The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how much would you be spending to get your supra to around 600 bhp

Guest clarkey7960

ECU £500 (Emereld K6)

Turbo £500 (ATP GT35/82)

Oil line and Drain £25

Manifold £190 (xs-power - seriously re engineered)

Wastegate £65 (eBay)

Charge cooler core £110 (Wife modified)

Swirl Pot (Wife made) £0

CC Water Pump £80

CC Front Rad £100

CC Pipework £50

3" Exhaust and Down Pipe 316 SS £0 (Silverline Racing)

Fuel Injector 550cc Low Imp Siemens top feeds (£100 ebay swoop - in stock)

Fuel Rail, stock modified. FPR FSE -6 + gauge £100 (in stock)

Fuel Pump Rogue Motorsport Chinese Special (265 lph on pro drive fuel rig) £40 (in stock)

Autobox (-6) and engine oil cooler (-12) + pipes and fittings (£300 already in stock).

TT Autobox c/w TC £50, TT Flexplate £25 (already in stock)

Oil breather + pipes Think Automotive £120 (in stock)

Just need a TT Auto front prop half (£100?) and a trip to Dave Mac for a single piece unit £90.

Labour £0, Mapping £0, Wiring £0, Fabrication £0

Leaves me about £500 for sundries.

Lyndon.

what ecu is this. it the system the lad from powys was making ?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Robzki,

I am in the same boat as you, my car is full BPU at the moment, and as it is with us petrol heads, I am looking at the next step, which is single turbo...

The bank for buck is definitely worth it, but it is alot of bucks..

blah blah ;) my thinking also but you seem to have done your homework :)

All this is based on the pre-req that the motor is sound, any higher power, might as well refresh the bottom and go forged internals at the same time..

Exactly, I'm going to rebuild the head next, possibly during the summer. Then next year have a think on the turbos etc. I love the car and having spent more time and money than I would like to admit I'm never going to sell, I also want to do my own rather than sell this one and buy one already done, even though it makes fiscal sense.

I think 550hp is about all I want but don't want to be limited by the parts I fit if I ever do want to go for more, quality parts etc. I think the syvecs will be my most expensive outlay but I'm hoping that it will be good for any hp I head for.

Interested to see yours progress, so get on with it. ;)

Rob

:D

Now thats value for money :)

I've just noticed that the syvecs is around £2000 inc map and loom? so my costs are cheaper still. Its why I'm always dubious about the prices bandied about here. £3000 is a little more than £2000, £1000 in fact which is a fair bit of money, prices seem to be about 25-50% higher than the actual price if you shop around.

I would think that a syvecs, whifbitz kit, srd etc cams are pretty good spec.

we are only giving you prices from experience, enquire about sensors needed for the syvecs then come back on here with a reply... bare in mind i have the invoice sitting infront of me

Exactly, I'm going to rebuild the head next, possibly during the summer. Then next year have a think on the turbos etc. I love the car and having spent more time and money than I would like to admit I'm never going to sell, I also want to do my own rather than sell this one and buy one already done, even though it makes fiscal sense.

I think 550hp is about all I want but don't want to be limited by the parts I fit if I ever do want to go for more, quality parts etc. I think the syvecs will be my most expensive outlay but I'm hoping that it will be good for any hp I head for.

Interested to see yours progress, so get on with it. ;)

Rob

I agree, the fun is in building the car yourself, in-spite of the costs.. Plus you know you can floor the car with confidence it has been put together properly..

There are exceptions eg, Jamesys Do luck car..

I reckon it still is decent value for money that you can run 600hp without having to change much more than bolt on parts, after that I reckon you have to be in it for the long haul, if you open the motor, do it right the first time..

My dillema in Japan is that there are alot of parts available at decent prices, and I can end up buying alot of parts fairly fast, I dont think my wallet will keep up! :D

I am in Japan til the end of the year, so I will delay as much as I can before buying anything..

So no progress for now!!

I just like to add that if you plan on handing over the keys to someone like Lee P or similar i have no doubt it would cost around 10000-15000£ and you where just to pick up your car with 600rwhp. hence i belive that all this imo nonsence threds about "how much will xxxhp costs" becouse the figures will be all over the place. depending on alot of the maker, how much work is involved etc what do you have atm.

one thing is for sure no matter how big budget you have you will always brake it!

we are only giving you prices from experience, enquire about sensors needed for the syvecs then come back on here with a reply... bare in mind i have the invoice sitting infront of me

This.

Sensors will cost in the vicinity of £5-600, plus mapping and wiring at £600, plus Syvecs itself at £1500+.

This.

Sensors will cost in the vicinity of £5-600, plus mapping and wiring at £600, plus Syvecs itself at £1500+.

The sensors needed appear to be a secret then? :) I'll go and look to see what is needed.

At the last look at a group buy it was £1600 with a plug and play harness, the old ecu is kept for the auto so the harness is more expensive for an auto.

The sensors needed appear to be a secret then? :) I'll go and look to see what is needed.

At the last look at a group buy it was £1600 with a plug and play harness, the old ecu is kept for the auto so the harness is more expensive for an auto.

No secret. When you have invested in a built motor, it makes sense to monitor the engine's vital parameters - oil pressure, fuel pressure, AFR, detonation/knock, manifold pressure etc etc. The list can be as long as your desire for information, hence the vague price range. These sensors are not generally part of Toyota's standard equipment, and so need to be added. You can definitely run without them (well, some of them) but I suspect Ryan will refuse to map your car on a Syvecs.

Not trying to start a fight here but tell me honestly how many people have the time to watch all thoose parameters when driving? or you are talking about feature in S6 unit that will cut out the engine if some of the values get out of hand? in the other case it makes sence. however when driving with 600whp you are pretty busy with watching where you are going rather then check some fancy gauges. i get your point they are more or less a must have when mapping but tbh i dont see the point in having all thoose when the car is maped and such. well maybe knock control would be nice to have if a injector starts failing. but other then that iam sure Ryan could rent the gear out for mapping and remove it when its done.

Yeah obviously S6 will monitor it like most aftermarket ECU iam just saying that most people dont even logg the information given from the ECU, if the fuel pressure will go down most people wont know it, unless S6 will cut out the engine then i get the point. like if the oilpressure drops beyond 1bar/1000rpm the solaris cuts the engine dont even know if it will do such features but if it wont i dont see the point in having lots of sensor that no one will see the parameters of. the Knock control is really nice tho but thats becouse it controls alot. iam guessing that it can be programed to

a, increase fuel

b, let off some timing

c, cut the engine out

and all together if non of it works.

but the others i dont really see the point. other then a tool for mapping. Sure james i can see you having it since you are doing lots of tweaks,bigger/smaller turbo etc and changes bits every now and then.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

I totally understand but then i guess there is a built in logging feature in the s6? most ecus dont have alot of memory for the logging, or do you have a recording option to a flash memory or such? 1MB aparently dont know for how long that memory would last before it starts to writeover but i get your point. just saying for 600whp no need to go over the top.

so i dislike when people are saying building an engine costs 15.000k just becouse thats what you paid or someone else payed. lee said 15k id guess a custumer would walk in to his shop ask for 600whp leave the keys and then pic up the car. i built my Mk3 7m engine for around 8000£ with a forged internal everyting messured by a workshop and a proper cylinderhead job with 1mm bigger valves. yes i had an old ECU system (haltech E6k) but it had most of the features i needed.

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

Yeah so if you where driving it and you would loose lets say fuelpressure on certain rpms, or oilpressure would drop on certain rpm you would not really know about i cant really argue becouse i dont know how Ryan programs the Solaris but iam guessing that the only time it will interfear would be knock control. if so for a random person there would be no real need to get any more senors then the knock control (probebly the most expensive sensor aswell, anyway)

Yeah so if you where driving it and you would loose lets say fuelpressure on certain rpms, or oilpressure would drop on certain rpm you would not really know about i cant really argue becouse i dont know how Ryan programs the Solaris but iam guessing that the only time it will interfear would be knock control. if so for a random person there would be no real need to get any more senors then the knock control (probebly the most expensive sensor aswell, anyway)

I understand completely what you are saying - but I'd rather have failsafes within the ECU (which reacts much faster than I could anyway), rather than have to watch gauges. My current ECU (Autronic) was mapped to 830 rwhp using old school methods, but I wanted both VVTi control and more ECU monitoring now.

Ryan would be best to speak to but as far as im aware it changes all sorts if it sees a problem, if the ecu sees a fuel pressure drop it will put the car in limp mode etc, i even logged coolant pressure on my car when we suspected head lift.

Oh, and I forgot to say that all decent ECUs will come with logging and capacity can be upgraded. Of course, like computers, "appropriate" capacity can be obsolete very quickly, and also depends on how many data streams are being monitored. Some ECUs now come with wireless or Bluetooth that can be buffered remotely (for example, a laptop in pit lane, for download each lap past the start/finish).

Mate iam not arguing about it really it seems to be a top notch ECU no doubt, however not everyone wants to pay for a "top notch" ECU, so again when people asks how much does 600whp cost, well there is no simple answer and the person should imo a, either consult SRD for example or b, scan the internet for various bits and kits. there will never be a " THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED" list its down to each person, for getting 600whp maybe you dont need all the fancy stuff. why dont people say?

-mate you need to have a Motec M800 ecu with all extra features unlocked? the solaris is good no duobt but hardly a must need for getting 600whp. people just by default think that omg buying parts in a box with a label is the only way to go. (yeah its the easy way maybe). the turbo kit i used was a Schwitzer s300 aka Borg warner s300, it had a forged wheels, it was flowpreped and was rated to 700hp i bought a cheap manifold from USA, custom made the lines, built my own exhaust.

total cost was about 1300-1500£ for a complete turbo kit with exhaust manifold,turbo, K&N air filter, 4inch intake pipe, custom made DP with v-band flange, -4 (or -6 cant remeber) feed -12 drain 1 weld end -12 for return. ofcourse this is not for everyone, not everyone want to get there hands dirty and for some the equal kit will kost maybe 5k fitted. but that dont meen that it actually cost that much.

Ryan would be best to speak to but as far as im aware it changes all sorts if it sees a problem, if the ecu sees a fuel pressure drop it will put the car in limp mode etc, i even logged coolant pressure on my car when we suspected head lift.

i think most modern ECUs will let you use various channels for monitoring what ever basicly. would be easy enough to pop some kinde of pressure sender in the coolant system and see if there is any pressure rise. i think i could even have done that on my old E6K system (oil pressure channel or such) i get your point and obviously having an s6 that is tuned by Ryan is a "cheap" insurence.