Graham1984

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Gibbo-Supra27

I'm awaiting an appointment for an ACL reconstruction using the one of the Hamstring Tendons....anybody had this same procedure, what ive read it seems a pretty fast recovery time and the Physio has told me as long as i stick to my gym routine and heal well then i should be back to non contact Karate at about 4 months :)

Hope you are healing well though Graham

I had a Acl recon using the hamstring. Make sure you take the recovery slow/seriously. Even after a few months off work I had one incident and had to have my cartilage and meniscus repaired again 4 weeks ago this Thursday.

I'm supposed to be off for a few more weeks but due to £££ might have to go back sooner. Thanks to employment and support allowance, they've given me the grand total of £92 so far to cover nearly a month unpaid..... thanks.

Had an ACL reconstruction in late Nov 14. Unfortunately for me I had a meniscus trim and worst of all Microfrature treatment. If you just get the recon ligament (as I was originally only going to have) then I think the Physio is right. The thing is once inside if they see what they saw in my knee in yours then they will almost certainly perform the same microfracture procedure. If they do you'll be off that leg ie Zero nil nada weight bearing for 6 weeks which it a massive pain if you are not (as I wasn't) expecting or prepared for it.

You'll probably not need the additional work, but it 'may' happen and like me it'll come as a complete surprise!

If it's just the recon ligament then I think after the painful few weeks (I had a couple of days of excruciating shin pain - apparently blood leaking down) it's then down to regaining your full range of motion and then once the swelling settles down after month or two it can sometimes be hard to stop a patient from doing too much as it feels so good.

I'm convinced that if i'd just had the ligament done that I'd be feeling great, I self test for the pivot shift (have you done this or the Lachman test to yourself?) and it's barely noticeable compare to pre op, it feels good and tight. I have still some recovery to do from the microfracture and my only pain now is around that.

Just finished 4 weeks of one hour physio/gym sessions at the hospital with my first treadmill jog last Friday. Please bare in mind that in January I was still learning to walk again after so long hopping everywhere, again if you avoid the microfracture you should be mobile much earlier.

I have a sign off with the consultant in late August (pretty much 9 months post op) and instruction to not play any football of other cutting sports until at least that time.

It's hard isn't it Scooter. I was expecting to have to do it all again, but relieved I won't have to. I've been so bored but have dedicated myself to the gym and dieting the last few weeks to keep me sane. Luckily I only was off my feet for a couple of weeks this time.

The nightmare of having it done will always be there, especially the nightmare of literally doing nothing for 6 weeks. It's not the surgery that bothered me, it was the physio/recovery and I thought what you said summed it up well; especially the part about when you start to 'feel' better... mainly because you don't realise how on a knife edge you are to cocking it up again.

Indeed it becomes a psychological battle, it's a cliche' but you don't know what you got til its gone!

it can be a two steps forward one step back situation, I think looking back every month I've improved but in all those months I had times of doubt and regression/increase of pain/fear it had failed.

5 months post op and the last day or so has been a bit backward, pain in the knee when it's fully locked, but walking stairs etc all ok. It'll probably be better in a few days but it's definitely one of the backward step times.

As Graham said the surgery is a cake walk, despite being the thing everyone (naturally) is concerned about initially.

I'm lucky in that I'm now able to get back into working on the car(s) and other small stuff plus it was through the winter when it didn't feel like I was missing much! I'm still hopeful of a pretty much full recovery, whilst I don't want to I could put up with it as is...

It's small things like coming to terms with not doing stuff you previously took for granted, it's natural to feel a bit sorry for yourself and the reality that many many others are far worse off doesn't help that much.

My gym sessions were good as there were others in the group who'd had various knee ops and we could talk about it and it was good mentally as well as physically. It's odd how much of a boost you can get from doing some Star jumps and having a good moan!

Lol I'm hoping to do some work possibly next week. I might do a day just to see how I get on and go from there. I'll happily just keep going to the gym until I'm ready to go back if I'm not ready yet.

Just take it easy and let it heal, don't rush it although I imagine ur bored stiff!

In a few months time it will seem worth it when the pain has gone! [emoji1]

Just take it easy and let it heal, don't rush it although I imagine ur bored stiff!

In a few months time it will seem worth it when the pain has gone! [emoji1]

The problem is £££ again. It's easy to think that staying home is the answer, but tomorrow is a month unpaid and only just over £90 in benefits (£92 iirc) it's not like the bills stop.

The problem is £££ again. It's easy to think that staying home is the answer, but tomorrow is a month unpaid and only just over £90 in benefits (£92 iirc) it's not like the bills stop.

Dam £92 is a joke! [emoji20]

I can see why you want to get back to work.

Dam £92 is a joke! [emoji20]

I can see why you want to get back to work.

It was due to this coming that I sold you my car. It's great though they take your tax money and want to charge you this and that- ask them for help and get nothing.

I was unable to walk and they were wanting to know why I was trying to sign up again (was on esa a few years ago when I had my Acl done) and was told I was judged too healthy three years ago so why sign up again. Had to explain it was a new surgery and was asked about going on a work placement group.

It was due to this coming that I sold you my car. It's great though they take your tax money and want to charge you this and that- ask them for help and get nothing.

I was unable to walk and they were wanting to know why I was trying to sign up again (was on esa a few years ago when I had my Acl done) and was told I was judged too healthy three years ago so why sign up again. Had to explain it was a new surgery and was asked about going on a work placement group.

Yeh your right, there more then happy to take it but then reluctant to hand it back!

Even with genuine reasons!

I feel for you. It sickens me that they wont help you more and your a genuine person in need of finacial help and medical ( not.mental :D ) and they wont provide or they question it :(

All the best if you go back to work hopefully you can take it easy and not do things on your knees ;) or effect the progress you have made so far.

All the best Graham.