The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some advice required for a first time Supra buyer

Guest xIx LB xIx

I wouldn't buy a car based on service history. Receipts for items replaced are far more important.

I rang a Toyota dealer a while ago to ask what fluids they recommended, the sales bloke put me onto their workshop manager who told me that they just put in whatever they can get cheapest from halfords over the road. He was honest but it was not what I was expecting. Does a service book full of stamps really mean anything?

I would rather judge the car on the previous owner and his knowledge of the car.

Exactly, just because its been dealer serviced doesnt meen its been done well, will be done as fast as possible for maximum profit using the cheapest comsumables. I always wind my friend up over him taking his audi back to the dealer for EVERYTHING, he even buys 5l of their "special Audi specific" oil from them, costs him around the £70. He does however seem to believe its actually made to audi's specification, rather than just being a run of the mill fully synth 5w30 oil in a pretty silver bottle.

Pretty sure I never mentioned dealer history :)

My cars not been into a Toyota dealer since i bought it but it still has service history and

a comprehensive folder containing receipts for everything the car has had done to it, including

what fluids have been used etc etc

A pic of one pile of receipts i've got for parts

dunk%20sale%20pics%20003.jpg

Wasnt aimed at you Dnk :)

My local Toyota didnt have a clue about an MR2 turbo, so seriously doubt their supra knowledge!

I believe you :rolleyes:

I agree, some dealerships are shocking no matter what name is outside, years ago when the supra

mkiv was released here the dealer i bought my 1st uk car off had a techie specially trained on the

mkiv and he was good.

Things have changed since though, i actually went to Toyota B'ham in my supra a little while ago

and a mechanic was walking across the car park while i was parking actually came over and said

your not bringing that here for work are you ?

Shocking really but luckily for me i have an excellent local garage who do most of the work on my car,

or if there not busy my old race team who are also local.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I believe you :rolleyes:

I agree, some dealerships are shocking no matter what name is outside, years ago when the supra

mkiv was released here the dealer i bought my 1st uk car off had a techie specially trained on the

mkiv and he was good.

Things have changed since though, i actually went to Toyota B'ham in my supra a little while ago

and a mechanic was walking across the car park while i was parking actually came over and said

your not bringing that here for work are you ?

Shocking really but luckily for me i have an excellent local garage who do most of the work on my car,

or if there not busy my old race team who are also local.

I agree with being shocked by dealers.

Last year i was giving my gf a lift to pick up her igo from Toyota after having it serviced and i happened to ask for a quote for a service on the Supra. A short time later the girl came back and said the mechanic had taken a look at it and gave me a quote of about £350 ish from memory.

She then said they were charging a bit more seeing as its an import. I asked her what gave her the impression it was an import? She replied that the mechanic who would be doing the service informed her. She then asked if i wanted to put it through, and i had to say that id rather take it to someone who can tell a uk spec from an import.

I dont know if it was lack of practice working on them or what, but it kinda put me off.

If such a basic mistake could be made, who's to say what the next one would be if they got their hands on it.

I agree with being shocked by dealers.

Last year i was giving my gf a lift to pick up her igo from Toyota after having it serviced and i happened to ask for a quote for a service on the Supra. A short time later the girl came back and said the mechanic had taken a look at it and gave me a quote of about £350 ish from memory.

She then said they were charging a bit more seeing as its an import. I asked her what gave her the impression it was an import? She replied that the mechanic who would be doing the service informed her. She then asked if i wanted to put it through, and i had to say that id rather take it to someone who can tell a uk spec from an import.

I dont know if it was lack of practice working on them or what, but it kinda put me off.

If such a basic mistake could be made, who's to say what the next one would be if they got their hands on it.

I remember reading on here that someone took their car to Toyota for something and the chap said "You'd be better off taking that to Nissan".

Odd.

Bad experiences with RA motors in the past. Drove 400+ miles to view a car that was described as "mint" and it was far from it, accident damage and in terrible shape. The rest of the stock at the time wasnt anything special either.

Just be aware.

You should always be aware but there aren't many UK's about and TBH from the ebay pics it doesn't look dire. RA motors has been going some time and I believe the guy used to be on here years ago as "Rash" and was an owner and so at the very least he shouldn't have bought into stock a complete lemon of a supra.

With all advertised cars from adverts on the net you only get an impression of what the car may be like, you making the trip to yours was disappointing someone making the effort to see this one might be the same but he may be pleasantly surprised........

Guest xIx LB xIx

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.

I've found this one on eBay, similar miles and it says it has full service history, previous MOt's (could be a real insight into how it's been looked after over the years) and old receipts.

I've noticed, however, that there is significant wear on the driver's seat which hasn't been mentioned - if i do proceed further with it then i'd definitely mention that.

Let me know what you think, thanks a lot

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Toyota-Supra-3-0-TWIN-TURBO-UK-CAR-AUTO-STANDARD-ORIGINAL-EXAMPLE-/280846170050?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4163bc77c2

Car traders rarely mention negative things about cars when their selling, only when their buying :)

Also a pair of shocks with discs and pads isn't £1000 :blink:

As i've said you need to go through the history on the car and see if anything else has been replaced, if not

then in the not too distant future you will be getting your wallet out !

I can believe the £1000+ and I suspect the dealer wouldn't mention this without an invoice to show?

£300 shocks (maybe + the dust shields/rubbers that always perish maybe 2 new droplinks?)

£200 disks

£120 Pads? (possible rear handbrake shoes?)

Possibly new fluid at the same time

Labour 5 hours maybe?......

The 18 year old leather in cream will be showing it's age, i'm not sure what you can expect at this age/price point really?

I would still check it out to compare to the friend of a friends one. Dunk is right to point out some of the potential costs but you could get one of even none of these happen in the first year 10K miles of ownership. It may pay to be patient as every month or two another will come up for sale, but then you could find yourself waiting forever! The saving grace of a Supra is that unlike lots of 15+ year old cars the odds are still in your favour in respect of not getting an absolute money pit, few are absolute lemons.

I guess if done at a dealer inc the labour then £1000 is probably about right, i was going on

what i pay :)

£320 for discs & pads all round and less than £300 for a pair of dampers.

The wear on the drivers seat looks pretty similar to how mine was at this kind of milage

I wouldn't buy a car based on service history. Receipts for items replaced are far more important.

I rang a Toyota dealer a while ago to ask what fluids they recommended, the sales bloke put me onto their workshop manager who told me that they just put in whatever they can get cheapest from halfords over the road. He was honest but it was not what I was expecting. Does a service book full of stamps really mean anything?

I would rather judge the car on the previous owner and his knowledge of the car.

My point was this, you might find a thread I post not so long ago when my sister brought a Mercedes with full dealer history & her gearbox let go at 60k! My brother in law had a similar issue too, they both brought the car completely on the fact that it had SH so it must be good. I pointed this out out on both occasions, having a history doesn't mean the car has been looked after, though they fell head over heels on both purchases and decided to buy them.

They both are not car people & will not add an ounce of maintenance to their cars apart from taking it to the dealer when it is sluggish or when the indicator comes on the dash board to tell them it needs a 'service'. On paper that looks great, but what about the actual car themselves? The owner will give you massive insight into if the car is being looked after as it should, this is my point.

:)

I totally agree that a great big pile of receipts, mots & service history doesn't mean the car you

buy will not have problems but it seriously reduces the risk if the you can see lots of costly parts

have been replaced and with new o/e parts, not half worn out stuff from a breakers.

If a car has several owners, is an import or being sold by a dealer how can you get any

insight on what the previous owner/s are like ?

Im not fooled or blinded by a car that has all its documentation etc that im going on about

but i'd rather buy one with all this than nothing.

Each to their own ofcourse and all im doing is trying to be honest and give the OP a heads up

into what could be a serious money pit.

My experiance comes from owning my car for over 12 years and giving it the best oils service

parts etc.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)