The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mkiii Supra

Kaan W

Hi all,

I'm looking for another car Mkiv/mkiii supra. As its just to get around in but still needs to be half fun would I be better off going for a turbo mkiii than a NA Mkiv?

What are people's opinions on the mkiii turbo can they still be fun? Even the turbo auto?

Cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think quite a few of us had the mkiii turbos and moved on to mkivs for a reason. They are a big and heavy car, using fairly old suspension technology and brakes that are just up to the job. They have a head gasket issue which was only really solved by fitting an uprated or replacement Toyota HG and then flushing the cooling system or replacing the rad (otherwise it just blows out again). The turbo has 240bhp as standard, the mkiv NA has 235bhp or so, and so performance should be similar.

The mkiii cars are dirt cheap now though, but they will have rust and may have issues disguised so you could be buying a money pit.

I loved my 2 mkiii's that I had, but would never go back to one now.

Thanks for the info, they are very cheap as pound for pound can still be very fun to drive compared to what else I've seen for the price range I'm looking at. This one I've been looking at in particular has had the head off and all top end gaskets replaced etc etc.

Here's the link - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-turbo------------------1989/2408760

It all seems ok for what I want it for and that's purely to get around in for a few months until my Mkiv is finished at SRD, even if it's scrapped after or stripped out and used as a track car as long as it don't die on me causing 2 cars that don't run is all I'm worried about.

Tell me what you guys think if I'm better off just waiting for a NA Mkiv :)

I think a mkiv n/a would be easier to sell than a mkiii turbo when the time comes imo the mkiii is a good car I owned one years ago but tin worm is a major problem with the rear end and autos ain't that great either the sad fact with the manual is most have been scrapped :(

My experience of the mkiii is mainly from my '92 UK spec NA auto I used to have. I loved it but it was down on power a bit. My uncle had a mkiii uk spec turbo auto when I was younger and there is definitely a difference. Mainly the turbo had a bit more of a slingshot effect out of the corners, which is to be expected.

I had the head gasket problem on mine at about 120,000 miles, so be sure the work has been done as they all suffer the same fate.

It would be exclusive, you don't see them anymore. Cool looking car too, especially with the jspec tail lights.

They tend to go for hundreds though, not thousands. I got less than £500 for mine.

Edit: mine was vandalised though and needed a windscreen.

Edited by Marcus GTE (see edit history)

Thanks guys, the model in the link is the turbo auto. Has had all major gaskets, pumps changed.

Bodywork isn't great but this spent bother me as I have the Mkiv to look pretty. I'll probably use this to get around in and run it to the ground without worrying about selling on.

Pretty decent price at £1400, had a lot of parts upgraded, MOT for a year.

6 hour journey from me though :(

Depending on your budget, and if you can find one, they also came with the 1JZ.

I was hoping I would find a 1jz, the 7m still a good engine though right? It's suppose to run 240hp as standard and has had bigger exhaust decat etc etc. Apparently you can shim the wastegate which is meant to be am easy job and unlock a few more hp.

£1,400 for any mkiii is fairly crazy unless in show condition.

For £1,500 you can get a tatty mkiv NA 5sp if you shop around.

Your choice at the end of the day, my opinion is to avoid them now as they are very old technology and when you go to sell it you wont find a buyer anywhere.

7M is like anything really, you only ever hear the bad things, if left alone and looked after they are perfectly fine. My dad had a Mk3 years ago and it never missed a beat in 40k miles.

You won't find a 1JZ car for 1500 quid, and if you do it will only be worth it for the engine lol.

Branners they are only a generation behind the Supra/Aristo/Soarer chassis, still double wishbones all round, and the come with a blue leather interior :D

Oh, and have a read of this haha

http://speedhero.wordpress.com/2010/09/06/10-reason-mk3-supras-are-garbage/

7m is not like any other engine really, there is a known issue with the head gaskets, and generally once they blow once the crud they leave in the cooling system causes it to go again, and again, and again, and again.

Be interesting to see what you make of it, having been with supras since 1996 my advice was to give it a miss especially at that price.

Well I've bought the one in the link above, seems like a bargain to me for what I want it for. I'm happy with the purchase but I'll give my feedback when it gets here Tuesday :D

If you got the white turbo from piston heads that was a good running car that will do you well the description was honest, the wheels are rare in the UK as well. The seller was a member of mkiiisupra.net

7m is not like any other engine really, there is a known issue with the head gaskets, and generally once they blow once the crud they leave in the cooling system causes it to go again, and again, and again, and again.

Be interesting to see what you make of it, having been with supras since 1996 my advice was to give it a miss especially at that price.

I appreciate your advice branners, the head gasket has been replaced and torqued down correctly with a coolant flush and read that once this had been done makes the engine pretty robust. But as you said it can go again I've only bought the car to last me 3-4 months until my Mkiv is ready to pick up from SRD so if it lasts until then it's a bonus, I won't be too bothered if it doesn't sell on as its cheap and will probably keep it as a little drift project.

If you got the white turbo from piston heads that was a good running car that will do you well the description was honest, the wheels are rare in the UK as well. The seller was a member of mkiiisupra.net

It sure is the one, I've spoke to the guy and he's been as honest as can be and it doesn't sound too bad imo. As said if it does the job of lasting a few months that's all that matters.

Guest Jason1

Stay away from the autos mate

I have had 3 mk3 supras all turbos and all modified the best one was a manual model, although I had a silver auto which is on youtube being dyno'd

There is plenty of info on them the best being supramania in the states.

Profec b was the best boost control I used on them, don't shim the wastegate it is a very crude and uncontrollable way of doing things

Also the ct26 is only good for 1bar anything else is just heat and even at 1 bar the turbo wont last long I went through two in 6 months.

I got a hybrid stage 2 turbo technics and pushed to 18psi and it was great but don't forget to upgrade the cooling system as even with a new gasket there is a chance of it blowing again,

Poloybush do all the bushes for them and coilovers are dirt cheap.

I loved mine but upgraded to a mkiv

Check out Supramania and the mkiiisupra.net they have great info

I absolutely loved my mk3, If I could find another 1g I'd buy one again, though a 1j would be very nice, mine drove so nicely and the steering feel was spot on, a lot better than the mkiv imo.

[video=youtube;0LNaVIZ-K_o]

Thanks for the input everyone, I had the car delivered yesterday and all seems good so far. I'm not gunno spend a penny on this if I can help it all I want is for it to last me until my Mkiv is finished at SRD.

Any particular reason to stay away from the auto Jason? I thought they were quite good box's.

I lost count of how many MKIII head gasket changes I did when I had a garage in Northenden. The trade were flogging MKIII's left right and centre back then, and nearly every one seemed to end up at my garage :) I would refuse to do them unless they also had a new genuine rad in them at the same time. The engine has a basic design error and the gasket clamping is inadequate. Gurgling heater and erratic heater output is your call to go to the bank and raid your account. Air flow metering units are very flaky too, and it's hard to find used ones that are not goosed. I can sometimes fix them, other times they are scrap.

So I've had the car since Tuesday and already my heaters have stopped working and it makes a gurgling when I switch settings. The bloke replaced the heater matrix hose before he dropped the car off and said it could be an air lock and to bleed the system. Or does this sound more like the head gasket issue to you? Also a mate who followed me yesterday said after heavy acceleration the car would have a faint cloud of smoke/mist chasing it.