The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na supra to twin

scott87

You obviously are not looking hard enough then ;)

We have had great example sell on this very forum for £5k, if your NA is as great as you say then you should get at least £3.5-4k for it which means it only costs you £1k for the TT. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper than converting an NA to a TT.

My na is immaculate but high mileage, Which makes a huge reduction in value really. It also has all the facelift bits so thats a plus as apposed to some ive seen for sale. But more importantly i want to keep it :p

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you can do the spanner work yourself it would be the cheapest way to go.

Most on here don't know which end to pick up a spanner and their advice reflects the added cost for this labour.

I would leave the compression stock and use ARP head bolts.

I think that i will look into sourcing the parts. I know the rough cost of the ARP's as already bought some :-) not for this car though....

This very well could be the beginning of the build thread then! One thing though with the tt head on the na bottom end would with turbos attached would be heavier, would this mean that the engine would need to be torqued up differently? Ive not combined 2 engine sections before only ever taken apart and put back together.

I assume it would be worthwhile rebuilding the turbos whilst i have them too. The standards are ceramic am i right? Should i consider changing to steel? And would the higher compression result in a piggyback ecu, or can the stock tt be re-mapped.

You could piggy-back or fit a thicker head gasket and use stock T.T. ECU.

Build as per T.T. lump, you may want to fit T.T. springs on the front to carry the extra weight.

So we'd be talking a fair amount of extra weight then...

I think a thicker headgasket would be best as that would allow for further tweaks down the line if im right, could be wrong....

Cheers for your advice. Im gonna see what i can find price wise for these bits, could in theory be a weekend build having the bits in front of me..

I am proud to say I am useless at most car related things but am good at oth....... Nope I am just useless.

Carry on.

Another helpful and informative post...

I think it would be a lot more of a nightmare to make the TT head swap work than you think. Radiator, intercooler and piping, fuelling, ignition (coil on plug and ignitor) wiring, converting to permanent TTC. Unless you got a fully complete TT head and wiring loom it could and would be a big headache.

Why not do what I and a few other members have done on here and buy a 1jzgte lump from a soarer, I got my engine and gearbox for about £700 and I've spent probably another £500 to get bpu and Its now running like a dream and it'll only be a few horses down on a 2jzgte...

Do tell.. Is there a build thread?

i'm going to go down the 1JZ-VVTi route more torque at lower revs and a more efficient engine and single turbo as standard which you can fit a adapter and GTX30 to and you have yourself a nice street setup ;), as stock 280lb/ft of torque at 2400rpm YES PLEASE

Basically this although this is using an aftermarket top mount manifold :)

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/178666_10151281865101224_1454624993_o.jpg

Edited by Dan_Turism0 (see edit history)

As a transplant do they make the stock power of 280?

I'm sure mine making more than 280 as I've pretty much bpu it.

Its also going into Jurgen's shortly to have apexi AVCR and SAFC fitted, so I'll be able to up the boost to more power.

put it this way it's a lot quicker than an N/a..!

plus I recently had a 20mph rolling start drag race with my friends brand new Jag XKR(510bhp) and it was keeping up until about 90 mph

A tt engine and autobox can be had for 2k add .5k for bpu add another 1k for fitting, im sure a reliable na-t making bpu power cant be had for 3.5k, can it?

craig built 385bhp for 2.5k including car purchase. It cost's a 5th of the overall NA-T process to just go BPU. Depends what engine code and part's list you want to flash at your crew down the local car park :D

Just buy a TT and be done with it. Swaping and going turbo is a right ball ache though I enjoy it.

i'm going to go down the 1JZ-VVTi route more torque at lower revs and a more efficient engine and single turbo as standard which you can fit a adapter and GTX30 to and you have yourself a nice street setup ;), as stock 280lb/ft of torque at 2400rpm YES PLEASE

Basically this although this is using an aftermarket top mount manifold :)

http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/178666_10151281865101224_1454624993_o.jpg

Taking you ages to start this mate

craig built 385bhp for 2.5k including car purchase. It cost's a 5th of the overall NA-T process to just go BPU. Depends what engine code and part's list you want to flash at your crew down the local car park :D

Just buy a TT and be done with it. Swaping and going turbo is a right ball ache though I enjoy it.

Taking you ages to start this mate

hadn't planned on getting caught speeding on JAE tun run mate + going on hol with the gf at xmas so money is going elsewhere at the minute