The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Question for N/A Drivers!

Guest LeeMackie

You've insured it as a UK turbo bud. What you need to do is select "Import" and find the correct car. Go Skippy may not have the availability of such a car online but they should be able to help you over the phone.

I would seriously consider changing insurers though as that's stupid money.

Guest LeeMackie

just went onto their webiste there and typed it in correctly, came up as a SZ Non-Turbo, instead of 3k a year they're now wanting 4.5k, so think i'll just keep my head low haha!!

just went onto their webiste there and typed it in correctly, came up as a SZ Non-Turbo, instead of 3k a year they're now wanting 4.5k, so think i'll just keep my head low haha!!

The reason for the price increase is that your car is an import. Effectively you are not legally insured as you are giving false details about your car.

Up to yourself if you want to risk it. I personally wouldn't, but with the same token I wouldn't be insuring a car with a premium that big. Have you searched around? That's a crazy policy to be paying.

Careful also using your details on sites like GoCompare, Confused, etc. They pool your data from searches and sometimes can be used to catch you out, dunno what the chances of them actually calling you out, but theres a possibility. I learnt the hard way when searching to insure my n/a (as a young driver too)

You need to change your insurance immediately. You've admitted it on a public forum!

I'd suggest no-one use insurance websites for their Supra. You need a company that understands them, so it'll involve a bit of phoning around. Worth the leg-work though because you'll end up saving a lot of money.

phoned up this morning got it changed, 3.5k a year however, 21 year old as well, bit of a kick in the teeth but so be it

You're with the wrong insurance company bud. Even our younger members don't pay anywhere near that.

Have you checked admiral? Elephant? Direct Line? These are the insurance companies I tend to go with and they have always served me well for a reasonably stock TT. There's also Adrian flux and Sky insurance, along with a whole host of others. You really need to shop around, if you're happy paying £3.5k when you could be paying less than half that then you have more money than sense.

yeah I agree I've just turned 22 and I've insured my TT supra for £530 a year leaving my no claims on my other car and my postcode isn't amazing for insurance,

I'd definitely be shopping around for something else

That doesn't sound right either to be fair. Who are you insuring with? I don't know anyone your age who can insure a TT for that money.

That doesn't sound right either to be fair. Who are you insuring with? I don't know anyone your age who can insure a TT for that money.

I'm with admiral on a family multicar policy had 10 month remaining but I also added breakdown cover from anywhere in the UK,

The details are correct as they haven't changed about from the length of driving, paid excessive for my first years driving (£2700 for my first year on a Suzuki Jimny, that dropped to £800 in my second and have used the same details ever since

It made a difference quote wise it being a pre-facelift it nearly halved the cost so when the women on the phone told me the price after buying the car I practically threw my money at her

I'm with admiral on a family multicar policy had 10 month remaining but I also added breakdown cover from anywhere in the UK,

The details are correct as they haven't changed about from the length of driving, paid excessive for my first years driving (£2700 for my first year on a Suzuki Jimny, that dropped to £800 in my second and have used the same details ever since

It made a difference quote wise it being a pre-facelift it nearly halved the cost so when the women on the phone told me the price after buying the car I practically threw my money at her

Their interpretation from that is that it's a UK spec. There is no difference facelift/prefacelift but there's a huge difference jspec/UKspec. There can be no UK spec facelifts, so it sounds like the assumption is that it's a UK spec.

They won't give a crap till you try to file a claim. All insurance companies are the same, they'll take you at your word for anything you like...... when it comes claim time, that's when they try to find faults in your policy.

There's a history of owners getting cheap insurance policies on here, 9 times out of 10 it's a jspec being quoted as a UK spec.... which are FAR cheaper to insure. I don't know of anyone who has insurance for that sort of money, on a JSpec TT Supra, with no-no claims. Never mind someone who is under 25.

i'll double check my documents in the morning but i'm almost 100% that its insured as a jspec as i'm positive its i confirmed this on the phone to her,

i do find with quotes that earlier supra's are cheaper for me to insure than facelift models, but as you have brought this to my knowledge i'll check,

it may also confuse you more by the price that i have only been driving just over 2 and a half years, but i get similar quotes on similar performance cars that are uk cars

i'll double check my documents in the morning but i'm almost 100% that its insured as a jspec as i'm positive its i confirmed this on the phone to her,

i do find with quotes that earlier supra's are cheaper for me to insure than facelift models, but as you have brought this to my knowledge i'll check,

it may also confuse you more by the price that i have only been driving just over 2 and a half years, but i get similar quotes on similar performance cars that are uk cars

It'll state "Grey import" if the details are correct :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LeeMackie

hey i'm back haha! looked at admiral, they want 5.3k for insurance.

I've only been driving for 2 years, that's maybe the problem, I remember my Subaru's insurance was 6K in the UK, luckinly being in the Army and living in germany i was able to use German insurance which was 2K a year. However, after a year of driving the UK insurance went from 6K too 3K, so heres hopping next year brings my Supras insurance down as well (here's hoping thats the problem).

Crock, how long have you been on the road?

And Scott, cheers for the help man!