The mkiv Supra Owners Club

knocking noise under car while reversing (Update)

Dim Sum

I had the engine mounts issue. When the car was moving or gears were engaged, the vibration went away. Once it was in drive or reverse there was a horrible vibration through the dashboard.

If it is doing it while the car moving I doubt it will be the mounts. I would bet this is diff or drive shaft related.

H.

Yes, you can see if the clearnce between the two halves of the mount are too close together or even touching, on a ramp, with a good light source. If someone posts a photo of an engine mount I will indicate where to look. The late mountings are notorious for trouble. Do you feel a slight tremor through the car and steering wheel when it's idling in neutral?

Don't think I can feel any slight tremor at all when the cars idling in neutral. I could get a second opinion on that maybe with a friend, But myself I don't feel anything

I had the engine mounts issue. When the car was moving or gears were engaged, the vibration went away. Once it was in drive or reverse there was a horrible vibration through the dashboard.

If it is doing it while the car moving I doubt it will be the mounts. I would bet this is diff or drive shaft related.

H.

The noises and knocking are not there when driving, its only reverse or anything to do with the car going backwards. So gear in neutral does cause knocking too.

Plus its like a lottery with this, one week I won't knock at all and then suddenly comes back and disappear again.

So I guess as you mentioned diff or drive shaft maybe.

Would I buy a spare diff?

If just rolling downhill backwards, in neutral, steering pretty straight ahead, produces a knock, from time to time, I would DEFINITELY investigate sticking calipers, or excess movement in the caliper of the pad(s).

Thank you Chris, really appreciate your input and advice right now. Wish you was closer, I probably would just give you the Supra and sort it out and end my misery.

But I will check the calipers at one point and report back.

Still sounds very much like a brake / pad / caliper issue to me. Most unlikely to be propshaft or rear drive shaft issue. Also unlikely to be a differential issue. When you said under the driver side, I assumed towards the front, but if you think it could be from the rear get someone outside the car to crouch down by all 4 wheels (one at a time unless they're damned athletic) and listen. If it's from the rear I like LOGIE's idea of hand brake shoes. Broken return spring or lining come away from the metal backing.

Yes, sorry, I should have been a lot clearer. The handbrake operates as a small drum brake inside the bell of each rear disc, via cables from the handbrake lever. Each drum contains a pair of brake shoes. their design means they can grab in reverse even if they appear to be OK in a forward motion, if there is an internal problem, or the cable does not have enough slack, or is partially seized or sticky.

I didnt have a lot of time today but I jacked the Supra up, the rear driver side first, I then spinned the wheel in reverse for some time and at one point it locked and didnt want to move, so I spinned the wheel going forwards instead and it was fine. while it was spinning I was trying to listen to any sounds or knocking but I didnt hear anything. Then I spin the wheel in reverse and was fine so I decided to spin it for a while but it didnt lock again.

I did the same for the passenger side but it did not lock.

So hopefully its one side I have to check. I will remove the rear capilers and disc to check the drum at one point this week.

hi chris, my car does a sort of wobble only when in reverse, i noticed it in my works car park few months bk, happens when i reverse bk and up a very slight slope. can see the front of the car move up and down slightly, if that makes sense

Yes, sorry, I should have been a lot clearer. The handbrake operates as a small drum brake inside the bell of each rear disc, via cables from the handbrake lever. Each drum contains a pair of brake shoes. their design means they can grab in reverse even if they appear to be OK in a forward motion, if there is an internal problem, or the cable does not have enough slack, or is partially seized or sticky.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I have slack the handbrake cable and now its been about the fourth day since the last accident (the knocking noises) everything seems fine, the rear wheels didn't lock so you are spot on. Hopefully this be the end of the knocking noises.

Thanks Chris

I'd be taking the caliper and disc off to have a look

I did, everything was fine behind the disc, so that's when I decided to slack the cable a little and so far so good.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be taking the caliper and disc off to have a look

I did, everything was fine behind the disc, so that's when I decided to slack the cable a little and so far so good.

Is it still ok? My mate took his to toyota today and whereas they could hear the noise, they could not diagnose the problem. His advice, "Drive it until it gets worse." Not my kind of answer really.

lol you know what, thats my mate said at first.

Well I ain't had any trouble since I slack the handbrake cable, was going to update this after January to see if it is solved. Only because I ain't really driven the Supra, I would want to drive more to confirm this, but so far I probably driven 30 miles its been good. No play at all.