The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bonnet keeps unlatching whilst driving.

SupraStar 3000

Dear Jim'all fix it

On the off chance that somebody might know of a simple solution to this...

After driving over a pot hole, my bonnet popped open (the fail-safe catch thing still held the bonnet shut). After pulling over and pressing closed again it continued to pop-up open under fast acceleration. Obviously this isn't a great thing to have happen. WD40 on the catch, puller and mechanism, which seems to have helped,... but I don't feel confident to break lightspeed just yet.

Noticed the cable seems loose too.

Any tips or hints to sort this peeps.

Best regards

Mr Suprastar esquire

They seem fine and strong. I pushed a large flat headed screw driver into the opening and the mechanism seemed to lock fine. Although I couldn't get much purchase, to really see how strong they hold.

After the 2nd time the bonnet popped open, I pressed the lid firmly closed as,.. usual, then got my finger tips underneath the edge and pulled hard. I was shocked i manage to pull the bonnet open.

Thats when I used the WD40. Now I can't force it open - just a little disconcerting now.

Well just had this problem yesterday

So today removed both catches

Found that on one side cable was not returning all the way

Spent some time trying to free and lubricate , got a bit better but I'm feeling just get 2 new ones

The catches come with a short cable on each( fixed),which go into a plastic block where one long cable goes to cabin

Ahhh, a bonnet release thread by Ed. It's like it was just meant to be :D

Can you release the bonnet from inside the car.... Next there will be a thread saying you can open the boot from inside the car..... How ridiculous.... Or even more ridiculous being able to open the petrol cap without a screwdriver ;)

I wouldn't risk it mate ,a few have had the bonnet come up the damage it will do is not good. I replaced both hinges, new joining block and the long cable to inside the car from memory it all came under £80-90 from Toyota was a few years ago though

• 4 years later...
Well just had this problem yesterday

So today removed both catches

Found that on one side cable was not returning all the way

Spent some time trying to free and lubricate , got a bit better but I'm feeling just get 2 new ones

The catches come with a short cable on each( fixed),which go into a plastic block where one long cable goes to cabin

Have just bought two new catches from Toyota, how do you change them when everything on the front is standard and the lower locating bolts are hidden?