Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JohnSupra1

BPU spec list

Double decat

restrictor ring

Fuel cut defender

Ngk Spark plug

Walbro fuel pump

You don't need an front mount intercooler or boost controller...

use 1.2 Restrictor ring?

It doesn't work like that. I have a 1.2bar restrictor ring in my car, well I did, and I hit 0.9bar in the lower gears and 1.0bar in the higher gears. They are unpredictable and unreliable for holding accurate boost. The best method is to open out the restrictor ring till you see 1.1bar in the higher gears and then use a boost controller to raise you up to the 1.2bar.

If you opened up the restrictor ring so that you were seeing a true 1.2bar in the higher gears, you wouldn't see 1.2bar in the lower gears. The same goes vice versa, if you opened it up to 1.2 in the lower gears you would see more than that in the higher gears creating spikes. That's before taking account of intake temperature changes etc.

Good thread. Almost as off topic as when I asked what was needed to go BPU!

As has been stated plenty of times in here, get Paul (if you go to Whifbitz) to check what it has first before you buy things and potentially waste money :)

Aha, so you don't NEED one, it's just nice to maintain the same boost level in all conditions.

If something could potentially damage your engine, I would consider that more than just "nice" to be able to control it.

Aha, so you don't NEED one, it's just nice to maintain the same boost level in all conditions.

Without one you would have no way of stopping it overboosting, whereas if its restricted to say 1 bar with a RR and you use the BC to turn it up you have control, you also set the gain so you can decide how the boost comes in.

As said, I guess it depends on how reliable you want your car to be and whether you are happy to run the risk of blowing your turbos. You also don't NEED to stick to 1.2 bar, you can go for 1.8 on the stock setup if you fancy it. The turbos will break though so it's entirely in your court and what you determine as necessity.

For me a boost controller is a necessity, it's my opinion and I comment based on my opinion. Should the op wish to run without then that's up to them, it'll make no odds to me.

Alright tetchy M.

I got the impression this was becoming a 'define BPU' thread, and I would define it as full decat. What you add to the full decat is up to you, restricting boost is important and the ring is the major point (on j-specs), you've also got colder plugs which are pretty important, uprated fuel pump if required, new intercooler depending on wear, you can add gauges for boost pressure/EGTs/oil etc if you like, the FCD and speed limiter removal are a good idea. All of these things help reduce risk or make it run better in varying amounts, so all are important in their own way, some might say you have to upgrade your brakes for BPU, and then you've got cams and manifolds and injectors and hybrids on top. I can see how it can all become very confusing for n00bs.

I've got no idea where I'm going with this point now. :D

Alright tetchy M.

I got the impression this was becoming a 'define BPU' thread, and I would define it as full decat. What you add to the full decat is up to you, restricting boost is important and the ring is the major point (on j-specs), you've also got colder plugs which are pretty important, uprated fuel pump if required, new intercooler depending on wear, you can add gauges for boost pressure/EGTs/oil etc if you like, the FCD and speed limiter removal are a good idea. All of these things help reduce risk or make it run better in varying amounts, so all are important in their own way, some might say you have to upgrade your brakes for BPU, and then you've got cams and manifolds and injectors and hybrids on top. I can see how it can all become very confusing for n00bs.

I've got no idea where I'm going with this point now. :D

I know what you are saying but I don't think that's good advice to tell someone who has no idea what they are doing. The double decat isn't even necessary to get BPU power figures etc, not sure how long the back end of your turbos would last without them though.

If the end goal is 400hp then all you really NEED is a manual boost controller, £15. Nothing else is required to hit that figure.

Hitting that figure and hitting it safely and reliably is where I would define what is necessary.