The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wish me luck!! I'm off in at the deep end!

marc_p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Little bit of advice!! Tippex! And remember to place things in order on as you need to put everything back in the exact same spot they came from..

Good luck dude, once your done you'll be ready to tackle anything!

Yeah, that's what worries me most, not putting something back where it's supposed to be, at the moment everything is in order but it's the actual internals that worry me, ahh well, I'll jus take it slow and as you say, tippex marks on the important bits

Good luck mate, hope it all goes well for you :) Not sure booze and spannering is a good mix :D

Cheers, not planning on getting wasted here though, more like easing frustration:d, so far so good though, I only had one of the bottles tonight as everything I did tonight was fairly straight forward apart from the ic pipe hindering me a little with the rad and trying to catch all the damn coolant.

Yeah, that's what worries me most, not putting something back where it's supposed to be, at the moment everything is in order but it's the actual internals that worry me, ahh well, I'll jus take it slow and as you say, tippex marks on the important bits.

If your re-using the timing belt, tippex an arrow or something in the direction of rotation so it goes back on the same way and mark all the pulleys as well as the belt, that way you can put it back together in exactly the same position as you take it off. Just for your own peace of mind. :thumbs:

If your re-using the timing belt, tippex an arrow or something in the direction of rotation so it goes back on the same way and mark all the pulleys as well as the belt, that way you can put it back together in exactly the same position as you take it off. Just for your own peace of mind. :thumbs:

Yeah, it's already had the cambelt done so it already has markings on the pulleys, just the belt I need to mark up.

If you need a hand with it Marc, give me a shout. I'm no mechanic, but I can make a mean cuppa and am reasonably competent with a spanner :D

Cheers fella :thumbs: I may give you a shout when my valve stem seals turn up, just getting it ready to do them at the moment, appreciate it :)

Haha, don't listen to these wind up merchants! :D

Just follow the guide and you'll be fine!

Any problems feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers and thanks for doing the guide, it really is good and thorough :thumbs:

drinking while doing a job you have never done before, very brave man. hope it all goes well as i think i need to do mine to soon so would be good to see how drunk you get and how well it goes :D

If I can do it, anyone can, I've been working on cars for years but never really done engine work before. I am adament to do as much work on this car myself as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Fine mate, it's all apart now, just waiting for my valve stem seals to arrive so I can start putting it all back together, really not that daunting once your in there TBH.

However I do have one question if anyone can answer it, is it a 32mm spanner needed for the hex part in the middle of the cams? I had to use an adjustable spanner to take it apart, but I'd rather get a proper one to put it back together.

mine need doing soon its on my list of things to do but i think i will be getting someone else to do mine , don't really fancy giving it ago myself, good luck matey

Trust me, it's so simple with the guide provided, if I can do it, anyone can (however, it's not back together yet so you may want to wait a little bit to make sure it starts when I put it back together :D)

One thing so far though, is that I would recommend removing the fan/radiatoras it makes life a little easier(and gives you chance to get a shiny new rad :) )

Nice one dude, I am getting adventurous with the spanner on my Sup too, i figure if i mess it up i can give it to John at AFR to fix, half the fun of owning a car is maintaining/upgrading/fixing it in my opinion

Exactly, I used to let garages do the work on my car but I really want to make this one my own, you end up appreciating the car so much more :)

Exactly, I used to let garages do the work on my car but I really want to make this one my own, you end up appreciating the car so much more :)

Your spot on there, i love knowing what goes on underneath the bonnet and behind the dash, it makes it all more fun somehow. Good luck dude, take loads of pics

trust me you can think you give it to a trusted garage and they do a half job, its not there car they dont care as much, i do all the work my self now !! its the only way you know how good the job was done , and with the many helpfull people in the club and threads and guides its just the time and tools that you need,im gettting more and more helpfull tools for the jobs its great job satisfaction when it starts up and moves again.

• 2 weeks later...
have you finished this yet or still waiting for parts

Recieved all my parts yesterday, so last night I got cracking and got the cams out, tonight I will be on the valve stem seals, will be taking my time very slowly with these so expect to only do a couple tonight and finish them over the weekend.