The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A - T is it worth it ? ? ?

Guest suprasteven

Yes i would also like to know why its not worth it??

i am thinking like it was said at the beggining it comes down to opinions, tastes, and what your after

Like i said 400bhp would be perfect for me at the moment and maybe even too much as i dont plan on doing anything big with it not for the next year at least i just want a turbo'd fun and fast car that i can enjoy with out the massive costs of a TT because idealy if i had a TT i would go single

Who said that TTs have massive running costs? your post doesnt make much sense, you dont want the running costs of a TT, but if you had a TT you would go single, which would be equally if not more expensive to run.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest suprasteven
Who said that TTs have massive running costs? your post doesnt make much sense, you dont want the running costs of a TT, but if you had a TT you would go single, which would be equally if not more expensive to run.

Yes i mean in a year or so!! if i buy a TT i would go single

At the moment what i am doing i would have thought that this would have been the best option!

what i'm struggling to get my head around is i'm aiming for around 600hp (currently NA), now if I go NA-T I would need either thicker HG or TT Pistons I know that but you can piece together majority of the kit for a reasonable cost and do the majority of the work myself how will that workout more than getting a TT engine and then going single on that?

Not picking at anyone just i may have missed a vital stage somewhere lol :)

Guest suprasteven
what i'm struggling to get my head around is i'm aiming for around 600hp (currently NA), now if I go NA-T I would need either thicker HG or TT Pistons I know that but you can piece together majority of the kit for a reasonable cost and do the majority of the work myself how will that workout more than getting a TT engine and then going single on that?

It wont thats what i am trying to say!

Thats why at the moment i think N/A -T will be the best for me

Lots of things to consider here mate, as above sit down and work out everything you want/need and tot up prices.

When I did this I was going to be kissing away 6k using new genuine branded stuff and having it fitted elsewhere. This then ment i would most probably want a v160 later down the line so add another 3k to that plus fitting, and there is a price of a nice TT auto.

Personally I think it makes more sense to sell up and buy a new one. But having said that I have never been in a NA-t so i would expect the power delivery to be completly different to that of a TT in stock or BPU form. I suggest you do allot of re search and possibly have a go in one of each and make your decision from there.

Lots of things to consider here mate, as above sit down and work out everything you want/need and tot up prices.

When I did this I was going to be kissing away 6k using new genuine branded stuff and having it fitted elsewhere. This then ment i would most probably want a v160 later down the line so add another 3k to that plus fitting, and there is a price of a nice TT auto.

Personally I think it makes more sense to sell up and buy a new one. But having said that I have never been in a NA-t so i would expect the power delivery to be completly different to that of a TT in stock or BPU form. I suggest you do allot of re search and possibly have a go in one of each and make your decision from there.

Yeah I see where you are coming from but i already have a V161 in my NA :) so that's a major cost out of the way and clears me for higher power too, i've been out in my friends NA-T that's got the w58 running around 365bhp and that was fun and surprisingly felt quicker than some BPU supra's i've been in, he's just replaced his w58 for a v160 so will be nice to see how it compares then

Yeah I see where you are coming from but i already have a V161 in my NA :) so that's a major cost out of the way and clears me for higher power too, i've been out in my friends NA-T that's got the w58 running around 365bhp and that was fun and surprisingly felt quicker than some BPU supra's i've been in, he's just replaced his w58 for a v160 so will be nice to see how it compares then

Se your one of the lucky one and opens doors in either direction for you, I would find it hard to decided weather to swap out the lump or turbo the GE.

Se your one of the lucky one and opens doors in either direction for you, I would find it hard to decided weather to swap out the lump or turbo the GE.

exactly the cross roads i'm at now, i think if i was aiming for BIG power 800+ i'd go GTE lump but as i'm aiming for around 600 i'm leaning more toward NA-T and thicker HG

exactly the cross roads i'm at now, i think if i was aiming for BIG power 800+ i'd go GTE lump but as i'm aiming for around 600 i'm leaning more toward NA-T and thicker HG

Remember the GE lump is more than capable of 800 just alot of work involved but im pretty sure the same jobs would need to be done of the GTE lump anyway. So either option is a valid one. On the GE you would still need to do pistons would you not to achieve 600 safely?

Remember the GE lump is more than capable of 800 just alot of work involved but im pretty sure the same jobs would need to be done of the GTE lump anyway. So either option is a valid one. On the GE you would still need to do pistons would you not to achieve 600 safely?

yeah i know the block itself is more than capable of that but from a personal POV i would want oil squirters if i were in the 800+ bracket, guys in the states have run over 700whp on just using a thicker HG without any obvious issues afaik and as i won't be giving the car hell on a daily basis i think it would cope fine but then a replacement GE engine is a damn site cheaper than a GTE lol should shit hit the fan so to speak lol

yeah i know the block itself is more than capable of that but from a personal POV i would want oil squirters if i were in the 800+ bracket, guys in the states have run over 700whp on just using a thicker HG without any obvious issues afaik and as i won't be giving the car hell on a daily basis i think it would cope fine but then a replacement GE engine is a damn site cheaper than a GTE lol should shit hit the fan so to speak lol

Fair enough mate, looks like you have a plan. If thats the Case go with NA-t and show us how its done :)

The NA-T is worth it if you can source the parts for a good price and you do the work yourself, if not then it will cost you a large amount in labour charges and fabrication work if the NA-T kit was put together by yourself.

Lowering the compression with a thicker head gasket isn't the way to do it, best to put in tt pistons or other aftermarket low compression pistons.

One of the major advantages of the GE engine is that it's cheap as chips, so if you did blow an engine up it won't cost a lot to replace.

Edited by SamuraiFlash (see edit history)

Price up exactly everything you need for NA-T, then see where you go. Personally I would have gone TT to start with.

:yeahthat:

Do not underestimate the cost of a turbo conversion, done properly it will cost many £k's, it may be possible to do it cheaper by cutting corners and fitting 2nd hand parts but if you want the car to be reliable then it's worth doing properly without cutting any corners. When you add it all up you'll probably find you could buy a decent TT for a similar cost.

Before considering doing a turbo conversion I would ensure the car is in good working order - suspension components okay? brakes okay? tyres okay? engine compression okay? any oil leaks? valve stem seals? To ensure future reliability I'd consider fitting a new oil pump, water pump, crank pulley, belts, tensioners, etc.

Turbo kit - a decent quality kit eg. Whifbitz, PowerHouse Racing, Boostlogic, etc.

Fueling - bigger injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator

Cooling - Intercooler, IC hoses & fittings, oil cooler, radiator (budget for a new one as a worn rad will often not cope)

Electronics - ECU, harnesses, sensors, various gauges/sandwich plate, boost controller (optional), I'd also budget for new distributor cap, rotor arm and plug leads.

Drivetrain - many examples of the W58 5spd failing at higher hp/torque levels, stronger clutch to cope with the power, LSD, not essential but to get the power down recommended.

Exhaust, mid pipe, weld on bosses.

Service parts - oil, oil filter, plugs, fuel filter.

Miscellaneous - vacuum hoses, fittings, water lines, oil lines, BOV, BOV flange, turbo blanket, heat wrap, etc.

Labour? Mapping, fabrication work.

The other thing to consider is how long are you going to keep the car, it could be very difficult to sell on an NA-T Supra.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

yep all in check here Nic, the only thing as you say is the resell value of the NA-T which makes me lean more toward the GTE

In terms of price though wouldn't you really be wanting to do all those bits you've listed if you were going GTE and single anyways (this is where i get confused as to how using the GTE is cheaper) ?

In terms of price though wouldn't you really be wanting to do all those bits you've listed if you were going GTE and single anyways (this is where i get confused as to how using the GTE is cheaper) ?

The OP asked whether an NA-T is worth it and later in the thread says '400bhp will be perfect for what i am after' My personal opinion would be no it's not worth it, it'd be cheaper, probably more reliable and have better resale value, to sell the NA Supra and buy a TT Supra.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

The OP asked whether an NA-T is worth it and later in the thread says '400bhp will be perfect for what i am after', my personal opinion would be no it would be easier, cheaper, probably more reliable and have better resale value, to sell the NA Supra and buy a TT Supra.

wasn't picking Nic, I agree for 400bhp then selling the NA and buying a TT would be a much smarter and cheaper option

I was just simply saying others have said dropping a GTE in is a cheaper option in general compared to going NA-T, but as I said surely the bits you listed would need to be done regardless of going NA-T or GTE?

wasn't picking Nic, I agree for 400bhp then selling the NA and buying a TT would be a much smarter and cheaper option

I was just simply saying others have said dropping a GTE in is a cheaper option in general compared to going NA-T, but as I said surely the bits you listed would need to be done regardless of going NA-T or GTE?

Yes the costs of building say a 500+hp Supra may be similar on a GE and GTE as you essentially need to upgrade all the same supporting parts. However if you are going to invest £K's into a single turbo Supra the GTE makes a much better starting point with it's lower compression ratio, valvetrain, electronic ignition, TT gearbox, drivetrain, etc.

The OP asked whether an NA-T is worth it and later in the thread says '400bhp will be perfect for what i am after' My personal opinion would be no it's not not worth it, it'd be cheaper, probably more reliable and have better resale value, to sell the NA Supra and buy a TT Supra.

Nobody is ever really happy with 400 bhp unless it's in a Fiesta :D

Both you and Dan have a point, it's hard to know which one is the most valid.

Lyndon.

Yes the costs of building say a 500+hp Supra may be similar on a GE and GTE as you essentially need to upgrade all the same supporting parts. However if you are going to invest £K's into a single turbo Supra the GTE makes a much better starting point with it's lower compression ratio, valvetrain, electronic ignition, TT gearbox, drivetrain, etc.

I completely understand where you are coming from mate and i'm not saying you are wrong i'm more just trying to figure out best route as i'm at this cross roads at the minute and I already have the TT gearbox/drivetrain in my NA :)

Think as Lyndon says there is pro's and con's for both but for my goals i just can't see how going GTE and then going single will work out cheaper, if i've missed something then please tell me as i'm sure we all would love to save some money on our cars if we can (without compromising reliability ofcourse)