The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will my budget get me a 6 speed manual?

skyline1

I paid 4K though and the engine was sweet, the turbos were knackered, each to there own but if you have a budget of 8.5K you have to compromise a little, I fully understand what you are saying in general but I lost the engine on my 60K Single, its a lot about how its been looked after, my TT6 would be worth no more than 10K IMO once finished (not that I am selling!)

It was a good price mate, add up what you have spent on it though and i bet you could have got a lot better car for the money.

You should have broke it and made a fortune;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know there are always gonna be some abused dogs out there but by the sounds of it 8.5k may get me a dog. im gonna keep saving till something takes my fancy, deep down i know i want a manual ..... auto....just not 100% sure id be happy with it.

Gonna be a very hit and miss task finding a 6 speed with the spec i want?

i know there are always gonna be some abused dogs out there but by the sounds of it 8.5k may get me a dog. im gonna keep saving till something takes my fancy, deep down i know i want a manual ..... auto....just not 100% sure id be happy with it.

Gonna be a very hit and miss task finding a 6 speed with the spec i want?

try an auto dude, youll love it. I was very seceptical when i bought my TT auto, but dont be decieved, theyre fun and easy to drive every day through the mountains of traffic. Well worth a look into thats all :-)

If you want a good solid 6 speed, it very possible for your budget that Paul Brown one would have been ideal, in fact if he still really has it then he may be up for a deal because the email I have is dated 15th August 2011!

May be Maz's car would be a possibility, it needs a clutch but so might any manual a year or so into ownership and it doesn't hurt to look at it/make an offer if it's to your taste.

Ive been in one Auto supra and i liked it, but i think it would be in manual mode all the time lol so saying that i may as well just buy a manual and do it right the first time around. nothing against the auto's at all i just like to feel in control over a car not to be controlled.

Ive been in one Auto supra and i liked it, but i think it would be in manual mode all the time lol so saying that i may as well just buy a manual and do it right the first time around. nothing against the auto's at all i just like to feel in control over a car not to be controlled.

thats fair enough dude :-) hope a decent tt6 comes up trumps for you.

Thinking about it now....is it worth converting a auto to a manual? just thinking other options to go with it all.

The 6 speeds are going up in price and seem to be getting rarer. Your budget of 8.5k is sufficient and if your patient the right car will come along. A lot less hassle that way too.

I paid 1,200,000yen for my car (about 8800GBP).

It was a stock TT6 (just exhaust/lowering springs as mods), 111000kms.

Apart from BPU, I had to spend on paint work, and money refurbing in the interior. The motor was in good condition apart from a cracked radiator, my turbos are a bit smokey but not critical...

And trust me, this was one of the cleaner ones I looked at, some of the cars I saw was in shocking condtion. At the time I would have paid double the price for a low mileage, clean car...

These cars are getting old and scarce, and clean ones are going to call their price. I follow the auction sites in Japan, and there are very few good cars left at a decent price.

I would say if you prepared to put some effort in at that budget, you should end up with a clean car, but it may be better to save up and by a clean, low mileage example and save the headache.

is it practical to drive a supra auto around in manual mode alot? And in manual mode it only changes up gears don't it? (unless you kick down).

Id stick with the plan and wait for a nice manual, Ive had a lot of both and although the auto is a decent box manual is far better if you like enjoy driving a car properly, auto's are cheap for a reason.

You dont see people doing auto conversions.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

In my opinion, you should always budget £2-3k over the purchase price for unexpected, or peace of mind, maintenance. Very very few cars, even low mileage ones, have been pampered with no expense spared - so on the average Supra, there are many mechanical parts that might be on the verge of failure. Yes, they are very well built and nigh-on bullet-proof - but need maintenance, like anything!

Can't make my mind up what to do really, I like the idea of a auto for cruising and traffic but it's alot of money to spend on a auto if I don't like it.

Why is there so many auto's out there.... Am I just being picky as surely you guys with your auto boxes are happy with them.

Can't make my mind up what to do really, I like the idea of a auto for cruising and traffic but it's alot of money to spend on a auto if I don't like it.

Why is there so many auto's out there.... Am I just being picky as surely you guys with your auto boxes are happy with them.

I had an auto & currently have a single speed. The auto was superb! I only brought this one purely because it was extremely low miles & if I wanted to go single the option was there.

Put it this way, the last super car I drove which had a proper manual was the first Audi R8's. Apart from the porsche's you can't get a manual!

Benefits are, price and the choice of cars it opens up to you. No clutch issues very reliable. They are not an annoying auto, they hold rev's well don't 'fish' for gears like lots of auto's in other cars. Smooth gear changes give great off the line acceleration, I like the over drive switch and on the motorways and use it to change down to third for quick overtakes etc.

But you won't get it to easily get sideways on a dry t-junction, and they aren't as playful as a manual.

Benefits are, price and the choice of cars it opens up to you. No clutch issues very reliable. They are not an annoying auto, they hold rev's well don't 'fish' for gears like lots of auto's in other cars. Smooth gear changes give great off the line acceleration, I like the over drive switch and on the motorways and use it to change down to third for quick overtakes etc.

But you won't get it to easily get sideways on a dry t-junction, and they aren't as playful as a manual.

You won't get a better explanation than that. :)

Oh, and auto's are quicker ;)