The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange dyno result. (Video added)

Kaan W

Kaan - don't confuse lockup with stall mate. Your solenoid as Ryan said for mechnical lockup may not be firing, or there may be a problem with the line pressure control solenoid (affects whole system).

You need to get someone to check the output of the lockup solenoid from the ECU, start there as Nero says. Check the pin-out, and get a multimeter on there. Start there because at least you'll know if the ECU thinks it is ok to lockup the TC.

There is also a temp sensor on the gearbox that could be not fitted/connected or not reading right - presumably used to avoid lockup when cold to warmup the box as slipping will generate heat, desirable when cold.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is a lockup issue then that can start in the electronics, the auto boxes are all the same for JDM or USDM. The transmission although beefed up should not loose any power, if anything it will gain power. Its a stronger unit and will put the power to the ground vs slipping like the stock unit will.

yes the box is the same but i have read that they have different speed sensor sprags.could this cause the issue?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=79669&highlight=%22jdm+gearbox%22

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?79669-UK-Auto-Box-On-A-J-Spec&highlight=auto

did your box come with sensors Kaan or did you use your original ones ?

If there is a lockup issue then that can start in the electronics, the auto boxes are all the same for JDM or USDM. The transmission although beefed up should not loose any power, if anything it will gain power. Its a stronger unit and will put the power to the ground vs slipping like the stock unit will.

Thanks for the fast reply! I will get the electrical system tested and hopefully find the problem and get it fixed.

Kaan - don't confuse lockup with stall mate. Your solenoid as Ryan said for mechnical lockup may not be firing, or there may be a problem with the line pressure control solenoid (affects whole system).

You need to get someone to check the output of the lockup solenoid from the ECU, start there as Nero says. Check the pin-out, and get a multimeter on there. Start there because at least you'll know if the ECU thinks it is ok to lockup the TC.

There is also a temp sensor on the gearbox that could be not fitted/connected or not reading right - presumably used to avoid lockup when cold to warmup the box as slipping will generate heat, desirable when cold.

That makes perfect sense mate thanks very much! I was not aware there was a temp sensor on the box as I was looking at getting one fitted to keep an eye on it. I will have a look in the manuals for a wiring diagram, should this show which wires control the lock up from ECU?

yes the box is the same but i have read that they have different speed sensor sprags.could this cause the issue?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=79669&highlight=%22jdm+gearbox%22

http://www.mkiv.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?79669-UK-Auto-Box-On-A-J-Spec&highlight=auto

did your box come with sensors Kaan or did you use your original ones ?

It must have come with the sensors I think, all I done was bolted it on and connected the shift rod, 2 lines for the cooler and about 5/6 electrical plugs.

Is your TRAC ECU in place in the passenger footwell beside the main ECU? Did you have the TRAC fuse pulled under the bonnet?

My car had a similar inability to get a dyno readout, last time was with Ryan and as usual it kept kicking down and trying to climb out the dyno on a power run - wouldn't lock into 3rd. My TRAC system was completely disabled with no TRAC ECU present, I was on a BL built box with a PI 3,800 RPM stall TC also.

I didn't really care though as my butt dyno said the car was quick and the drag times proved it :) so it was ~380ish bhp fly when anyone asked as it was just a BPU ;)

On my previous 2x TT Autos, I got dyno read-outs just fine - I always pulled the TRAC fuse and they would stay in 3rd for a power run.

Cheers,

Brian.

Your signature needs reducing by 40.3. ;)

Thanks! :D

David your a man with great knowledge of the autobox so what wires do I check for the lock up solonoid and how?

Is your TRAC ECU in place in the passenger footwell beside the main ECU? Did you have the TRAC fuse pulled under the bonnet?

My car had a similar inability to get a dyno readout, last time was with Ryan and as usual it kept kicking down and trying to climb out the dyno on a power run - wouldn't lock into 3rd. My TRAC system was completely disabled with no TRAC ECU present, I was on a BL built box with a PI 3,800 RPM stall TC also.

I didn't really care though as my butt dyno said the car was quick and the drag times proved it :) so it was ~380ish bhp fly when anyone asked as it was just a BPU ;)

On my previous 2x TT Autos, I got dyno read-outs just fine - I always pulled the TRAC fuse and they would stay in 3rd for a power run.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian, im not too sure on that one but I know Ryan checked some fuses inside the fusebox and tried again I think probably to see what you have just mentioned. I know the stock TRAC system is no longer in use but im not sure what is still conected.

14b is the pin and wire that controls torque converter lock-up, I can't remember the wire colours?

In 'my garage' - Tuning - AEM 30-1100 link there's a diagram showing the ECU pins.

Link to info for colour codes and volts. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content.php?64-Electrical-Diagrams

If Ryan can't work out what the problem is, I can't do more than this without seeing it!

14b is the pin and wire that controls torque converter lock-up, I can't remember the wire colours?

In 'my garage' - Tuning - AEM 30-1100 link there's a diagram showing the ECU pins.

Link to info for colour codes and volts. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/content.php?64-Electrical-Diagrams

If Ryan can't work out what the problem is, I can't do more than this without seeing it!

I'll have a look at pin 14b and trace the colour to the gearbox and see if its connected properly. I'll also have a look at the link and check my wiring with a multimeter to see whats happening.

Would I not have to be driving under WOT to test the TC lock up wire with a multimeter?

That's the one.

It's only bad if it happens when it shouldn't.

But obviously on a dyno when maximum power is being achieved then lock up would be bad right? I always thought lock up should only happen at a percentage of throttle and shut off to allow slip when WOT. So why does Ryan need the TC to lock up when doing a power run?

Nice video! But im still confused. Maybe I should take the car to someone that can do it for me or im gunno end up buggering something up. All I can do is check the connections are tight. Maybe I wire broke when removing the old box but I just dont know.

Also the "D" light on my speedo is not lighting when in drive when im pretty sure it did before. All the other lights work perfectly but could this be related to the solonoid not locking up in 3rd and 4th?