The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anybody else with good BHP feel the same.

little num

What Chris said.

Stop beating yourself up about how you used to be, you don't HAVE to ever drive like that again. That's the bit you need to get your head around. All the time you are chasing something in the past you'll just wind yourself up about it. You need to let it go, learn from the crash (there is a reason you are worried about it, it's your brain telling you you're in danger. Brains are good at this stuff, listen to it.) :)

I crashed only a couple of weeks ago mate nothing as bad as yours ive never driven anything more powerful than my bpu supra but feel for road use the 400 + bhp is more than enough !!just going out in it now it's pissing down haha wish me luck by the way your lucky to be alive( if in doubt flat out )

Nothing wrong with your reaction at all mate, Its called self preservation. Natural instinct after an accident like that. After reaching the limit of the tyres on a car, losing control and crashing, especially in the wet - I am very cautious about driving round corners and braking. You get to feel when the car isn't going to like it braking at a certain speed, once you reach that limit, back off because you are only asking for trouble - I learnt this the hard way.

I have got a lot more confident after a serious crash I had, i can still scare myself sometimes - but i know my limit, and can feel the cars limit and i don't push it much at all. I practice spinning out and small things like that (private areas ;)) just to learn control, how the car behaves and whips etc, i still put my foot down, but im not as silly as i used to be.

Besides if your foot is covering the brake, you are prepared - thinking ahead!

What sort of speeds are we talking about and in what conditions?

The most I've had the supe up to is 130 before I shit myself (and that's on an open motorway, in the dry.)

Around town, the amount of speed bumps, coppers, potholes etc means the most i've ever hit is probably 70-80 (on a carriageway, not through residentials)

Maybe its to do with the power difference, mine is still a stock TT auto? Although for 7 years previously I was driving a 1.4, 75bhp VW Golf but I didn't have a fear of driving the supra, I was used to the power and kick by the the end of my 350 mile drive home from picking her up!

Do you think it's the modifications made to the Supra that instills more confidence? Mine is completely stock (save for a few pipework bits in the bay, UK brakes and new porterfield pads all round) and I would never hammer it in the wet as I don't have confidence in 20 year old suspension parts (even from a well made motor like the supra!)

I will happily admit I drove like an absolute tool for the first 2 years after getting my licence (racing my mates (75bhp vs 105bhp), going round a roundabout the wrong way just to win etc (I said I was a tool!! :() so I consider myself lucky not to have been killed/killed someone/seriously injured and thats just in a slow mk4 golf! Once I realised I didn't want points on my licence (and never have done, thankfully!) my driving just changed instantly.

I now feel like I am more patient, calm and measured on the road. The Supra gets the odd blip when its a clear road and the conditions are good but a stock setup feels fragile.

Is it you, or is it the car?

Funny you should say that, I think the car is floating and feels unstable and mostly quite twitchy

BUT I got my brother to drive it ( bignum ) and he said it feels great and better then his.

So I think it's me, I have recently fitted TRD ARB's and the backend does feel lighter then before and they are on the softest settings.

But perhaps it's me.

As for turning it back to 400hp you have to be joking, once you drive somthing with over 550 you just want more, I'm great in straight lines and don't feel scared at all, I'll do 180 easy but soon as I come to corners I just totally loose my nerve.

Think I'm just seeing the dangers more, as some said growing up lol.

Have you changed your suspension bushes, because I don't feel confident in my supe and my car feels loose at high speed and in corners. I can't wait to get superpro bushes fitted. I have spun my supe and I understand how you feel with regards to pushing the car, although my experience is nothing like yours. I put it down to respect for the car and the engineering. Hence I am hoping that once my suspension bushes are done I will be happier about throwing the car around a bit more.

Funny you should say that, I think the car is floating and feels unstable and mostly quite twitchy

BUT I got my brother to drive it ( bignum ) and he said it feels great and better then his.

So I think it's me, I have recently fitted TRD ARB's and the backend does feel lighter then before and they are on the softest settings.

But perhaps it's me.

As for turning it back to 400hp you have to be joking, once you drive somthing with over 550 you just want more, I'm great in straight lines and don't feel scared at all, I'll do 180 easy but soon as I come to corners I just totally loose my nerve.

same here never been good with corners, hence i like drag racing. if you don't feel safe flying round corners don't do it. i would sooner fly up a straight get back home and be able to go again ,just ease back into it if feels right if not see you at the drag strip

corners.

can't see whats coming

could spin out

straight line

clear view

less to go wrong

But perhaps it's me.

I'd do some work to make the car feel more stable under hard driving if it were me. I'm an idiot though :D

same here never been good with corners, hence i like drag racing. if you don't feel safe flying round corners don't do it. i would sooner fly up a straight get back home and be able to go again ,just ease back into it if feels right if not see you at the drag strip

corners.

can't see whats coming

could spin out

straight line

clear view

less to go wrong

We think the same!

But perhaps it's me.

What suspension are you running? If you are using some kit designed for the road then I would say that could be the route of your confidence issue in the bends. I had some Ohlin coilover road kit on mine when i first got it and while it was OK on the road, at speed on the track it made the car feel nervous and gave little confidence.

The best thing I have done to the car since then is fit the Nitron NTR R3 kit. It was simply like getting into another car.

I cannot stress enough that a good set up proper set of shocks (for track use) with the correct spring rate is a must for track use.

Since installing them I shaved off over 10 seconds a lap at Goodwood, which is probably largely just down to the increased confidence I have in the car now, not to mention the increase in cornering speed, ability to ride kerbs without unsettling the car, better braking and accelerating.

May be worth looking into :)

As above really.

You have a wife and kids that love and depend on you (despite what they might say ;) ), fast cars have their risks.

Over the years as I've got older and seen people around me getting ill, having accidents or dying you being to realise your own mortality. I started to think about consequences of your actions, possibly at the risk of no longer enjoying 'the moment'. Boring eh?

It's rare I'll drive anywhere over 80 leptons, but that's mainly due motorists being so heavily policed nowadays.

Personally, I think it is because you are a massive closet gay. If you came out properly then I have no doubts that driving the car like a man would follow soon after.

Well I was going to ask when I come over soon if you'd like to show me how its done as I hear your quite the expert.