The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Something a little different.

FOSTA

maybe he used the wrong resin? carbon mods sell a high temp epoxy

Yeah that's where I bought my carbon stuff ;)

If it goes cloudy I know to not waste anymore time on skinning any of my engine parts. Thanks for the heads up :)

maybe he used the wrong resin? carbon mods sell a high temp epoxy

Yep, you'll need to use the high temp stuff for any engine bay parts like - both the high temp base coat and the resin top coat.

Any milkyness in the lacquer tends to be caused by trapped air coming up from within the resin over time, this is drawn to the surface by the heat (sun or engine bay temps) or perhaps (I think) just poor UV inhibitors in the lacquer.

I've recently had a problem with the handles I done for Jazz just as I was about to post them out and also the same with one of Hodges mirrors - its an absolute pig of a job to rub back as far as it takes to get rid of the fault then essentially start the process again. In the case of one of Hodge's mirrors the carbon couldn't be saved so I had to rub all that off too!! :(

thanks for that info mate, i had this problem with my dash panels i put it down to the cold but being new to carbon skinning its good to know im not the only one its happened to lol.

i need to sort some power in my shed and some sort of heating because this weather is putting everything on hold

- - - Updated - - -

did you polish the resin or did you add clear over the top fosta?

thanks for that info mate, i had this problem with my dash panels i put it down to the cold but being new to carbon skinning its good to know im not the only one its happened to lol.

i need to sort some power in my shed and some sort of heating because this weather is putting everything on hold

- - - Updated - - -

Aye - its definitely more of a summer hobby like. Having said that, if there's high levels of humidity in the summer that can ruin things too!

- - - Updated - - -

Just polished it mate, it would always look better and more glossy with clear coat but it will do for now.

Its not going to fit once I get my rain gards fitted :( just have to see if I can modify the gard on that side or somthing :/