The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help me!

jackies321

And how hard did you press the loud pedal on your exit from the roundabout?

It is easy to spin out in the rain in a supra at very low speeds if you are slightly turning and give too much throttle which tbh is what this sounds like.

This applies even more in an auto as it'll kick down!

This and this. When turning in the wet, use balanced (by this I mean keep the engine revs constant and leave the gear stick alone if its a manual) and conservative throttle: it's not very exciting but it should keep the car facing the right way. Acceleartion (not speed) causes cars to skid or spin. Remember that acceleration is at its highest in very low gears, so when you're accelerating in 1st or 2nd, this is when the rear is most likely to let go, especially in you're turning.

Same goes for braking. You can get away with hard braking much more if you're not turning. If you're braking and turning sharply, be prepared to touch cloth.

• 3 weeks later...

Jack's a polite and quite reserved young Buck who's just learned the hard way, that rear wheel drive is :think: different to the front wheel drive he's always only ever driven before. :shrug:

Luckily not much harm was done and his wounded "gun mental" Supra will soon be well again. :)

Excuse me for interrupting a newbies :think: initiation inquisition. :innocent:

But I think he's probably too busy mending his wounded Supra to answer lots of questions about tyres that he most probably doesn't know, yet. ;)

Edited by David P (see edit history)

The best way to learn how to drive the car is not traction control, get yourself on a drifting day, there are a few various places around the country that do it, oulton park is my fave,

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car-home/introduction-to-drifting

This 100%, you will learn more about the limits of the car, how it reacts, weight transfer and how it skids on a drift day.

Alternately if it is still on one piece come the winter, get out when there is snow on the ground and you can drift at much slower speeds. This will let you feel how the differential works when you break traction, you will learn plenty about car control in these conditions.

There are also skid control courses that teach you about losing control with RWD & FWD cars on low friction surfaces. They will usually teach you how to "pump the brakes" in a skid situation which would be handy if your N/A doesn't have ABS. :)

This 100%, you will learn more about the limits of the car, how it reacts, weight transfer and how it skids on a drift day.

Alternately if it is still on one piece come the winter, get out when there is snow on the ground and you can drift at much slower speeds. This will let you feel how the differential works when you break traction, you will learn plenty about car control in these conditions.

There are also skid control courses that teach you about losing control with RWD & FWD cars on low friction surfaces. They will usually teach you how to "pump the brakes" in a skid situation which would be handy if your N/A doesn't have ABS. :)

That and bignum's post sound spot-on. Traction control can help you out, but it only pushes the boundary a bit of what the car can do. No amount of electronics can make your car break the laws of physics.

That and bignum's post sound spot-on. Traction control can help you out, but it only pushes the boundary a bit of what the car can do. No amount of electronics can make your car break the laws of physics.

Not so sure that's true these days

Very impressive stuff Dunk, makes me wish I could retrofit it to the Supra :D

I can't find the 5th gear test i watched on the tv a couple of nights ago, they did it on

a runway showing the new DSC systems working on normal tarmac, Tiff tried his hardest

to lose control and the DSC saved the day every time.

The op's problem is inexperience driving an old rwd car. Simplez :)

I've driven on crap tyres in the wet and on diesel in a mkiv and never binned it

but then i'm an awesome driver with Ken Block like car control and fly like reactions :D

This seems to show what modern electronics can do quite nicely :)

Witchcraft don't like it don't want it. To be honest the traction control on the supra only hinders never helps but then it is a very basic TC. But then that's the reason why I like them so much because you have to learn to drive these cars not just let a computer do it.

Witchcraft don't like it don't want it. To be honest the traction control on the supra only hinders never helps but then it is a very basic TC. But then that's the reason why I like them so much because you have to learn to drive these cars not just let a computer do it.

Its 20 years old tech, the new dsc systems are awesome and could save your life one

day.

I agree i'd rather drive the car but for normal rd use these systems will save many

a driver, even good ones that can drive :)

Its 20 years old tech, the new dsc systems are awesome and could save your life one

day.

I agree i'd rather drive the car but for normal rd use these systems will save many

a driver, even good ones that can drive :)

I agree it's very true these system are very clever and they will no doubt save many lives!

I think the best thing to NOT have in your car would be Tiff Neddell himself. He can be a bit reckless when trying to prove a point, fair enough in a hire car on a frozen lake, but I wouldn't want him near anything I'm responsible for the repayments on.

Its fairly obvious that for the first run of the high speed avoidance test, with the electronics disengaged, he binned the Jag into the "wall" on purpose, he never made any attempt to correct the second part of the skid until the car was side-on to the wall.

I doubt even ESP could've saved that particular slid. Braking a wheel ain't much use if it's perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I think the best thing to NOT have in your car would be Tiff Neddell himself. He can be a bit reckless when trying to prove a point, fair enough in a hire car on a frozen lake, but I wouldn't want him near anything I'm responsible for the repayments on.

Its fairly obvious that for the first run of the high speed avoidance test, with the electronics disengaged, he binned the Jag into the "wall" on purpose, he never made any attempt to correct the second part of the skid until the car was side-on to the wall.

I doubt even ESP could've saved that particular slid. Braking a wheel ain't much use if it's perpendicular to the direction of travel.

I think you watched a different video to me then.

I think you watched a different video to me then.

@ exactly 3.10 into the clip.

You tell me that the steer tyres would not be pointing in the opposite direction had he made any attempt to recover that slide.

I'm not disputing the fact that as a safety feature ESP is a brilliant feature. Its just that Tiff hammed it (the consequences of not having it in that situation) up a bit for the camera.

(I was doing more like 30mph than 15 though).

I suspect the OP was too. ;)

I think most of us suspect the OP has a digital throttle.

@ exactly 3.10 into the clip.

You tell me that the steer tyres would not be pointing in the opposite direction had he made any attempt to recover that slide.

I'm not disputing the fact that as a safety feature ESP is a brilliant feature. Its just that Tiff hammed it (the consequences of not having it in that situation) up a bit for the camera.

Maybe Tiff was demonstrating what could happen in the skid if someone with lesser driving skills was behind the wheel. I'm sure some drivers' favoured method of crash avoidance is to close their eyes, bury the brake pedal into the carpet and shout "ohmygodohmygodohmygod!". As long as he applies a similar level of expertise to the ESP-enabled run, it seems a fair test to me.

Those electronic aids do look very competent. They still only push the envelope of what the car can do, but they may well push it far enough so that most drivers don't get to experience what it's like being outside that envelope (and thus avoiding the underwear laundry bill). Whether that's a good or a bad thing, I'll let you lot decide. :)

As long as he applies a similar level of expertise to the ESP-enabled run, it seems a fair test to me.

I think you'll find he was quicker to correct his own steering inputs on the second run.

But all this has to be accepted as the done thing, for it is a TV program after all.

I guess I just hate some of these "controlled" comparisons, they're laughable IMO.

Imagine your testicles under the accelerator when you press it in the wet or in dubious conditions, you will find this as good as any traction control. RWD in a powerful car, after having only driven FWD or 4WD cars is a tough learning curve. My wife is great at driving huge BHP RWD cars as she has "the touch", IE, she's frightened of them. I sometimes get a bit blase, and am not too proud to say I sometimes frighten myself.