The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting the supra, Dixon's supra Project

safcdixon

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt advice painting the seats but for dash panels they wont need as many coats of primer ( dust the first coat, then a decent coat) just take your time, there is a thread on painting dash panels i think :search:

I think he means he is stripping out the interior and painting the inside of the shell.

• 2 weeks later...

well im starting to make a little progress now striped the supra over the weekend and started sanding back yesterday after a good bit of hard graft and some 180 grit, this is the stage im at, image image image image ive actually found i dont need to do the front of the interior, as the cowboys that sprayed the car a few year ago, didnt paint the inside under the carpets so its still white Bonus! ive pulled everything out anyway too dye the carpet.

yeah blacks the colour i want to stay away from tbh, as already said imperfections show up massively in black paint, im leaning towards White, but dont want it too be too plain, but im hoping that with the white, i can add sum carbon (like a splitter and maybe a carbon trd spoiler) and change the wheel colour too black then it will still stand out but not be as brash or as boy racery as the green, im still open too ideas though so they are defintley welcome

you could always paint the car in white and dust a pearl over the whole lot, like blue pearl- looks the nu
mmmmmm sounds nice, how much are we talking for the extra pearl paint? would i be right in saying it wouldnt take much to dust over with the pearl

heres somemore pics of my progress over the weekend this is how the car stands after a full going over of 320grit starting to feel smooth now, but im a bit stuck do i know go down too just say an 800grit paper or something a bit harder than that?imageimageimagehttp://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/safcdixon/toyot%20supra%20tt%20jspec/ffca91a0.jpgbtw ignore the spoiler its back on because i dont want it too get damaged.

Edited by safcdixon
pictures moved on photobucket (see edit history)

Wish you luck....seems a very big job.............my car is silver sparkle flake...which i love.........candy apple red is a nice colour, white interior......or ivory pearl or white pearl.......................have you considered lime green....lol (just kidding )

not alot as your just dusting it over the top, you would get flashes of colour as you walk around the car, done lots of repaints like this.
sounds good would defintley be an option for me, this would add the bit of uniqueness im looking for. :thumbs:

I'm been a gunmetal grey fan for a while now, but have been thinking of a midnight blue. I'm also wondering about a bit more of an elaborate design...but will worry about this in the future. There must be lost of pictures of cars on the web to give you ideas.

Best of luck with your project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just thought id update this to maybe help poeple not make the same mistakes i did, I have no pics of the work such as Sanding, polishing, cleaning excess paint off (rear window rubbers still have some on them tbh)and putting interior back in, tbh i made some epic mistakes! Mainly prepping the masking which unfortunatley blew off when putting the primer coat on, which caused lots of headaches,(mainly caused by all the thinners i had too use too get in off) and now some second hand parts, So if anybody reading this is thinking about painting their car themselves, buy some proper bodyshop masking tape, proper masking sheeting and lots of rubber gloves, you'd be amazed by how many finger prints get on the car which can make the paint react and just cause your hardwork to be undone.The paint job in total cost me about £350 but thats including a few parts that i left in the garage, stupidly thinking theyd be ok and were not, so all in all a pretty small outlay for something IMO makes the car look a lot better. more updates to come,Before image After image