the bolt well, you can interlink 2 spanners to get more leverage.

EDIT:

Like this.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/04/a2420bcd47b974a74944677f8c3555a8.jpg

Been doing that all day mate. They rearlly wont shift.

Breaker bar may be slightly industrial, but if you can get hold of a longer ratchet. If the spanners are decent enough and are gripping the bolt well, you can interlink 2 spanners to get more leverage.

Indeed like Ben says. Try using the ring end of the 19mm over the end of your ratchet handle to give you extra leverage. Personally I only shock them like Marty suggests as a last resort as they could well be brittle and fatigued being on the head, but needs must I guess and thats just me being cautious.

That's nearly there, can you get a sharp little cold chisel at it?

honestly thought we were getting somewhere but i think either way the threads are going to be shot.

Indeed like Ben says. Try using the ring end of the 19mm over the end of your ratchet handle to give you extra leverage. Personally I only shock them like Marty suggests as a last resort as they could well be brittle and fatigued being on the head, but needs must I guess and thats just me being cautious.

I have tried with another spanner linked in. And have tried both constant pressure and sharp pressure. Its so solid it has bust the stud cracker thing.

Thankyou for all the input so far too everyone. keep it coming. Will only get an hour or so after work tomorrow to pick up where I have left off, and with DB and a show this sunday looming I appreciate all the help

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)

What attachment mate I do have a dremmel!

Like this ... LINK with one of these on .. LINK

If you don't have the flexi bit you could just nibble at it with a metal cutter on the dremel. Either way your thread isn't going to be great afterwards you know.

Guess i'm just a little rough :nana: Always works for me on bolts that wont budge with a breaker bar though :cool: Definate risk on head bolts that's for sure, a snapped stud in the head would be a bit of a headache:d

Edited by Marty (see edit history)

Like this ... LINK with one of these on .. LINK

If you don't have the flexi bit you could just nibble at it with a metal cutter on the dremel. Either way your thread isn't going to be great afterwards you know.

Guess i'm just a little rough :nana: Always works for me on bolts that wont budge with a breaker bar though :cool: Definate risk on head bolts that's for sure, a snapped stud in the head would be a bit of a headache:d

Maybe I will try the dremmel idea and if fails will just get the hacksaw on it. never know having the fluid soak in over night may have helped free them off but doubt it.

I'll buy your ticket if you don't sort it in time... :innocent:

:D

Nice try.

Hey guys can I just cut off the cat temp sensor cable as thats all rusted up too. Or can it be unpluged. this is on the first cat

Shame you're not closer to me, I've had extensive experience at getting these off and I even have a spare manifold that could be put on in its place with good studs..... You're just too damn far away :-(

Thanks mate kind offer

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)