The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Run for the Border!!!

Fitz

Not sure if I'll be able to make this as I have Silverstone the same month and we'll have a new baby to look after, I'm definitely interested though.

Having a little look at the route it seems a bit of a shame to loop back and forth on day 2/3. Is there not a starting point around Loch Lomond itself? If so, that would mean the drive around Inveraray to Oban then around to Loch Tay..... no doubling back and keeps the mileage down a bit. Tricky if there's only really 1 starting point though.

I would definitely look at a loop over doubling back though. Remember Inveraray has a jail in case you want to drop anyone off there :D

It's hard trying to fit everything in over 2 days scott! It's also not helpful when I don't know your area aswell as I do up here...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard trying to fit everything in over 2 days scott! It's also not helpful when I don't know your area aswell as I do up here...

I understand that, but you may get more Southern members interested if the mileage was a little lower and not looping back and forth (ie seeing different sights instead of the same one). I know it's never going to be that simple though.

The areas you have picked are definitely spot on as it's all stunning around there.

For a loop I would suggest the following:

Loch Lomond A82 side, onto the A83 to the West Coast, up the A816 to Oban. Mileage/time would determine whether to take the A828 up to Glencoe or the A85 across towards Loch Tay.

That's not taking into account where to stay overnight. I don't know anywhere around those areas well enough for overnight stays. I dare say Oban would be an option though (Day 1 meet around Loch Lomond, Day 2 travel to Oban, day 3 travel to Loch Tay via selected route (choice of above), day 4 finish in Edinburgh.

I'm happy to help out where I can regardless of whether I go or not. Tony and West Coaster know these places really well, I'm sure they wouldn't mind pitching in with ideas for overnights etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry to see that this has came into difficulties. I have been busy with SPG organising the 2nd trip to Applecross and Skye in august 21st-23rd fri-sun)

All I want to say is that if it is likely this event isn't going ahead, and there is still an appetite to come up for a blast about in Scotland, we would be happy to welcome anyone who is interested to our trip to Applecross.

The dates and spots are set and the fine details are still being finalised, including final options for attractions on Saturday and Sunday. There will also be a deposit of in the region of £60 needed at some point to confirm bookings.

This event does see some long driving stretches, in particular day one from Glasgow is 250 miles and about 7&1/2 hours driving (with stops) so people coming up from England will need to account for an early start on the Friday and possibly need to stay the Thursday night if not setting off very early to meet up on the Friday morning.

The trip takes in some of the best driving roads in Scotland and sees us staying between campsites and b&b's (b&b first come first served basis) and a hostel/ b&b's in Skye the 2nd night.

Full details can be found here. If interested please comment early on the thread so we can accommodate numbers at the earliest opportunity.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?322290-Applecross-Invasion-2015-(August-21st-23rd)

Please believe me that in no way is this an attempt at an event hijack- if run for the border is carried forward then all the better.

If not, it makes things a little more challenging if everyone comes on the Applecross trip, but we would try our best to make it work.

It has been great to see the enthusiasm from Southern members to come up, so this might give you an option if the original plans fall through is all.

Peace

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)