The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far

Big Supes

Awesome. Well done mate the hard work pays off.

I shall be in the evening, as im working in the day. Im picking some seats up of parry.

Do it mate, very rare over here, only seen one set. Makes you stand out from the crowd.

Ok bud, cool. I'll catch you at the meet.

Going to give the banding some serious thought. Spacers and monster OE wheels would look pretty effin sweet. :)

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I thought uk spec turbos were rated to 1.3 bar? Lovely looking supra though mate, can't wait to see more updates

Ran my UK's at 1.25 - 1.3 bar, never 1.4 and they were still going strong when i sold it at 137k miles

Made approx 420 hp on a hub dyno

Thanks drift bear, will get some more pics up when I get the chance to get it out in the dry and clean it.

Regarding boost, I was only intending to run 1.2 bar as I read it was the recommended limit for UK turbos and AFR. I'll get my wideband AFR gauge mounted and the harness ran into the engine bay this weekend also, ready for the bung to be welded onto the exhaust for the lambda.

Was also thinking of doing the TTC mod as I read the power delivery is smoother and it prolongs the life of the second turbo.

Ok bud, cool. I'll catch you at the meet.

Going to give the banding some serious thought. Spacers and monster OE wheels would look pretty effin sweet. :)

Thanks drift bear, will get some more pics up when I get the chance to get it out in the dry and clean it.

Regarding boost, I was only intending to run 1.2 bar as I read it was the recommended limit for UK turbos and AFR. I'll get my wideband AFR gauge mounted and the harness ran into the engine bay this weekend also, ready for the bung to be welded onto the exhaust for the lambda.

Was also thinking of doing the TTC mod as I read the power delivery is smoother and it prolongs the life of the second turbo.

TTC Is great mate, it makes the car a total different thing!

I ran my uk's at 1.4 bar mate and they where fine, but yeah as dnk said between 1.3 and 1.4 you don't see much difference bhp wise.

I've never had uk turbos, so just going by what I read :D

Its good fun :D

Hell, yes. :thumbs: :D

Popped off a boost hose last night so I've just ordered a new silicone hose set from Whifbitz (mine has had better days) and some high torque Jubilees are on the way.

I'm still getting some odd overheating/water pressure/air locks. Went to Toyota this morning to collect a new rad cap to find the pillock had ordered a plastic cap for the expansion tank. Main dealers, eh! :rolleyes:

Popped another boost hose off and developed a slight miss. Pretty sure it's down to another pipe that's come loose as the boost gauge is reading -75 on vacuum. No more playing now until the new pipes and jubilees arrive. :innocent:

Is it the pipes that control the actuators on top of the turbos or the big one running to the inlet manifold? if its a later that one is a little s***e popped off on mine a number of times, the hard pipe kit from whiffin fixes it well. Also don't run a uk spec if they pop off otherwise you'll need new plugs and to reset the ECU.

think i've got that right sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it the pipes that control the actuators on top of the turbos or the big one running to the inlet manifold? if its a later that one is a little s***e popped off on mine a number of times, the hard pipe kit from whiffin fixes it well. Also don't run a uk spec if they pop off otherwise you'll need new plugs and to reset the ECU.

think i've got that right sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Ahh, I was so close to popping off the negative terminal to reset the ECU, but left it as I didn't have any warning lights. I'll do that when I come to fitting the new pipes and check over the spark plugs.

The guilt pipe was the 90 degree coming off the throttle body. Such a shame as it was pulling like a rocket. :D

Have a few jobs to tackle this week/weekend before the Basingstoke meet on the 2nd:

Sort dash illumination issue - 10amp fuses keep blowing.

Replace rad cap, bleed water coolant and investigate why the expansion tank return pipe is blowing air into the tank, pressurising the tank.

Replace boost hoses.

Oil and filter change.

Ahh, I was so close to popping off the negative terminal to reset the ECU, but left it as I didn't have any warning lights. I'll do that when I come to fitting the new pipes and check over the spark plugs.

The guilt pipe was the 90 degree coming off the throttle body. Such a shame as it was pulling like a rocket. :D

Have a few jobs to tackle this week/weekend before the Basingstoke meet on the 2nd:

Replace rad cap, bleed water coolant and investigate why the expansion tank return pipe is blowing air into the tank, pressurising the tank.

Replace boost hoses.

Oil and filter change.

If it's not blowing smoke out of the exhaust like a bond car and having an iratic idle like it's about to stall you'll be fine mate :)

Idle is/was erratic... with the increased vacuum on the boost gauge I was hoping this was down to another boost leak (prob out of sight, joining onto the SMIC). I did limp it to the nearest garage after the pipe blew off. I'll pull the spark plugs and inspect them... will compression test it whilst I'm there.

Having spent years in the sign game, I'm seriously considering wrapping Supes. I'm bored of the silver and it would be criminal to spray the original paint that has been so well looked after all these years.

Spandex are offering new metallic matte finish wrapping vinyls.

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

Dont do it mate the 199 looks great imo, even if it is common. Plus yours is in great condition too. I personally dislike satin/matt finishes, If your going to wrapp it do it a gloss colour even though you don't get the same depth of colour as a paint job.

Yeah, the 199 does look great, but it's just so 'ordinary' to me, nowadays. It also doesn't help that this is my second silver Supra.

Hmm, did think about gloss black, but it scratches quite easily. I'll get hold of a colour chart and have a looksy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jobs ticked off the list:

Full BPU.

30mm suspension drop.

Replace boost hoses.

New facelift rear lights.

Looking rather pleased with himself, I think...

8LRpbNW.jpg

dWKPvVj.jpg

U0kEzEf.jpg

SCIYggw.jpg

Edited by Big Supes (see edit history)

Looking lovely dude, you enjoying the bpu.

Cheers Jake. We're slowly getting there. Yes, loving the bpu. Its just about right for me at the moment so I've decided to ditch the single plans for this year and just enjoy the stages.

Looks lovely. What is the mileage?

H.

Thanks mate. I bought it at the end of October with 90k on the clock. It's reading 93k now.

The service book has been stamped religiously since birth which is always nice. :)

good work mate, loving the boost controller, got my eyes on the same one.

Thanks mate. It took around an hour to decide where to mount the thing. :D Pretty happy with the location... it's easy to access when driving and I didn't have to botched the dash when running the harness.

Me too!

Ive looked at them all on whifbitz site, and that one looks the coolest! maybe not the best way to pick things... :-)

I have to admit... the look was definitely a factor. Have never been a fan of the VHF-like Profec B Spec II and wanted something minimalistic yet fully functional.

looks fantastic mate. looks like the springs found a proper home :thumbs:

Cheers Dan. Well chuffed with the springs mate. It's not low-low, but kinda gives it a up-to-date stock stance.

thats one tidy looking sup :thumbs:

Thanks buddy.

• 1 month later...

Thanks matey. It'll be interesting... I'll be spending tomorrow night going over all the boost pipes as I think I have a leak. I get nasty boost spikes every now 'n then so have to set the boost to 1.1 in case it jumps up .3.

Bluewater sounds good... We'll have to pick the right month, then I need to persuade everyone else to come up. :D

• 1 month later...
  • Big Supes changed the title to Big Supes' UK-Spec - The Story So Far