The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will my budget get me a 6 speed manual?

skyline1

Benefits are, price and the choice of cars it opens up to you. No clutch issues very reliable. They are not an annoying auto, they hold rev's well don't 'fish' for gears like lots of auto's in other cars. Smooth gear changes give great off the line acceleration, I like the over drive switch and on the motorways and use it to change down to third for quick overtakes etc.

But you won't get it to easily get sideways on a dry t-junction, and they aren't as playful as a manual.

Good answer here, not that i like to thrash a car because i dont but i do like some sideways action and all the fun of being on the limit with arse clenching action.

gonna have to have a serious think about what im gonna do.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO Autos are better for bpu cars. When you go BPU, the effect the second turbo has on acceleration is amazing, and when combined with the kick down on the auto box it is truly phenomenal. The manual gearbox takes the edge of it somewhat.

It really like a bpu VVTi tiptronic, though I hear there can be issues with the speed limiter.

500bhp on an auto box is getting near the risky zone. just cant beat a clutch pedal :)

Bpu+ is fine, it's when you go single it starts becoming an issue. Some get by okay with upto 600hp with the autobox, with the assistance of coolers. Tbh 2nd hand auto boxes are so cheap they can almost be classed as a wear item though.

i think toyota are stupid for not making more manuals!:(

The autobox was a major selling point of the car, the 6 speed was almost an afterthought. It's the customers who you should blame, not Toyota.

Tbh the autobox is better than the manual most of the time. The 6 speed is a clunky, awkward thing to use around town in comparison.

I have read a few comments on here about the manual gear boxes being clunky and arkward to deal with, and issues with fighting to find gears sometimes. didnt think the manuals would have any issues like that to be fair.... could it just be the wrong oil's in the box or thining over age or just the box in general not being so good.

Guest Supra_Chris

Two years ago I started looking for a 6 speed manual and waited about 3 months for the right one to come along on pistonheads etc. Picked up a bpu tt for 9K, and I was lucky in that it only had 50,000 miles on the clock. It was definitely worth the wait, as there were a few that looked a bit suspicious and I'm glad I waited.

I have read a few comments on here about the manual gear boxes being clunky and arkward to deal with, and issues with fighting to find gears sometimes. didnt think the manuals would have any issues like that to be fair.... could it just be the wrong oil's in the box or thining over age or just the box in general not being so good.

No, it's just the character of the box. Some are better than others though.

TBH you soon get used to its clunky nature, but really the auto shouldn't be considered the poor alternative, unless you're going single the auto is perfect for the supra. The only downside I can think of is the fuel economy is a bit worse on a long run.

Fuel consumption is never a issue for me really as the skyline was always thirsty:D

so providing i go no higher spec than BPU on a auto box i cant lose really, any more spec than that i want a manual to be on the safer side. i think i could deal with a auto its just getting used to it i guess , knowing when the back end might get twitchy and how to handle it with a auto will be weird as im a virgin with autos :rolleyes:

Like a lot have said BPU on an auto is no problem, I'll hurry up and get mine to BPU and take you out in it :D

And a few people have had 450-600BHP single auto's, it seems if the supporting mods are there 500-550BHP is a safe amount of power (again could be wrong :) ).

Dude ran his stealth car on a stock auto (I think) with a GT35 pushing around 600BHP and had great results, I loved reading this :D

DUDE'S KILL

Least its not just me thinking that then, i know supra's are known for there strong engines but i still aim to get one with lower mileage for my money.

I think it comes down to what you class as low miles. My TT6 import is about to turn 16 years old and did 27k km on the original dials and has 85k miles since converting in 1998. I've owned the car since 98 and figure 102k miles is pretty low mileage at 6,000 miles a year average. The last 10 years have averaged more like 3k to 4k per year so with full synthetic oil changes at those intervals the engine feels and runs as good as I remember it did 14 years ago and this Supra did a fair amount of fun autobahn travel in the early years of my ownership.

On the price front, those have firmed up over the last 3 to 4 years. There are lots of classifieds around for £8k+ but I'd value my car more around the £6.5k privately as a very good condition example with BPU (330bhp at the wheels when RR tested in 2009). Just bide your time as the very good ones are hard to find, in 1998 when all mk iv supras were still pretty new, I looked a 6 before buying this one and with 14 years of ownership and still enjoying it shows that care taken pays good dividends.