The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo timers - what is the point?

CJ

I didn't know that re. Gamers. I thought he had had an accident. Must have been when I was "in season" out on Kos :)

One could simply extend the breather filter with a tube and drop it on the bottom of the car. Hopefully away from the rear tyres :)

I have a turbo timer on my nissan, you know what I find a turbo timer most usefull for ? Winter time. I like to run my car up and melt any ice and normally I have to leave my keys sat in the car for 10mins before I leave my house. With my turbo timer I can still do that but now I can lock the car and leave it. Well handy IMO ;)

Although the funniest thing about these is forgetting the car is running off the turbo timer, leaving your keys in your pocket and driving off down the road and 10mins later is dies on you lol. Mine doesnt appear to be wired throught the handbrake or anything like others are saying, I can drive mine on my turbo timer.

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

Turbo timers are pointless and yes illegal, your not supposed to leave your car running unattended.

Oil Catch tanks do what they say, catch oil vapour. As Jamie already stated this should be minimal, unless something is up.

yeah thats what i used my timer for, to warm it up just set the timer high and go and finish my cup of tea.

saying that tho, if the car can easily be taken like this then my turbo timer will be coming out.

Dude, I already said I can leave the car running on the turbo timer and then remove the keys and lock the doors, no one is knicking mine :D its when I get back into the car forgetting to put the keys back in the ingnition or forgetting to turn the key to number 2 ;)

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

yeah thats what i used my timer for, to warm it up just set the timer high and go and finish my cup of tea.

saying that tho, if the car can easily be taken like this then my turbo timer will be coming out.

I seem to recall reading that this was not a good way of warming an engine up and could damage it. If I remember correctly (I think it was CW) they advised starting and moving it straight away.

I seem to recall reading that this was not a good way of warming an engine up and could damage it. If I remember correctly (I think it was CW) they advised starting and moving it straight away.

But its a bit difficult to move it when all of your windows are iced over, I dont use de-icer, so when its sub zero, I have to defrost the thing before I can drive it, and this happens how many times a year ? I dont think its gonna be catostrophic damage given the amount of time that this equates to over a year ;)

so when you start your car you should drive it and not leave it running?

ive always thought you should let it warm up standing still first ?

Supposedly not, cant remember what the cause is, but give it 20-30 secs or so get the oil up there and get only ;)