The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really Need help with a car please guys.

drew 007

That car is a 6 speed VVTi. It's certainly a risk at that price, but I think it's worth further investigation, as all the visible supporting parts are high quality and expensive (those brakes especially). I wouldn't be surprised if this car was hiding an F-Con ECU tbh.

Service history wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'd definitely want it up on a ramp for a thorough inspection, and a compression check. I'd also whip the dash panels off for a look at the wiring after Homers recent experience, there's a lot of aftermarket electronics in that cabin!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does a 1998 facelift have indicators on the wings? Perhaps it's been in a bump.

They look like they have been retrofitted to the wings rather than being the OEM ones. So I'm thinking they were possibly added to retain a side repeater when the front bumper (which has no side repeaters like an OEM facelift) was fitted? :)

Hi Guys, really appreciate all the help and ideas as i really want my first supra to be a good one. :)

Yeah I've contacted Jurgen a month a two ago with regards to finding me a car if poss but nothing has come through as of yet that fits my criteria. :(

I don't know what it is….but I'm sure its when i pictured myself in a supra when i was growing up it was always the rsp blue :sly: so i think thats where my heart lies? To be honest it wasn't the spec or the bhp claim that drew me to the car it was the colour, spec is a bonus but that said its a massive problem for me as i really like paperwork receipts etc…just as thats what I've always done with every car I've owned kept everything documented. But thats me.

I sopose i can go and view the car with a kind member off here if that would be possible? and really make my mind up there and then rather trying to guess whats been done? viewing the car can't hurt i sopose?

But as said i can't rule with my heart…no mot/tax then transportation then full service new battery and a few other bits to buy, simply before i even get to drive the car!!! It does sound a lot of hard work this?? :Pling:

Ow and the bumper and side skirts will need to come straight off!! :(

But as said i can't rule with my heart…no mot/tax then transportation then full service new battery and a few other bits to buy, simply before i even get to drive the car!!! It does sound a lot of hard work this?? :Pling:

Ow and the bumper and side skirts will need to come straight off!! :(

I would personally buy Budz as he has a great 6-speed TT with very good known parts that is just asking for a single turbo yet has had (iirc) a lot of the main parts for going single done with perhaps one of the best ecu's available http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?294421-SRD-built-TT6-BPU-with-Syvecs

It would be an easier task to get a decent car painted rsp over making a non road usable potential lemon road worthy.

Thanks for the heads up buddy top man, but I'm not looking for a white supra sadly as thats a great buy for somebody sadly not me.

And like i say the spec and single turbo doesn't bother me yet i would drive a standard one for a while to appreciate the car then years down the line start going down the single route as i say it was the colour not the spec. :)

Thanks for the heads up buddy top man, but I'm not looking for a white supra sadly as thats a great buy for somebody sadly not me.

And like i say the spec and single turbo doesn't bother me yet i would drive a standard one for a while to appreciate the car then years down the line start going down the single route as i say it was the colour not the spec. :)

Would it not be worth looking at spraying costs on a solid car to tailor make to your requirements? I think you are getting sucked in slightly by the colour as they don't exactly pop up too often. Westy waited patiently and his 1A1 6speed (I think) showed up eventually sourced through Jurgen at Jm imports after a while, It would be sad to see you post a thread in a few weeks along the lines of £11k wasted ect.

I just get the impression that the guy selling this car has no idea what has and hasn't been done and you will just be buying a disaster. My advice would either be to A) wait for Jurgen to pull through B) one miraculously comes up for sale C) get a solid car and respray it.

It is a long journey to travel from Yorkshire to Essex to see a dud, maybe try offering someone some cash to go and see it for you to investigate rather than an arduous journey for something you can't even road test.

Ive found out the car is in Kent and would really like to go and see the car i know…but i feel i must at least see the car speak to the guy in person etc..before i make any decisions. The only thing is its like a 7 hour round trip just to see the car.

So my question to anybody that either lives near Kent or is willing to meet me on route from Sheffield to Kent is if you really wouldn't mind coming with me to see the car as said you will be accomodated (not like Graham says) :D and be in the knowing somebody isn't going to go and waste his hard earned money on a pile!!! If you are good enough to give me your time then it will be when its best for you so we would need to organise etc..I would love for a couple of guys to come with me cover all the angles etc..;) but i think I'm wishing there hahah.

I know who ever does come there not at liberty etc…its just a friendly helping hand your giving.:friday:

Kind regards,

Drew.

If i was spending this kind of money i'd be looking at cars advertised like mine or with a project

thread in this club showing whats been done etc etc, taking someones word for how well a cars been

looked after i couldn't do.

Here's a link to my sale thread to show you what i mean, mines sold now though and i'm

just using it as an example :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?275693-Black-UK-TRD-Widebody

Would it not be worth looking at spraying costs on a solid car to tailor make to your requirements? I think you are getting sucked in slightly by the colour as they don't exactly pop up too often. Westy waited patiently and his 1A1 6speed (I think) showed up eventually sourced through Jurgen at Jm imports after a while, It would be sad to see you post a thread in a few weeks along the lines of £11k wasted ect.

I just get the impression that the guy selling this car has no idea what has and hasn't been done and you will just be buying a disaster. My advice would either be to A) wait for Jurgen to pull through B) one miraculously comes up for sale C) get a solid car and respray it.

It is a long journey to travel from Yorkshire to Essex to see a dud, maybe try offering someone some cash to go and see it for you to investigate rather than an arduous journey for something you can't even road test.

The best post I've seen from you :D

Yeah, I agree, no tax and no MOT and "lost" paperwork sounds a bit dodgy. Get a good one off a member or get Jurgen to import you one that you know will be good to you.

Ive found out the car is in Kent and would really like to go and see the car i know…but i feel i must at least see the car speak to the guy in person etc..before i make any decisions. The only thing is its like a 7 hour round trip just to see the car.

So my question to anybody that either lives near Kent or is willing to meet me on route from Sheffield to Kent is if you really wouldn't mind coming with me to see the car as said you will be accomodated (not like Graham says) :D and be in the knowing somebody isn't going to go and waste his hard earned money on a pile!!! If you are good enough to give me your time then it will be when its best for you so we would need to organise etc..I would love for a couple of guys to come with me cover all the angles etc..;) but i think I'm wishing there hahah.

I know who ever does come there not at liberty etc…its just a friendly helping hand your giving.:friday:

Kind regards,

Drew.

I live in billericay mate in Essex, would be happy to come along and help you look at the car if you want, and think Billericay would be pretty much on the way down into Kent, offers there if your interested, just let me a know a time and a date, PM me if you like :)

as for the RSP's they are very hard to come by, Just give Jurgen some time I'm sure he will find you a good one :)

Service history wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I'd definitely want it up on a ramp for a thorough inspection, and a compression check. I'd also whip the dash panels off for a look at the wiring after Homers recent experience, there's a lot of aftermarket electronics in that cabin!

On the contrary UK service history is everything with used and especially performance cars like these.

I'd be super surprised if any seller would allow a buyer to strip the dash off.

I wouldn't even let the buyer test drive the car without any insurance.

Imi

Edited by imi (see edit history)

On the contrary UK service history is everything with used and especially performance cars like these.

I'd be super surprised if any seller would allow a buyer to strip the dash off.

I wouldn't even let the buyer test drive the car without any insurance.

Imi

If someone came round to see a Supra I was selling, I'd happily remove the dash panels for them. It's only a five minute job.

I'd have no issue buying a car without service history, although I certainly wouldn't be paying the asking price unless it was already heavily reduced.

Anyone with a computer can easily fake parts receipts and say they've done the work themselves, and I'm sure that happens a lot.

Don't get me wrong, if I was buying a car as an investment, I wouldn't consider something without a full and thorough service history. But for a car to be used, I'd go without service history for the right price.

Anyone with a computer can easily fake parts receipts and say they've done the work themselves, and I'm sure that happens a lot.

Fair point - guess its similar to how most cars from Japan seem to have around 60K miles on the clock despite being close to 20 years old now........:blink:

I'd always consider a car with UK service history over a Jap Import for example - that would give me some assurance over an unknown.

Only way to be absolutely sure is a thorough inspection like you suggest. Removing parts however is going a tad far - guess it depends on how desperate the seller is.

Edited by imi (see edit history)