The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just got pulled over, advice needed please

Suprakeith

I'm only jealous that your car hits a ton where as my NA gets to 99 and $#@!s itself ;)

like it mate i have pushed car to 160 on the clock so that prob 145ish and she was still pulling. have spoken to bosses at work and if do get ban they are happy to move my shifts around if needed and funny thing is one of the directors was chating to me and he got done about 5weeks ago doing 128 on motorway and he got a 2week ban no points or fine. i have to say dont normally give my car a skin full but the sun was out and their were hardly any cars on A1 so just pulled into outside lane and put foot down.

And just to point out when hit 160 wasnt on public road was on air strip at local RAF base

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people "race" complete strangers at those speeds? If you would have binned it or killed someone then it would all seem pretty pointless.

My job relies on the fact that I need to have a driving licence and although I "rep drive" on the motorway I always set myself limits of what I think will keep me out of trouble. Most of my hooning takes place on A & B national speed limit roads so if you are getting up to 70 and 80 it feels bloody quick and you will not lose your licence letting your hair down. Thing is, there is always the unforeseen that will catch you out.

On the NSX/Supra pancake weekend, I nearly came a cropper with a bus that I decided to overtake on a tight lane. Although I had room, it was all based on the bus holding straight. He didn't and luckily hopped over the white line just as I was about to go down the side of him. I jammed on and decided not to risk it.

At those speeds you are talking about, any change of speed or direction could be fatal. No need on public roads IMO. By all means kill yourself, it's the poor innocent bugger coming the other way I feel sorry for.

H.

Well said matey like you say it is stupid! And it won't happen again coz its not worth it and I should know better at 35!!

I was stopped by unmarked police around 7 years ago for just over 100 on the M74. They reported me to the procurator fiscal, I chose not to attend court, pleaded guilty via letter and got 4 points and a £150.

Wouldnt worry about it too much mate!

Well said matey like you say it is stupid! And it won't happen again coz its not worth it and I should know better at 35!!

Cheers Mike,

On the off chance of being labelled a boring old fart, I just think that some things are not worth the hassle any more. I fancy myself as a good driver and would challenge anyone through a set of twisties against the clock. The problems come when racing or travelling at speeds on public roads where there are so many unknowns. Book a track day or go to an airfield day if you want to break a tonne without consequences to anyone else.

As for knowing better at 35, I don't think age comes into it. Driving fast is a wonderful adrenaline rush at the best of times, it's just having a bit of consideration for other people. I don't think at any age, the rush of a decent drive ever goes away. I have just had the best weekend ever in Wales with 15 like minded enthusiasts. I don't think anyone broke a tonne but we certainly had some challenging driving along the way.

Maybe I was lucky enough to see some sights in my early twenties at car accidents. Being in the Police then certainly gives you a view as to what happens when things go wrong and whether it is all worth a few seconds of fun.

H.

Edited by Havard
spelling (see edit history)

I am only 28 and a boring fart already, I only really give it some on a clearish motorway/duel carriage way to be fair minus the odd blip outside of towns ect. Some of the roads around here are shocking for holes and after only driving for just over two years I doubt I really have the skill to cane it on the twisty B roads which are too tight anyway for a supra.

We do have a few nice A roads though that you can get a bit of speed on which like Havard said if you get caught doing 80 it won't exactly be a big deal minus a few with some long straights where you can briefly give it a bit more. I think like anything there is a time and a place to some degree and if you do have a bit of a laugh just don't overtake the other road uses dangerously really.

After talking with some fellow petrol heads this weekend they had a good point, anybody can go fast in a straight line but it is so much more fun going around the twisties, 2nd and 3rd gear nailing the apex in the power band ( on the right side of the road ) and all well within the speed limit. Only fools race on busy roads and brag about beating that Porche or whatever. We all know are cars are fast but why do we have to prove it to the rest of the world and put other people's lives at risk.

ian

I agree their is time and place for putting down,only time i ever taken car to top speed was on a raf airstrip. And would never race a stranger as not worth it. When got caught the road conditions were very good and traffic was light and the officer agreed with as their was few lorries and couple cars in 1st two lanes and i was in forth lane. We all know anything can happen at any speed if we honest. Plus the reason we buy fast cars is to use them its like my saying no point having 12inch cock and only using 2inches

I agree their is time and place for putting down,only time i ever taken car to top speed was on a raf airstrip. And would never race a stranger as not worth it. When got caught the road conditions were very good and traffic was light and the officer agreed with as their was few lorries and couple cars in 1st two lanes and i was in forth lane. We all know anything can happen at any speed if we honest. Plus the reason we buy fast cars is to use them its like my saying no point having 12inch cock and only using 2inches

I like looking at mine though. Car that is..!!

I think I've just always been smart/lucky when I've sped in the past. The most I've done is 150 on the speedo but that was on a completely empty dual carriageway I know well and that there's nowhere for anybody to sit in wait or see me.

After a speed, I do get a bit paranoid if I see any cars that could be undercover police coming up behind me, but I only tend to put my foot down in safe places, just not as much anymore :)

The judge on my day said I was very lucky not to be getting a 4 month ban. Again it's at the judges discussion so you best pray his a petrol Head and not a green peace campainer. would not worry to much as said above just go smartly dressed and show remorse .

The *JUDGE*??? Surely it didn't progress beyond the magistrate's court? I guess some magistrates may get sexually aroused if you call them "your honour", but they still ain't judges ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I still haven't heard anything from police so unsure what's going on

They have up to 6 months to write to you so don't count your chickens just yet.

You are very unlucky! I recently got done for being clocked going 100 -110 over a distance. The comments of bullying other road users and I was going 120 and you were pulling away so I had to put my lights on to catch you were not what I wanted to hear.

I have a driver improvement course including practical driving next Monday instead of going to court for careless driving - No points, no court costs and no ban all of which I would have got if he didn't give me the course.

I apologise if this has been covered as I've not gone through the whole 5 pages.

I was done in a similar scenario many moons ago. I was absolutely bricking it at the time but a bit of common sense saw me walk away with my license at least.

First of all, a soliciter is a must. This gives you direct contact with the procurator fiscal, a bit more difficult to speak to them without representation.

Second, immediately try for a plea. My plea was that I was considerably over the limit but I felt that it was genuinely less than 100mph, explain your surprise at hearing the speed that was recorded but mention at the same time your fear of losing your license. On this basis you would like to plead guilty but at the lesser speed of 95mph. Explain that you understand the implications of the speed that you were doing but losing your license would be seriously detremental to your career and your family.

Lastly, dress nice and look SERIOUSLY sorry for what you have done.

End result for me was 3 points and £120 fine. I then paid up the fine £10 a month for a year :)

Think its all down to your court appearance. You can take what a copper says with a pinch of salt. His job is done and his opinion counts for diddly. Impress the magistrate and your in with a chance. Small one in my opinion but hope lady luck is with you.