The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gaz's custom double gauge pod

Mk4Gaz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't thought of that tim, thanks for the heads up mate - I must admit, it was a sod to get out! :thumbs:

when i used to make those apexi avcr boost controller pods that sit on the roof of the mr2 i had to make quite a few at a time. i found prying them out the mold it would break after about 5 units. but with the airline i got about 50 from it before it started cracking and causing issues for the final product. Fibreglass a 6mm pipe onto the mold and when adding your releasing agent and gelcoat put a bit of ideally foil tape like the stuff they use on air-condition ducts. This stops anything going down the pipe and pops off as soon as you add airline to the pipe to push the item out the mold :)

Trimmed it up and drilled the holes

Tried trimming it in vinyl, and it didn't work :( settled on satin black spray paint, and bonded the mounting brackets on

Fitted :)

Excuse the choice of gauges, they're not my final choice. Also, I may need to fit gauge hoods to help against glare.

That looks really good, very OEM looking :thumbs: see what you mean about the glare though. Perhaps you could modify the shape of the pod so the gauges sit more vertically and angled towards the driver. This sort of thing.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/img_8206.jpg

That looks really good, very OEM looking :thumbs: see what you mean about the glare though. Perhaps you could modify the shape of the pod so the gauges sit more vertically and angled towards the driver. This sort of thing.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/i/m/img_8206.jpg

I really want a decent pod for some gauges but can't decide what looks decent!

Ok guys, although the first one works really well, glare is a small issue. The gauges are visible, but difficult to see in bright sunlight.

With Nic's advice, here is the second version. I've tilted the gauges to sit much more upright, so this should work much better.

It's not totally finished, but I blasted it with a bit of black to get a better idea of how it will look :thumbs:

that staggered fitment looks much better in my opinion mate.

did you take a mould of the original Toyota plastics on this one or did you just glue that fibreglass part onto the original part.

Just looking at the stock plastic injection pattern and plastic code :)

Tim

I actually bonded it to the stock part this time Tim, purely as I plan to make a jig, that will allow me to set the mounting brackets in the correct place - so need to be able to reattach the vent tunnel, to get the bracket location for jig purposes

It's been dropped off at my fibreglass pals today, for moulding. I was going to do it myself, but didn't want to risk ballsing it up - as I've only got one chance to get it right lol

Guest StreetShotz

Overlay that with some carbon, match that to the top glove box cf triple pod and you have a very clean and tidy way to mount everything!

I would buy one for sure if it would work with the 3 pod that fits in the top glove box pocket.