The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best coilovers?

jazz1

what about the kw's supraforums bang on about these you can get them direct from the uk for £1467 http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/coilover/products.php?vid=722

I know everyone is different but I can not see the point of spending 2.5k on coilovers for a road car or even a track car unless you are good then it might improve the lap times you only have to look at bignum's videos he's on kyb's and I bet he would embarrass those running double or triple the cost of suspension

what about the kw's supraforums bang on about these you can get them direct from the uk for £1467 http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/coilover/products.php?vid=722

I know everyone is different but I can not see the point of spending 2.5k on coilovers for a road car or even a track car unless you are good then it might improve the lap times you only have to look at bignum's videos he's on kyb's and I bet he would embarrass those running double or triple the cost of suspension

He's building the best car on the forum this = big budget

It's not about spending loads money or building the best car, the fact I wasted a lot of money on HKS to corrode is a Joke, the reason why nitron caught my eye is the quality material they have used, plus the recommendation on here. After looking into Nitron I think it's fair to say they are high quality stuff, besides Im selling my soul to fork the costs.

I have them - they're ace :) Epic ride quality even with TRD ARB's.

I had Tein Mono Flex on my last car and they were OK if a little harsh and that was having the dampening controller to play with in the car. Tein are also a pain to get repaired or serviced, if not next to impossible.

My current Supra has custom sprung and valved Bilsteins, which Mr Wilson sorted for Dan. Coupled with completely nearly new suspension components and Titan anti roll bars, it's an amazing drive. So much so that my wife commented on it (trust me it was a first in any car).

Very impressed so far and the roads round my way are like an African dirt track.

Edited by mwilkinson (see edit history)

I've had Teins/Bilsteins/Meister R/Spax/Cusco/H&R and by far and away the best all rounders have been the Tein Flex's (stay away from Superstreets, they are terrible). The first thing anyone mentions when they have been in my car is how nice it rides, minimal body roll yet not crashy and really takes the bumps in its stride.

I hope jazz doesn't mind me asking this in his thread but i don't see the point of starting a second thread when one about coilovers has only just been made :)

I'm just wondering what u guys think are the best coilovers for purely street for around the £800 mark? So things like K-sport, D2, HSD and others in that price range. I don't want to spend a ton because i'm never going to track the car most likely, I just want a good ride quality for UK streets and small amount of body roll? Thanks

For that budget I would go with the new tein street Flex £900

I hope jazz doesn't mind me asking this in his thread but i don't see the point of starting a second thread when one about coilovers has only just been made :)

I'm just wondering what u guys think are the best coilovers for purely street for around the £800 mark? So things like K-sport, D2, HSD and others in that price range. I don't want to spend a ton because i'm never going to track the car most likely, I just want a good ride quality for UK streets and small amount of body roll? Thanks

Glad to hear that, I've just bought some.

From experience...set the collar height to ~70mm all round MINIMUM for the first fit. That's 70mm from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the collar. Mine are at 74mm right now and I drag the exhaust on the odd lump. I could get away with a fraction lower most of the time though. Especially when the exhaust mod is done to tuck it up a little higher.

Anyone fitted the Nitron stuff here I just checked and they look superb quality. The R3 look very tempting.

I have The Nitron NTR Race R3 on my track car.

It was simply the best upgrade I have done and quite simply the best suspension I have ever used.

However just buying good suspension is not enough... you have to have them set up properly.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

From experience...set the collar height to ~70mm all round MINIMUM for the first fit. That's 70mm from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the collar. Mine are at 74mm right now and I drag the exhaust on the odd lump. I could get away with a fraction lower most of the time though. Especially when the exhaust mod is done to tuck it up a little higher.

Thanks Alex, that's very helpful info. They are all mounted up on the car now with bump and rebound settings as per the instructions, but yet to set the the height. Weekend Job :)