The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's a Street Supra's Sweet Spot Power Wise?

Style

I'm (allegedly) 650bhp on the T88, but it's laggy so doesn't feel as wild as it should. When it's on song though and going through the gears it is an animal!

Those 315 R888s put the power down excellently.

Anything similar, though ideally a 62mm or such (like I plan on myself) would be even better in terms of spool time.

I'm (allegedly) 650bhp on the T88, but it's laggy so doesn't feel as wild as it should. When it's on song though and going through the gears it is an animal!

Those 315 R888s put the power down excellently.

Anything similar, though ideally a 62mm or such (like I plan on myself) would be even better in terms of spool time.

Honestly, looking at your 1/4 terminal speeds id be surprised if you have over 500bhp.

Thanks for all the info chaps, seems like anything in the region of 550-650hp is the magic number to aim for. A well thought out build covering all the bases as well of course, I don't think I'd be able to scrimge on something like brakes or suspension. Needs to get around the twisties at a decent rate too!

A *GENUINE* 550 BHP with a small turbo and cams to maximise area under the power curve is an awesome set up. I get to drive dozens of different Jap cars, and the supposed huge power jobs never fail to dissapoint on the road.

The need to rev the thing to infinity before anything much happens is exactly what you don't want in a road car.

To be honest, with modern direct injection petrol engines and modern torbos with turbine housings cast integrally in the exhaust manifold, with ultra high compression thuings like the 2JZ are pretty naff. If you drive say a Golf or Audi TT turbo these days with an open mind you can see how far turbo and injection technology has come. You can stick a TT in 6th at 30 MPH and it will still pull like a train. They have effectively NO lag. Things move on.... A reprogrammed DSG semi auto box option in a 4WD TT with some nice engine mods is a sensibly sized and sensibly weighted alternative to a new shape GTR, IMO, if you don't my the rather effette reputation they have.

What I would say is without an ecu that softens shifts correctly an auto single turbo, used often and energetically needs you to have a garage full of spare auto boxes, and changing them developed into an art form.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

A *GENUINE* 550 BHP with a small turbo and cams to maximise area under the power curve is an awesome set up. I get to drive dozens of different Jap cars, and the supposed huge power jobs never fail to dissapoint on the road.

The need to rev the thing to infinity before anything much happens is exactly what you don't want in a road car.

To be honest, with modern direct injection petrol engines and modern torbos with turbine housings cast integrally in the exhaust manifold, with ultra high compression thuings like the 2JZ are pretty naff. If you drive say a Golf or Audi TT turbo these days with an open mind you can see how far turbo and injection technology has come. You can stick a TT in 6th at 30 MPH and it will still pull like a train. They have effectively NO lag. Things move on.... A reprogrammed DSG semi auto box option in a 4WD TT with some nice engine mods is a sensibly sized and sensibly weighted alternative to a new shape GTR, IMO, if you don't my the rather effette reputation they have.

What I would say is without an ecu that softens shifts correctly an auto single turbo, used often and energetically needs you to have a garage full of spare auto boxes, and changing them developed into an art form.

Glad you chipped in Chris, as I'd probably end up coming down your way if I was to go after a number in that region :)