The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra mk4 Uk spec brakes feel weak/light?

supra_24

The brake fluid was done in July along with new front and rear UK calipers, discs and pads. I have also found out that all the brake lines were renewed to braided ones to, so that eliminates those.

Discs look ok from what I have been told.

Horsham Developments did tell me that initially that the front passengers side caliper was weeping a bit of fluid from the line, so they fixed it and bled that particular caliper.

They are now going to bleed the whole system for me and take off the brake discs clean them all up and go from there. That was the suggestion.

They did also mention that the system could have got air into it, which would also explain why the braking didn't feel quite right.

I have the uprated UK brakes on my jspec and I always found them to not be very responsive until you put some force behind it.

I tested this theory the other day which resulted in my mate crushing his pepsi can between his knees as i slammed on. They will stop you really fast if you want to stop really fast :D

A brace for the brake master cylinder can make a big difference to the pedal feel, if you get someone to press the brake pedal you'll be able to see how much flex there is, even more so if the larger brakes have been retro fitted.

Nic/All - Anyone recommend a brace or where to get one from? I agree with regards to the pedal feel, not like the newer cars but they certainly stop a lot quicker and smoother than newer cars!

Nic/All - Anyone recommend a brace or where to get one from? I agree with regards to the pedal feel, not like the newer cars but they certainly stop a lot quicker and smoother than newer cars!

the Carbing strut brace includes a stopper, one of the most elegant solutions

Either Carbing front brace with built in BMC stopper or 164561A Cusco Brake Cylinder Stopper. I used a Cusco one on mine which made a significant difference to the pedal feel, the Carbing brace is a neat solution if you are also wanting a front tower bar.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Getting the brakes bled fully is critical and time consuming. We had to do mine twice when changing the fluid. I have warped my discs too after a track session at Snetterton (just enough to feel) and so really should get some new rotors. I'd get some specials and some CW/Project Mu pads if I was hanging on to her, along with the master cylinder brace.

Getting the brakes bled fully is critical and time consuming. We had to do mine twice when changing the fluid. I have warped my discs too after a track session at Snetterton (just enough to feel) and so really should get some new rotors. I'd get some specials and some CW/Project Mu pads if I was hanging on to her, along with the master cylinder brace.

When we fitted my new calipers and brake lines we also replaced all the brake fluid, we used a

Mityvac vacuum bleeder and the brakes bled up in minutes

I've read somewhere that you should change the master cynlinder to a uk spec one also as they are bigger?

I've heard this too, and would be interested to know a definitive answer.

It would make sense that with the larger piston area of the UK brakes more fluid would be required to push them out a similar distance to the Jspecs, therefore to avoid pushing the pedal further to gain the extra fluid you would use a slightly larger master cylinder. I did query the different part no's at Toyota once but all they could tell me is that there are 4 different parts, they had no idea on bore sizes though.

Sorry guys, what I meant earlier was that the NA was just a shell when purchased, no engine parts or anything including master cylinder.

The guts of a Tt supra were then fitted to the NA chassis. So I would presume it has the larger cylinder.

In regards to ABS, I'm not 100% sure whether it does or not. Will have to look when I next see the car.

Ok so Horsham developments contacted me yesterday regarding my supra.

They have bled all the breaks now and have fitted the cylinder stopper.

They then took it out for a test drive and said the brakes felt a bit better, but initially there was a slight dead spot when braking, but gets better after braking more.

Haven't charged me a penny for the brake bleeding or any brake related testing. But they have said they are going to look into it further for me.