The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is BPU+ and how much is it to do?

Chris Bailey

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've only had it a month, where are these figures coming from? If it was from the advert when you bought it then they were lying.

If you want 400BHP, make sure all cats are out (meow), make sure you've got a restrictor ring, and if it's not making over 1bar you can file down the restrictor ring, or get a boost controller.

I'm assuming it's a j-spec? Has that been said?

Just to clarify, as I am the previous owner, I never said the car was running 400bhp.

To quote: "She is running with a full BPU kit and therefore I would estimate her being just under 400bhp."

and to add, yes i took the MINES ECU off before selling the car. The MINES ECU was never listed in the sale on here or autotrader. It was an optional extra I bought myself for £400 after buying the car which was sold to me 2 years ago as 'full BPU'.

The ECU was sold on here as well, so its not like I was trying to hide the sale and fcuk you over so dont make it come across like I was.

When I bought the car 2 years ago I copied the Spec from the same advert:

Stainless Steel Exhaust System

Restrictor Ring Fitted

Uprated Walbro Fuel Pump

Performance Iridium Plugs

1st decat.

I merely copied the same advert as I never changed anything on the car engine wise.

Edited by Supralad (see edit history)

and to add, yes i took the MINES ECU off before selling the car. The MINES ECU was never listed in the sale on here or autotrader. It was an optional extra I bought myself for £400 after buying the car which was sold to me 2 years ago as 'full BPU'.

The ECU was sold on here as well, so its not like I was trying to hide the sale and fcuk you over so dont make it come across like I was.

When I bought the car 2 years ago I copied the Spec from the same advert:

Restrictor Ring Fitted

Uprated Walbro Fuel Pump

1st decat.

I merely copied the same advert as I never changed anything on the car engine wise.

No-one said you did try that. Your ad clearly doesn't have it listed and your separate sale thread for it is quite clear.

Now pick up your toys and put them back in the pram.

Is it not likely to be 389BHP at the Fly? That sounds more realistic does it not? :)

I dont know, if you understand and write the queens english its pretty simple, my sig says 1024 @ the hubs which is what it was if it was flywheel it would have said that !!! Im just saying his sig says that so the figures come from somewhere, hence the lad getting a flaming when its obvious thats what hes been told.

Edited by dude (see edit history)

It doesnt anymore......

Description

Engine Specifications:

Full Black Leather

18 Inch Volks Alloys

EOM Bodykit and Bomex Front Spoiler

Restrictor Ring Fitted

Dump Valve

Uprated Walbro Fuel Pump

Chrome Engine Pipes & Silicone Hosing UK Spec

UK Brakes

UK Spec Glass Headlights

Crystal Front/Side Lights

Clifford Cat 1 Alarm/Immobiliser

Fuel, Tuning & ECU:

Full BPU

Mines ECU Powered

Suspension, Wheels, Tires & Brakes:

UK Supra breaks (front and rears)

Lightweigh Rays VOLKS alloys

Performance:

Max power - 389 bhp @ rear hubs

Max torque - ??? lb/ft

Max speed - ??? mph

0-60 - ?.? seconds

Is it not likely to be 389BHP at the Fly? That sounds more realistic does it not? :)

389BHP at the Fly is likely to be more accurate seeing as he still has the 2nd CAT in :taped:

As far as the boost controller is concerned, i am another one who recommends getting one, from what i've gathered, boost levels after a RR is installed differ massively as not all RR are the same size, and don't always give the same boost as described as not everybody has the same exhaust system ie a 1 bar RR may not give you exactly 1 bar, it depends on how restrictive/free slowing your exhaust system is. Use the boost controller to up it too 1.2bar on a cold day and your done.

I dont know, if you understand and write the queens english its pretty simple, my sig says 1024 @ the hubs which is what it was if it was flywheel it would have said that !!! Im just saying his sig says that so the figures come from somewhere, hence the lad getting a flaming when its obvious thats what hes been told.

I know dude, we have a dyno where I work. What I meant was whoever has dyno'd the car previously hasn't explained where the power fig had come from. I was trying to explain to the op that it was more likely to be a flywheel fig, and not power at the hubs.

Plus not all dyno operators explain where the power and torque figures come from. I suppose you see cars on chassis dyno's and your average Joe would assume that because the wheels are transmitting the power to the rollers, the figures that come up on the screen are WHP figures. Hence him thinking the 389BHP is at the hubs maybe?

389BHP at the Fly is likely to be more accurate seeing as he still has the 2nd CAT in :taped:

As far as the boost controller is concerned, i am another one who recommends getting one, from what i've gathered, boost levels after a RR is installed differ massively as not all RR are the same size, and don't always give the same boost as described as not everybody has the same exhaust system ie a 1 bar RR may not give you exactly 1 bar, it depends on how restrictive/free slowing your exhaust system is. Use the boost controller to up it too 1.2bar on a cold day and your done.

It wont be 390 at the flywheel either, not at .8 bar !!!

It wont be 390 at the flywheel either, not at .8 bar !!!

Its running 0.8bar now yes, but wasn't it running 1.2 bar before the removal of the Mines ECU? thats the jist i got anyway from reading the previous owners posts and seeing as it was supposedly full BPU (with exception of the 2nd cat still in place). How he managed it without a BC though :think:

Well it can't be full BPU with one cat left in can it. You'd think after having had it for 2 years he'd have known that and then not been so lazy as to just copy and paste the ad that had advertised it 2 years previously. The figure is spurious as best and just plain made up at worst. Shows how much he bothered with the car if he was unaware it wasn't BPU (if that ends up being the case)

Well it can't be full BPU with one cat left in can it.

Nope, it can't. I think the issue here is the OP believes in order for a car to be BPU, it just has to be running 1.2bar. Hopefully it wasnt running that boost with the 2nd cat in, EGT's would have been high i would imagine :(

Nope, it can't. I think the issue here is the OP believes in order for a car to be BPU, it just has to be running 1.2bar. Hopefully it wasnt running that boost with the 2nd cat in, EGT's would have been high i would imagine :(

No doubt!

Be interesting to see what Whifbitz uncover. I don't know about you lot, but if you decided to sell your pride and joy, would you copy and paste the ad that advertised the car when you bought it or would you create a new one (particularly after 2 years!)? What does it say to you? I know what it says to me! And using the old sale pics too - I don't know, perhaps I'm just overly cynical but it just sounds either lazy or slightly dodgy.

No doubt!

Be interesting to see what Whifbitz uncover. I don't know about you lot, but if you decided to sell your pride and joy, would you copy and paste the ad that advertised the car when you bought it or would you create a new one (particularly after 2 years!)? What does it say to you? I know what it says to me! And using the old sale pics too - I don't know, perhaps I'm just overly cynical but it just sounds either lazy or slightly dodgy.

thanks for your opinion