Jays VVTi Single Turbo Paddleshift build thread

j_jza80

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much to report on the car, Whifbitz aren't being very forthcoming with pictures. :D (I'm not paying them to take pictures! :D )

But apparently, it was going well. From what I gather the stock turbos, manifolds, plenum etc came off without too much effort :)

And then, trouble... :eek:

The turbine housing I supplied them was proving impossible to fit. The casting of the large A/R, twin scroll housing was covering over the fittings and the retaining bolts.

As you can see, not a lot of room for activities! :D So to get around this, I've ordered a single scroll, T4 housing with a 0.82AR housing from Owen Developments. Maybe not as ideal as a twin scroll, but it will still be a very quick spooling setup with plenty of top end power :) And, a theme throughout this build has been simplifying the turbo setup, making maintenance easier, which this will definitely help with.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

It's still quite unbelievable how much more simple it makes the engine bay with the removal of the oem turbos.

Looking forward to the developments.

What are you doing about the stock tiptronic gearbox, with regards to the increased power level?

Is it the twin scroll that caused it not to fit? You got me worried now!

Yes, and no :)

The GTX 5376R is a bit of a mongrel. Basically it uses a GT35R turbine wheel and housing, but a GTX3076R compressor.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Garrett%20GTX3576R.html

The core is quite small, and the larger GT35R rear end when combined with a large twin scroll housing overhangs the core quite a bit, leaving very little room. On most turbos, you wouldn't get this issue.

It's still quite unbelievable how much more simple it makes the engine bay with the removal of the oem turbos.

Looking forward to the developments.

What are you doing about the stock tiptronic gearbox, with regards to the increased power level?

Yup :) no solenoids, vac lines or pressure tank to fail. Much easier for the DIYer to work on.

Gearbox is completely stock, but with a Whifbitz transmission cooler kit. I'll see how it holds up, but I've got a spare tiptronic gearbox should the worst happen. If I brake one, then I'll start thinking about either having a box built, going manual, or go with either the Whifbitz DCT or SRD 8 speed auto upgrade.

So to get around this, I've ordered a single scroll, T4 housing with a 0.82AR housing from Owen Developments. Maybe not as ideal as a twin scroll, but it will still be a very quick spooling setup with plenty of top end power :) And, a theme throughout this build has been simplifying the turbo setup, making maintenance easier, which this will definitely help with.

I had the exact same turbo, HKS manifold and HKS wastegate, (although I ran a 4" downpipe, midpipe and vent to atmosphere wastegate), the only time I ever noticed any lag was from pulling away from a standstill in 1st gear, about the same amount you feel in a BPU j-spec TT. Once moving lag was virtually non-existent and the response from the turbo immediate, it spooled so quickly that for the first few weeks I was constantly hitting the 7200rpm rev limit in lower gears as I wasn't use to how fast it got there and how quickly I needed to change gear.

I wouldn't be concerned about how responsive it will be, keeping the tyres gripping the road surface will be your only concern :)

Yes, and no :)

The GTX 5376R is a bit of a mongrel. Basically it uses a GT35R turbine wheel and housing, but a GTX3076R compressor.

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Garrett%20GTX3576R.html

The core is quite small, and the larger GT35R rear end when combined with a large twin scroll housing overhangs the core quite a bit, leaving very little room. On most turbos, you wouldn't get this issue.

Oh sorry I thought you'd gone with the GT3582R, sounds like it'll be even more responsive in that case!

Oh sorry I thought you'd gone with the GT3582R, sounds like it'll be even more responsive in that case!

From what I gather, it's supposed to give GT3582R power with almost GTX3076R spool. So it should be a little crazy :D one of the reasons why I went for Syvecs though, I thought the traction control might come in handy :D

From what I gather, it's supposed to give GT3582R power with almost GTX3076R spool. So it should be a little crazy :D one of the reasons why I went for Syvecs though, I thought the traction control might come in handy :D

Good choice getting the traction control :thumbs: my RLTC got a serious workout every time I floored it, it was almost laughable with the sound of the turbo spooling, pops and bangs from the RLTC and the screamer pipe doing it's thing, subtle it wasn't :D

I never had dry traction issues with my old GT35 R car, but it was wearing 285 r888 tyres on the back, and had a TRD LSD. Although I'm having a TRD diff fitted, my rear tyres are currently 255/35 18. I can't got to 285 because of my 9.5 width rear wheels, so I'm going to try a 275 40 18 running at 28-30 psi instead. But they will be all weather tyres, R888s really aren't suitable for daily driving.