The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single for £6000

craig l

Chris, reading back what I initially wrote, I will have to apologize for my tone. I didn't mean it that way ;)

However I truly believe that the Syvecs didn't save the autobox, but the tune did. If it was an AEM or whatever ecu tuned with lower torque for the box, it will be the same.

Just to add to this, it probably would be down to the Syvecs if the box survived for so long as not only does the Syvecs monitor the engine for safety trips it also monitors transmission on some of the beta firmwars i have been testing on customers cars for over a year to make sure we dont break so many boxes as our competitors have and now we can fully control the gearbox with even more safety trips. More on this in Jan at autosport but start looking at the ISF 8 Speed box guys ;)

Any competitor could write a strategy for controlling a few outputs to run a auto for example but its having the safety trips present that in the event say excessive slip or transmission temp is seen it limps to protect the box like OEM.

Here are some of the trips present of the top of my head that has gained me a few crates of beers each year at christmas when the trip has saved a customers investment.

- Lean Lambda - Very Advance system that doesn't get effected from Traction control, rev limits etc

- Fuel Pressure- Monitors Fuel pressure against boost pressure and trips if pressure drops by say the vacuum feed popping off the Reg

- Fuel Supply Pressure - Monitors pressure before the rail and trips the pump off if the pressure drops rapidly ie a fuel pipe split.

- Crank case pressure - Trips engine before too much damage is done internally after a ring has cracked

- Temp Trips - Trips for oil, transmission temp, coolant, egt, fuel temps etc

- Fuel Composition - Trims and trips for different fuel compositions useful for 95, 99ron and ethanol tuning as 99ron fuel contains ethanol where as 95ron doesn't

- Oil Pressure trip - Trips if oil pressure drops below threshold

- Clutch slip trip - Monitors input and Output shaft against ratios given to detect slip and trip

In fact you can set a trip against anything on the ecu nearly now

Merry Christmas All

Ryan

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to this, it probably would be down to the Syvecs if the box survived for so long as not only does the Syvecs monitor the engine for safety trips it also monitors transmission on some of the beta firmwars i have been testing on customers cars for over a year to make sure we dont break so many boxes as our competitors have and now we can fully control the gearbox with even more safety trips. More on this in Jan at autosport but start looking at the ISF 8 Speed box guys ;)

Any competitor could write a strategy for controlling a few outputs to run a auto for example but its having the safety trips present that in the event say excessive slip or transmission temp is seen it limps to protect the box like OEM.

Here are some of the trips present of the top of my head that has gained me a few crates of beers each year at christmas when the trip has saved a customers investment.

- Lean Lambda - Very Advance system that doesn't get effected from Traction control, rev limits etc

- Fuel Pressure- Monitors Fuel pressure against boost pressure and trips if pressure drops by say the vacuum feed popping off the Reg

- Fuel Supply Pressure - Monitors pressure before the rail and trips the pump off if the pressure drops rapidly ie a fuel pipe split.

- Crank case pressure - Trips engine before too much damage is done internally after a ring has cracked

- Temp Trips - Trips for oil, transmission temp, coolant, egt, fuel temps etc

- Fuel Composition - Trims and trips for different fuel compositions useful for 95, 99ron and ethanol tuning as 99ron fuel contains ethanol where as 95ron doesn't

- Oil Pressure trip - Trips if oil pressure drops below threshold

- Clutch slip trip - Monitors input and Output shaft against ratios given to detect slip and trip

In fact you can set a trip against anything on the ecu nearly now

Merry Christmas All

Ryan

Crap bit of kit then :D

The "poor guy" handed over £6k of his hard earned, without knowing exactly what he was getting. With your experience of the motor trade, you must realise what an incredibly naive thing to do that was? And it's early days for this particular install. Don't you think it is prudent to make the OP aware of potential issues?

I really don't see what the issue is in recommending club traders over unknown parties? Surely this is just common sense? Yes, the OP may well end up with a fantastic car in the end, but we're purely speculating.

We should be encouraging inexperienced members to be buying tested parts, and to be fully aware of what it is they are getting. Remember, the OP started this thread asking for opinions on what he has done, and that is exactly what he has been given.

I really wish the OP the best of luck with this, but I would never in good conscience recommend that anyone go about a single install in the way he has.

Most of my customers dont KNOW what they are getting, they ask me to build X and Y to do A and B and make E and F HP !!!! For example Im doing a Turbo S he is getting my Ti exhaust some metal diverter valves and trick intercoolers, he doesnt really know what anyone of them is or where it comes from, he does know the parts are almost half a scheap as he has been quoted and they work well on my car !!!! Personally I think everyone just pissed on his chips, its a mechanic he has used and trusted for 2 years not a guy outside Lidl.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

I agree with dude on this, Its very hard to get trusted on this forum and that's from a point of view from an outsider trying there best to become part of the fold.

I know more than most how many dodgy people there are in the world, but there are still some really honest and hard working people that aren't part of this forum.

Tim