The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec Supra value

Guest supraiq

This. I sold the 6 speed conversion from my NA6 for over £3500!!

Oh, and the best adverts to show your insurance company will be those of Paul Brown Cars. And get Jurgen-JM Imports to give you a valuation. If anyone will know what it's worth, it's him!

Thanks a lot! :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say Paul Browns also!

What did you have it down as a value on your insurance? Id argue the toss with that as well, as it effects your premium.

I had it down as 9K

Eh?? So why insure a car to any value if they dont value it against current cars for sale of same spec/con/miles etc, so u can REPLACE it! stupid.

In my old age id send emails to watchdog, and that bald fella who does the rip off things :)

Surely we pay insurance to help us replace the car like for like if something happens to our current cars.

w**kers!!

Exactly!!! I'm so gonna try and make them pay for a solictor of my own choosing which I intend to use against them. Would a conflict of interest if I allowed them to appoinment a solictor I think. And since I have legal cover as it's fully comp, then they should pay for any of my legal fees right!? But yes, am think media!

The point of insurance to to ensure that you can replace the car that's been taken/damaged. Is the car completely irrepairable? Take them to the FSA and ask why you were paying a premium to insure your pride and joy to cover the eventuality that someone stuffed into it!

This is the thing, I dont think it is irrepairable and hence have told em to get lost when they tried to take it away as I said I prefer to buy it back from them and repair it myself as I'm 100% its doable

Edited by supraiq (see edit history)

That's what I thought but apparently Admiral don't operate upon that policy! :|

What value did you declare when you did your quote? That is the maximum you are entitled to.

You will not have an agreed value policy with admiral and therefore the amount you put on the screen is your max but you are still entitled to the pre-accident market value. If you are not happy with the valuation that have given you then supply evidence of replacement vehicles from sites such as autotrader or genuine dealers (not ebay). If they are not prepared to pay you a fair value then you need to register a complaint with them. They will then review your case and issue you with a final response. If you are not happy with this response then you will be able to take the complaint to the financial ombudsman service who will review the case and are able to make a binding decision for the insurer but not you.

Tell them you are going to do this and they will know to take you seriously.

EDIT: When they say they don't price like for like they are probably talking about modifications. If you have any modifications then this will not affect the valuation. E.g. if you have a set of £2k wheels then you need to forget it. You need to give them examples of standard cars as that is whet your entitled to.

P.S - Ask them if you can retain the salvage and if they say yes drop me a PM as I would like to but it from you and I will give you more than they are offering you!

If you are really struggling then PM me and I can talk you through it.

I hope that helps

Jon

Edited by Pig (see edit history)

I know right - Joke of the day lol

How do I upload pics on here coz the site says I'm not allowed?

Upload them to a host site such as photobucket then copy and past the IMG tags into a post, in future can you please not create duplicate threads on the same subject.

Threads merged.

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

A lot of people on this forum seem to have a massively over inflated opinion of uk spec cars.

They are not much more special than j spec cars and cost more to run or should I say some parts are more difficult to find when they go wrong.

I originally had mine up for sale for 7k.

Couldn't shift It, no interest.

6k not a sausage.

5.5k it eventually sold after a full year on the market. It had a few problems but was a solid car. Nice interior. Recaro seats trimmed in beige. Paint was good. and I spent 1.5 grand on a complete brake and fuel line replacement before it sold.

If they have offered you 6k for it. Which I think I've read they have? Take it.

Just because a car is worth more in bits doesn't mean that's what it's worth.

I had an accident in mine they would have written the car off for. 2k worth of parts and body shop work and it was back on the road good as new.

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

A lot of people on this forum seem to have a massively over inflated opinion of uk spec cars.

They are not much more special than j spec cars and cost more to run or should I say some parts are more difficult to find when they go wrong.

6k not a sausage.

5.5k it eventually sold after a full year on the market. It had a few problems but was a solid car. Nice interior. Recaro seats trimmed in beige. Paint was good. and I spent 1.5 grand on a complete brake and fuel line replacement before it sold.

I had an accident in mine they would have written the car off for. 2k worth of parts and body shop work and it was back on the road good as new.

Well a cared for UK spec with mots, service history and receipts for replaced parts from day

one does mean its worth more to some people, obviously a lot of folks on here seem to not

care about all the years of a cars life before import or even after import, i know what i'd buy !

Cost more to run ? parts harder to find ?

If you read the op's first post it says they have offered £2k for the car not £6k

I thaught I saw somewhere they had come back since with a better offer. Must have read wrong.

Some parts can be more difficult. When Toyota stop making them and you can't get new you have to get 2nd hand. Then if it's a uk specific part you have to rely on beakers having the part or someone on here knowing the difference.

Most parts are the same and j specs will also suffer the same the problem, a lot of parts you'll

still be able to buy a copy of etc like Blue Print stuff or get refurbished such as turbos, gearboxes.

Pigs advice i think is the best.

I've heard these problems before with Admiral and other comps, they simply go by book value

which wont be anything like its true value due to the cars cult following.

Agreed value is the best way to insure one of these cars in my opinion and then its in Black & White

on your cover details so you'd like to think if you've described the car accurately you shouldn't have a

problem.

6k not a sausage.

I'm surprised yours didn't sell for £7k, it went for way less than I'd have paid for it. It's only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it though I guess. I paid £7k for mine not long before you put yours up for sale and could have probably got a UK Spec for less but I had a very specific idea of what I wanted though and I bought it on a bit of an impulse.

This all makes me worry a little about being insured with Admiral though. It's extremely cheap compared to other insurers but I think when I turn 25 I'll try sky with an agreed value policy.

I'm surprised yours didn't sell for £7k, it went for way less than I'd have paid for it. It's only really worth what someone is willing to pay for it though I guess. I paid £7k for mine not long before you put yours up for sale and could have probably got a UK Spec for less but I had a very specific idea of what I wanted though and I bought it on a bit of an impulse.

This all makes me worry a little about being insured with Admiral though. It's extremely cheap compared to other insurers but I think when I turn 25 I'll try sky with an agreed value policy.

Once you get over 25 you might want to try a classic policy if you are not using it every day. I am with Lynbrook and just paid £288.00. I have reduced the mileage to 3K a year. At 5K it was £331.00. It has agreed value of £8500 but is only available for SDP purposes.

This covers mods such as RS-R exhaust and 18" alloys.

H.

Once you get over 25 you might want to try a classic policy if you are not using it every day. I am with Lynbrook and just paid £288.00. I have reduced the mileage to 3K a year. At 5K it was £331.00. It has agreed value of £8500 but is only available for SDP purposes.

H.

Cheers, I think I might do, I wasn't sure if the supra qualified as a classic just yet as it tends to be different depending on which insurer you use. £288 is a lot less than I pay and I want an agreed value now after hearing this.

H.

I am with LWIB for a Classic Agreed Value as well

All Mods declared on mine with £10k agreed value, 5k miles a year and 500 of them for work in an emergency, European (Dragonball:d) Cover

and Jen on the Policy for £320, just renewed last week

To the OP, 2k is a total farce, tell them you want an independent valuation, not from somebody they pay to do there valuations

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

I am with LWIB for a Classic Agreed Value as well

All Mods declared on mine with £10k agreed value, 5k miles a year and 500 of them for work in an emergency, European (Dragonball:d) Cover

and Jen on the Policy for £320, just renewed last week

I used to be with LWIB on the supra and had agreed value of £13k last year with all mods

declared etc for just over £300 which was really good, since i've sold up they aren't so great

on other cars as far as i was concerned and i've gone elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine's insured with Admiral and I put the value of it down as £12,500 when I last insured it, which cost £500 for the year.

I turn 25 in December and my insurance is up in January, so I'll look at an agreed value policy when it is.

Just because you told them the value doesn't mean they will cover you for that.

You need a proper agreed valuation insurance for that, something the mainstream insurers wont do.

This. When I was insured with Admiral I told them 15,000 and the guy said they would only pay book value which was about 9000 if I was involved in an accident. I now have an agreed value policy with sky :)