The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how much would you be spending to get your supra to around 600 bhp

Guest clarkey7960

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may have already been said but has anyone ever Been able to budget within a few £100's on there single builds, mine was,

Already bpu with greddy I/c

Used greddy turbo kit inc injectors and fpr £1800

Hks f con £850

Clutch and flywheel £950

A few pipes/hoses/clamps etc £500

Mapping £300ish

Bosch 044 £150

That's £4550......

All in all I spent roughly £10k, once you get started its hard not to stop as its all so much easier to add things to the build as its all apart and easy to fit. If the the budget is tight, for example you have £8k but won't be able add to that for a while then don't risk starting it and the car being off the road for ages, get all the bits together bit by bit and when you THINK you have all the bits you need keep a couple of k in the bank for those little bits that crop up. Good luck ;)

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

We've got MS3X's on the race bikes, £400 quid delivered, sensors and boost controller are another 100. They come in on par and occasionally ahead of the other bikes, mostly running the Pectel SQ6, of which is the same as a Syvecs.

Stock auto box is fine for 600bhp ballpark if mapped with a syvecs. It's the torque at WoT unadjusted that would kill a stock box so my s6 was setup by Ryan to temporarily lower torque on shift then ramps straight back up. Check my dyno plot in the ecu register - Ryan said it was one of the nicest stock block autos he's mapped.

Dont scrimp on the ecu, after coming from a setup running an EMB to an S6 the transformation was remarkable in how much more responsive in every way the car became.

enquire about sensors needed for the syvecs then come back on here with a reply

Sensors will cost in the vicinity of £5-600

The sensors needed appear to be a secret then? :) I'll go and look to see what is needed.

You come over very arrogant which makes me no want to give you any advice tbh.

I apologise for coming over arrogant, it definitely wasn't my intention. I mentioned them being 'secret' from the above posts which quoted 'needing' sensors which cost £5-600. I now know what these are after searching the forum. My comments were and mostly are either intended to be in jest, tongue in cheek or just inquisitive. I am no keyboard warrior or troll. Yours and everyone elses opinions and advice are always appreciated.

Not trying to start a fight here but tell me honestly how many people have the time to watch all thoose parameters when driving? or you are talking about feature in S6 unit that will cut out the engine if some of the values get out of hand? in the other case it makes sence. however when driving with 600whp you are pretty busy with watching where you are going rather then check some fancy gauges. i get your point they are more or less a must have when mapping but tbh i dont see the point in having all thoose when the car is maped and such. well maybe knock control would be nice to have if a injector starts failing. but other then that iam sure Ryan could rent the gear out for mapping and remove it when its done.

This is the whole point of the Syvecs, Where as most have gauges all over the dash for lambda, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Fuel Pressure, EGT etc..... Which costs over £400 and in the event of a problem its going to be missed if you are driving hard a 600hp car..... and it certainly wont be logged.

The Syvecs range take all these these inputs direct into the ecu but what makes it different to most ecu's is it actually does something about it.

For example:

It monitors fuel pressure relative to Manifold pressure. If a fuel pump fails or wiring is overworked (like it is on most supra fuel system) then it will spot a problem and automatically compensate.... If it gets so bad it will put in a limp mode.

Oil pressure is monitored based on RPM, if the there is oil pressure problem at high rpm or on track... Limp mode or Cut engine if severe.

Egt's get to hot then it compensates in Fueling.

Proper Knock control which allows me to produce some of the biggest HP figures on pump fuel in the world for the 2JZ.

Closed loop lambda control with different variables of Trims amounts based of Manifold pressure and proper failure detection.

Oil and Water temp trips if gets too hot.

Warm up Limps (which jamie hate :D) Stops car going full power until oil is warm enough etc

Monitoring of Crank case pressure and trips if gets too high to save a block or seals.

But Most of all is the the Logging. The ability to log items at over a 1000 times a second with out having to have a laptop plugged in is price less for diagnosising problem and for properly mapping a car.

This is the main reason why Syvecs, Life Racing, Pectel and motec are not cheap.

But trying to configure say knock control at only a maximum of 30hz on like the LINK ecu's, Megasquirts, emeralds etc is a waste of time and why no one uses it.

Why Waste all the money on building a powerplant and fitting a cheap management. Its like building a house and not putting a roof on it!

Go back 6 years and see how many 2JZ's used to let go at only 500-600hp and now try and find one these days where the Syvecs is around.

Ryan

Thanks for the info. I'm not usually one to get excited over an ecu, but I do like the Syvecs, it is the only one I would buy.

Does the syvecs just take an analog (0-5v I think) signal for the sensors? I only ask as all of my sensor modules have an analog output.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks Ryan for the lesson. I have no doubt about the syvecs. However i still belive that 600whp Will be okay on other engine managements. However there might need to be mapped more safe.

Also the syvecs seems to be where it is today ofc by being a very modern unit but mostly due to you, and the amount of knowledge you have about this ECU. I read alot about in the gtr s8 thread and to say iam impressed is an understatement. Maybe you should start to educate people to make the market abit wider for the syvecs?! In all honestly i dont really think that the ECU is THAT expensive. As my knowledge is not that great about mapping all i can say is that it seems worth every penny.

That Said i still belive there is plenty of other ECU that Will make 600whp and do a good job. But they Will probebly not be as forgiving as the syvecs.

How about haltech sport 2000 does that feature simular to link or syvecs?

Forget all these ECU's what you need is a RaspberryPI. 800mhz ARM11 256mb, sd card, HDMI (with sound), Twin USB, Build it xbox1 gpu, 1080p HD video codec, 10/100 ethernet all for $25 :)

You could make a killer ECU out of one of these and have mapping/logging/display facilities built in. Just need to build the engine interface and plug in a HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Hmmmmmm!

Lyndon.

Forget all these ECU's what you need is a RaspberryPI. 800mhz ARM11 256mb, sd card, HDMI (with sound), Twin USB, Build it xbox1 gpu, 1080p HD video codec, 10/100 ethernet all for $25 :)

You could make a killer ECU out of one of these and have mapping/logging/display facilities built in. Just need to build the engine interface and plug in a HDMI monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Hmmmmmm!

Lyndon.

Now thats why you are a hobbyist :)

Stock auto box is fine for 600bhp ballpark if mapped with a syvecs. It's the torque at WoT unadjusted that would kill a stock box so my s6 was setup by Ryan to temporarily lower torque on shift then ramps straight back up. Check my dyno plot in the ecu register - Ryan said it was one of the nicest stock block autos he's mapped.

Dont scrimp on the ecu, after coming from a setup running an EMB to an S6 the transformation was remarkable in how much more responsive in every way the car became.

hopefully mine will be fine then

Hmmmmmm!

Lyndon.

Already doing that. When complete, will post on the forum. Using a Touch screen though, Centrafuse and Evoscan + a couple of other bits.

Hmmmmmm!

Lyndon.

this is a very good point, why cant you just have a laptop run it all? it would need some sort of interfacing but what is the problem using one? its all software right?

this is a very good point, why cant you just have a laptop run it all? it would need some sort of interfacing but what is the problem using one? its all software right?

Windows is the primary reason you can't just use a laptop. You can't guarantee it won't just hour glass you half track :D

RaspberryPi runs a Linux based OS and would be more suitable. It's also the size of a credit card which means if will fit anywhere.

It's very new tech so don't expect to see anything to clever just yet. BroadCom are being a bit tight with releasing the full prcessor spec.

Lyndon.