Larger/extended sump pan.

hodge

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't do the extended sump, I would leave the stock and aftermarket oil coolers on and fit an accusump. I can supply these if needed and will be putting a kit together.

It's strange your getting such high temps John, not had that problem on any cars so far. Sounds like there is an issue somewhere. They don't run that hot with no oil cooler under normal conditions. When do you see these temps? What's it like with different driving conditions?

I'd have to pull the logs off the Syvecs lee, as I've never drive the car since the end of October but from memory on a hot day my oil temps on the dash2 (direct from the Syvecs) is around 119 degrees and rises to I think 125 degrees (ish) when I'm driving it hard.

I am starting to think these high temps are going hand in hand with my high rising coolant temps on boost. I'm taking the head off the car in the next few weeks to put those duel valve springs in so whilst it's off I'll get the head Dye pen'd at work for cracks and stick it on the CMM to make sure it's mating face with the block is flat and then go from there.

It's going be an interesting one for sure bud.

Hodge you sure you dont have a air lock in your water system increase in water temps will effect oil temps, its a knock on effect !!

Nope there's definately no air lock Wayne, it's been bled off for hours with my magical Internet funnel.

More investigation required I think.

I dont like the idea of getting more oil in the sump, id rather have it eslswhere. Big filter,cooler etc. The bigger pan you have its more likely to come in contact with the crank when turning, hard Breaking etc. And you would get more oilfog. And foaming the oil so Air bubbles in the engine bearings etc.

There is a sulution But its not cheap. Dry sump lubrication. But then you need to place a big tank somewhere.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.797826,12.008637

Edited by Hellstrom (see edit history)

I'm taking the head off the car in the next few weeks to put those duel valve springs in so whilst it's off I'll get the head Dye pen'd at work for cracks and stick it on the CMM to make sure it's mating face with the block is flat and then go from there.

Dont forget to check the flatness off block aswell.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=57.738133,11.995799

I'd have to pull the logs off the Syvecs lee, as I've never drive the car since the end of October but from memory on a hot day my oil temps on the dash2 (direct from the Syvecs) is around 119 degrees and rises to I think 125 degrees (ish) when I'm driving it hard.

I am starting to think these high temps are going hand in hand with my high rising coolant temps on boost. I'm taking the head off the car in the next few weeks to put those duel valve springs in so whilst it's off I'll get the head Dye pen'd at work for cracks and stick it on the CMM to make sure it's mating face with the block is flat and then go from there.

What size cooler are you running? Water temps will go up if the oil is getting to hot as well.

Are you sure the oil temp sensor has been configured properly on the dash?

I personally don't see how an extended sump is going to negate the need for an oil cooler. We use them on RB26 engines all the time and it doesn't have that effect. Main reason they are used on them is to stop oil starvation under load.

The only problem i can see is ground clearance as the sump will, i guess sit lower than the subframe which will increase the likelyhood of damage over road humps

Yes thats the first though i had, std sump sits low enough, too much risk of damage IMO, i would be happier with a cooler, i fitted one once i started seeing my oil temps going to 117c on medium boost period, but mine was oil cooled so i would imagine that a water cooled turbo will likely not see oil temps so high.

+1

BPU Supra is recommended on 10w-40. I just bought the Fuchs Titan Race from the oilman.:)

Sorry, I was running 5w30 with these temps and have just ordered 5w40 on the recommendation of opie oils under their upgrade oil. I'm not up on oils at all so don't really know whats right.

Regular Driving - BPU or Less

5w40 - Silkolene Pro S, Castrol RS, Motul 300V Power

^^this is from the oil guide on here. Is it wrong to use a 5w oil? I thought that this was just relevant to cold oil. Possibly wrong though.

I am a little concerned with my oil temps thats why I've changed to the 5w40

Finally I can see the pics at home. It'll extend the life of the oil and extend the time it takes to heat up simply because of the extra mass. In theory it might help with oil surge because the pickup has been extended too BUT as mentioned above the increased mass of oil might tend to slop around more. You would have to do proper surge testing using a good pressure sensor with a fast response time, but it wont necessarily mean you can do away with the oil cooler - just drive it harder for longer before the oil gets to maximum temperature.