The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Roll cage or no roll cage?

Parry_10

Having done it id never put a cage in a car again.

Did you have a cage in the red one, or just the black one? I liked the quality and relative subtleness of the install on the black one and was thinking of copying it. I want to do some straight line tope speed stuff one day and wouldn't be comfortable doing massive speeds without full safety gear. As it's not a daily driver I don't mind always wearing a helmet, but ideally I'd have a something I could remove with spanners if I wanted. The MR2 cage (which is MSA race approved) has weld-in feet plates, but the rest of it is bolt in so I could take it in & out if I really wanted.

On a daily driver I personally would not run a cage, too much hassle and you shouldn't be driving in a manor that would require caged protection.

on a track car that's a different story, not only for safety but if done properly it stiffens the chassis helping to further improve handling.

I have a cage in mine and I am yet to make it to a track.

The cage is padded in all the right places and I have 5 point harnesses and Recaro Pole Position buckets to stop too much movement!

I hope you wear a helmet at all times with that setup. If not it's EXTREMELY dangerous.

I think what you need to look at is what protection is a rear cage giving you, yes it will help in

certain crashes but wont do very much in other crashes regarding where you sit.

Draw a line from the top of a rear cage down to the top of the dash and you'll see your head

unless you are very short goes above the line, if you have a proper shunt this leaves you

very exposed.

A rear cage in my opinion is more cosmetic and gives you a false sense of security, if you

want protection get a full cage and not one that goes round the dash

A lot of mixed opinions. I think a half cage is pointless to be honest. If I do get a cage it will be a 6/7 point that goes through the dash pretty much the same one jamie had although I don't want to fit door bars but then having carbon doors I should really (I don't want to change to stock doors). The car is going to be around the 700hp mark and I don't mind wearing harnesses on the road, I also plan on getting some nice race seats anyway. Just don't like the idea of hitting my head but I like the idea of the protection a cage gives and improving on the stiffness of the car.

I sit quite low in my supra. Recaro's and low mount rails, plus quite a relaxed driving position (Short legs, long arms and body! :D) Mean that my head is definitely in the safe zone! I saw a rolled aerotop at kerons, made me question my choice of supra/mortality. Plus I drive it quite hard, hence I decided the cage was for me.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

I sit quite low in my supra. Recaro's and low mount rails, plus quite a relaxed driving position (Short legs, long arms and body! :D) Mean that my head is definitely in the safe zone! I saw a rolled aerotop at kerons, made me question my choice of supra/mortality. Plus I drive it quite hard, hence I decided the cage was for me.

Sit in your car and get someone to take a pic from the side :)

Don't forget that's only a guide, if you have no front cage and around the roof you are in the

danger zone no matter how tall you are :)

I would go full cage if track/drag racing is involved and if thats what you intend on doing with the car. I very much think its pointless if the car is just used for the street, as any stupid speeds is just breaking the law ect ect bla bla bla.

BUT they do serve a purpose and like james i too have seen a rolled supra and its a messy sight!

Yeh thinking to just get one because as interior is stripped its the perfect time, I would not want to put it all back together then think I want a roll cage. I only intend on doing a few track days and drags but I want to go to the ring as well that is a must for me.