The mkiv Supra Owners Club

magnetic oil drain bolts (link)

ashbuster

Or, in layman's terms, worthless eBay tat :D

I wouldn't say that. When you do a head on valve stem oil seal job and drop a collet down a head oil drain hole they are useful! But a large speaker magnet attached to the outside of the sump pan also safely holds magnetic shrapnel, it's just you don't get to retrieve or examine it until you take the pan off. I have found all manner of wondrous bits and bobs on magnetic sump plugs, including a safety pin, a ball bearing and a AAA battery.... Plus the normal small nuts and bolts that are less interesting.

those things are total rubbish. The amount of times i've had to drill those out on customers cars because they are rounded off. or just snap when trying to do a service because they've seized into the steel sump threads.

I would never recommend those.

you can get steel ones though as i bought a load for all my cars.

i do recommend a magnetic sump plug though its a good idea. Just not those.

Tim

people have asked what do you expect to find on these when doing a service.

well all engines will product very fine metal particles, usually extremely fine that won't get picked up by a filter. This is the kind of thing that gets collected by it. typically resulting to a small metal afro on the plug. its so fine its almost like a graphite grease.

I also find these a very good investment (well not these alloy ones) when doing a new engine build as this is when metal particle creation is at its highest during the running in period. I fit these to every new engine I build now

Tim

For a couple of quid, it's peace of mind knowing I have a spare should I get ham fisted! Lol. One of those things I'll probably never use but if I don't have it and need it, would be a PITA!

Hadn't looked at the link yet! Lol. For £20 I won't be buying a spare! Wasn't going to buy ali, don't trust it after having ali wheel nuts deform just by looking at them!

The only problem is its a sump off job to clean them

That's true but if theres a few in there you could go a long time between cleaning. I recently done an 80k autobox and there was minimal metal shavings in there and going buy the colour of the transfluid I don't think it had been changed much at all. Your new trans fluid sorted that out Dunk:thumbs:

That's true but if theres a few in there you could go a long time between cleaning. I recently done an 80k autobox and there was minimal metal shavings in there and going buy the colour of the transfluid I don't think it had been changed much at all. Your new trans fluid sorted that out Dunk:thumbs:

Good news mate and glad to help.

those things are total rubbish. The amount of times i've had to drill those out on customers cars because they are rounded off. or just snap when trying to do a service because they've seized into the steel sump threads.

I would never recommend those.

you can get steel ones though as i bought a load for all my cars.

i do recommend a magnetic sump plug though its a good idea. Just not those.

Tim

through idiots over tightening them.

if you dont over tighten them there shouldnt be a problem

through idiots over tightening them.

if you dont over tighten them there shouldnt be a problem

This is true if your ever screwing ANYTHING that's a soft metal into something that's a hard one and vise versa. Ive seen some good alloy wheel caps ruined this way.

I've found with the alloy ones you need to do them tight enough to seal but then they start to mess up after time. or loose enough where they don't round but leak.

£20 is abit much. they shouldn't be more than £12.00 including postage

I can't comment on where to get them from for breach of trader rules on this forum.

Tim