The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New tyres

AndrewOW

Care to elaborate as to why you say they're terrible ?

Which Pilot sports do you have ? the PS2 has very good reviews

I'm not sure, but I can check later which they are. The wet grip is terrible compared to the Goodyear Eagle F1s on the stock wheels (could be to do with less sidewall). Once, they span as the second turbo came on in 4th gear, which was not fun at all.

The dry grip is also bad and they can spin in 3rd in the dryest conditions. There doesn't seem to be any difference between them being cold or warm either.

I did buy them as part worns with 4mm tread on, and I've read that grip can be compromised when they've worn down a bit, but I was shocked at the difference between these and the Eagle F1s which take a lot to spin in the dry and don't spin at all in second in the wet.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Care to elaborate as to why you say they're terrible ?

Which Pilot sports do you have ? the PS2 has very good reviews

I had PS2's on the Mrs's A4 TDi, couldn't fault them really, It was only 165BHP and 285lbs/ft though compared to a TT Supra. Still, they wore well and offered decent grip. Pretty sure I had PS1's on the Supra at some point too.

I had some Vreds once...... Never again, lasted 6 months, the ones I had wore at a ridiculous pace.

They were on the front of an astra gte and covered around 800 miles per week..... Vowed I would never use them again.

That'a nearly 20,000 miles. Depending on how hard you drove it and the wheel alignment, that doesn't seem too bad.

I had some Vreds once...... Never again, lasted 6 months, the ones I had wore at a ridiculous pace.

They were on the front of an astra gte and covered around 800 miles per week..... Vowed I would never use them again.

That seems quite good to me considering. I used to budget for new rubber every 3,000 miles in my Supra ;)

Absolutely this...in my experience at stock levels of power dry grip is not really an issue with even more budget tyres, but poor wet grip can ruin the whole standard Supra owning experience. I've looked at wear rate in the past for tyres for other cars but can honestly say I've never considered a mpg rating gain/deficit...I'd like to see the stats for the best mpg vs the worst it can't be in the 5mpg range can it? even if it is with a Supra its the ideal place to compromise if the wet grip is excellent which in my opinion it is with the sessanta's.

What you boys on about lol, what he really wants is a set of these front and back like me - 285/30/18 rears - 255/35/18 fronts not used them in wet conditions yet lol.

Federal FZ201 and I must say how the hell they got these road legal my mind boggles.

Have a look at Avon zz3's, i had them on the front of my supra and was impressed with them in

the wet and dry

Sensibly priced too

I have a set of zz3s all round. Used them for almost 4k miles and still about 7mm of tread left.

Really impressed with cornering wet grip, and 35mpg is possible (tt auto bpu) so I dont know what that poor fuel rating is on about.

I have used Kuhmo tyres, Continental Sport contact 2/3, Bridgestone Potenzas, Pirelli P Zeros and Michelin Pilot Sports. My tyres of choice are the potenzas. They wear quite fast but my rear wheels are cambered to stupid levels and the inside shoulder wears off first. I know I need the Geometry doing :). The Continentals would be my second choice. The Michelin pilot sports weren't too bad if you got them cheap and I liked the Pirellis although they wore stupidly fast but did not grip better than the potenzas. The kuhmo would only go on if it had to as it's a very hard tyre and wears the slowest but doesn't make me very confident going fast around corners and slippy in the rain.

• 4 weeks later...