The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mkiii Supra

Kaan W

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roger NE

I meant to mention that when my original engine had big end failure, I thought it was just the top end (as it sounded like a tappet noise, not like previous cars I've known with big end knock)

It's nearly always No6 bearing that goes too (at the back of the engine) . . . and if you carry on driving the slight tap tap suddenly gets really loud !

Some people say that the big end failure on the 7M is down to coolant getting in the oil when the Head Gasket fails . . . but my original engine never had HG failure (probably because I re-torqued the head down to 75 ft-lbs when I bought it, rather than Toyota's original spec of 56) . . . but one of the big ends still failed!

Yes it's sad that you can't trust some people to be honest about faults when they're selling their cars . . .

Edited by Roger NE (see edit history)

Exactly what I thought it was, sounds like tappets at No. 6 but it's very much certain the big end bearing. There is no oil or water mixed up I think the head gasket is fine, just bad luck I suppose. It makes the noise on start up with the starter motor turning the engine then the noise goes but comes back at about 1500rpm and gets louder with revs.

What would you suggest as a minimum I should take for this car in its current condition? I've had a few "what would you take for it" messages on eBay.

The wheels are very rare in the UK, an a nice staggered set of 17"s.

Rear lights are 100-150 as jdm spec.

Can't remember the rest of the car without looking at the ad.

I've been told they were quite rare but they would need a refurb, not sure how much they're worth though. If the bids don't reach £4-500 would it be worth just selling the wheels and bits and scrap the rest?