The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Speeding fine

Guest suprageek

i was driving the works van the other day, not really paying that much attention and spotted a speed camera van at the last moment...thanks god i was facing the front of it and the back was towards on coming cars. otherwise id have been screwed!

End of the day, a 30mph limit is there for a reason.

Usually due to a built up area, or an area of high pedestrian activity.

I've had words with plenty of the young lads in my battalion about speeding past the states surrounding the camp. It is a 30mph limit, and I have seen people doing a good 50mph down it.

If my wife was walking down the pavement along that road with my daughter, and someone speeding hit them, I would literally kill the bloke. (There have been 3 crashes on that road in the last 12 months due to speeding)

I'm no angel when it comes to speed limits, but anything under 50mph tends to be there for good reason (bar average cameras grrrrrrrrrr!!!) and I wont go over those. 60mph and over, then I do tend to slip over the limit, but not by much.

Some wonderful attitudes to speeding on here. After years of being on this forum I am still amazed at people justification for breaking the limits and then getting upset when they get caught. We all speed, it's a case of how stupid or just plain unlucky you are with it. If you sit under an elephant, you are eventually going to get shit on.

I do about 25K miles a year and most of them are around 10% above the limit. I still have a clean licence and have had for about 10 years.

If I got caught I wouldn't be surprised or upset about it as I have bent the limit for years.

H.

Some wonderful attitudes to speeding on here. After years of being on this forum I am still amazed at people justification for breaking the limits and then getting upset when they get caught. We all speed, it's a case of how stupid or just plain unlucky you are with it. If you sit under an elephant, you are eventually going to get shit on.

I do about 25K miles a year and most of them are around 10% above the limit. I still have a clean licence and have had for about 10 years.

If I got caught I wouldn't be surprised or upset about it as I have bent the limit for years.

H.

Agreed. Man up admit you got caught out rather than squirm out of it like a scumbag :) It doesnt affect your insurance anyway.

I'd also like it if people did bitch and moan about pictures and calibration etc. and all was ok, then the fine and points should be doubled for wasteing police time. Just my opinion

Edited by Guigsy (see edit history)

since when has getting points not affected your insurance? i thought its bumps up your insurance, as its shows your more likely to drive over the speed limit IE dangerously?

That is always what I thought unless it is more drink driving and/or crashing that raises the cost of insurance??

One SP30 is generally overlooked by insurance comapanies as most people have had one, especially since the camera culture came in ten or so years ago.

I imagine 79 in a 50 as per the OP's worry would carry 6 points possibly. That would defo have an effect on insurance quotes.

H.

One SP30 is generally overlooked by insurance comapanies as most people have had one, especially since the camera culture came in ten or so years ago.

I imagine 79 in a 50 as per the OP's worry would carry 6 points possibly. That would defo have an effect on insurance quotes.

H.

Thanks for clearing that up H as where I am in my first two years of driving I am still on the 6 points and out stage until next March although I am still on zero and have never even been pulled over minus at Xmas when they swiftly asked me and everyone else they stopped in my local town if I had had a drink.

To be fair if I ever get caught speeding it will probably be an instant ban which will be nobodies fault other than my own and frankly I would be more peed off at myself for doing it, I certainly don't drive like a saint but I like most on here have the odd occasional blast (like on the way home yesterday) but other than that I pretty much keep to the limits.

I normally find you are most likely to get done for speeding anywhere that is not a national speed limit area where I am so you just take a calculated risk/gamble if you let loose, It's the people who get caught speeding in little towns and villages that amazes me as even though 30 and 40 mph limits seem slow and old hat how many more times do you get the police or locals doing speed checks in those places in the first place making it less of a surprise?!?

Edit: My mate who is on here got a section 49 (I think) as he overtook a unmarked police car and sped off and undertook someone else at speed of over 100 easily on a 70mph dual carriageway, He thought he would of been banned instantly and the copper who issued it was highly reasonable and said "you have a nice car and were a bit of a prat for a minute but if you do it again over the next 12 months you will be taken to court and banned instantly" with a big fine I would assume, It worked out that if he was driving his car or anyone's else's recklessly it would be taken and towed/impounded.

Edited by Graham1984 (see edit history)

Speed safety IS a concern.

You're right, we all do it. But the government uses the Camera trick to increase revenue and not as a way of making the roads safer. The speed limits haven't been reviewed in a long time, and cars are generally safer now. Better handling, better brakes etc.

Yes, around housing estates etc, enforce the limits. People have children playing out. Major A roads, even B roads should have the limits reviewed. They have purposely lowered the limit in certain places and now place a camera there to "trap" people. There is no risk to pedestrians and the new 30mph limits are stupid. The roads could easily handle a 50mph limit but instead they reduce them from 40mph to 30mph to trap motorists, generate revenue and just generally jack people off. Why don't they get the police who are working on these speed traps into the field and find my little bloody Corsa that was nicked 8 YEARS AGO!!!

Peter

Speed safety IS a concern.

You're right, we all do it. But the government uses the Camera trick to increase revenue and not as a way of making the roads safer. The speed limits haven't been reviewed in a long time, and cars are generally safer now. Better handling, better brakes etc.

Yes, around housing estates etc, enforce the limits. People have children playing out. Major A roads, even B roads should have the limits reviewed. They have purposely lowered the limit in certain places and now place a camera there to "trap" people. There is no risk to pedestrians and the new 30mph limits are stupid. The roads could easily handle a 50mph limit but instead they reduce them from 40mph to 30mph to trap motorists, generate revenue and just generally jack people off. Why don't they get the police who are working on these speed traps into the field and find my little bloody Corsa that was nicked 8 YEARS AGO!!!

Peter

I disagree Peter.

I think that the limits currently imposed are about right. If you give people limits they will always stretch them as far as possible. The Police also need tolerance figures or do we go with higher limits and zero tolerance?

A 30mph limit at present I imagine will give an average speed of around 35mph or so. If we upped it to 40 then we would have cars doing between 45 - 50mph. As you say, modern cars are a lot better spec'd these days with brakes and safety etc. They are also much more refined and it is now more difficult than ever to get a good estimate of speed without looking at the speedo or using cruise control. I have an Audi A4 estate and I have regularly been way over the limit on the motorway without noticing my speed. In a 30 - 40 limit I hardly feel like I am moving. Crash tests are still done at 30Mph and the damage at 40 - 50 mph is massive especially in a head on collision. I for one would not be hoping for an increase in speed limits as the standards of driving seem to be getting worse by the day.

I watch everyday on the motorway for poor drivers and it doesn't take long to spot one. I try to drive as if I am setting an example to others and it generally keeps me out of trouble. People not indicating, lane discipline, people on mobiles etc. If the speeds were higher, the chances of avoiding a collision will be massively reduced. I feel that the low speed limits at present are papering over the cracks of the poor driving standards we have now.

H.

70mph, 60mph , 50mph is nothing really.

Absolutely, as the front of the Supra is made of marshmallow, when you hit a kid it really doesn't matter what speed you are doing.

Why do these threads attract muppets, its like a magnet for the brainless.