VVTI Tiptronic Gearbox Info

MattP

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well done for tracking the Gremlin down, treat yourself to a beer. :)

My money always was on the electrickery, pity you hadn't posted a pic of the ECU loom alterations, we might have picked this up a lot sooner.

I'll post your pics of the Tiptronic valve-body, along with pre VVTI T.T, N/A and Lexus 5 speed versions in the transmission group for reference & curiosity.

Maybe you need to keep one of these in your toolbox for when your brother is not about. :D

prosciutto-and-sausage-hand-from-wesker-and-son.jpg

Edited by David P (see edit history)

The wire was (pin 3 in block 76) which is solenoid 3 in the autobox..

If you have a fault 76 code on a vvti tiptronic this is what it relates to.

That's a curious coincidence, maybe fault code 76 is a clue that the problem was in block 76?

I am curious at what number does the fault code reference stop and the ECU block numbers begin?

That's a curious coincidence, maybe fault code 76 is a clue that the problem was in block 76?

I am curious at what number does the fault code reference stop and the ECU block numbers begin?

It's a P fault code, probably coincidental to the socket pin number , but indicative that the Tiptronic VVti should be readable by a suitable OBDII scanner. My old one read VVTi engine codes, it may have read gearbox codes too, I never had cause to look, but I sold it as the updates were getting prohibitively expensive. I can't remember the make, but it was expensive and was known as the de facto one for Japanese / Asian cars.

If someone could post wiring diagrams it would be most helpful. Cheers David!

• 3 weeks later...
It's a P fault code, probably coincidental to the socket pin number , but indicative that the Tiptronic VVti should be readable by a suitable OBDII scanner. My old one read VVTi engine codes, it may have read gearbox codes too, I never had cause to look, but I sold it as the updates were getting prohibitively expensive. I can't remember the make, but it was expensive and was known as the de facto one for Japanese / Asian cars.

If someone could post wiring diagrams it would be most helpful. Cheers David!

Sorry guys I have been out using the car and have not really been back on here but like I said I came across the solution by spending hours dredging the internet under generic searchs, until I stumbled across a lexus forum where the flashing M light on the dash was commonly caused by a fault 76 code which is what my car was also flagging up.

as we have no fault code diagrams for VVTIs and people were suggesting fault 76 did not exist on the Supra I looked into the cause on the Lexus, people on Lexus forums seemed to be of the common opinion that solenoid 3 on the Lexus VVTI TIP caused the M to flash on the dash and disable the manual mode.

Now moving on from this as stated I had the car converted to Miles and Fuel Cut Defender fitted on import and following the basic Wiring Diagrams both myself and David P had found pointed me to the wire that should be Solenoid 3, My solenoid 3 wire appeared to have a 3 inch piece cut out of it and was taped at the block end so basically it must have been connected to something else at some point.

what it was connected to or how I dont know but when I soldered in a new joining piece of wire the Fault is now rectified and all is well...

So all I can say for sure is Fault 76 on a VVTI Tiptronic relates to solenoid 3 and it will cause the M to flash on the dash and not allow manual mode.

We are no closer to a Fault code glossary for a VVTI Tip but I assume we may use generic searchs on Lexus forums in the future should anybody have issue.