The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wish me luck!! I'm off in at the deep end!

marc_p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to check the valve lash whilst in there?

To all those here with doubts about doing this DIY I can understand where you are coming from - there is quite a mental barrier in the way of doing some open heart surgery on the engine. Before doing mine the most mechanical experience I had was changing discs and pads, oil etc. but I pride myself in having a decent amount of common sense. I managed to get though it ok so I imagine that many others, more mechanically adept with some common sense of their own can do the same. Just be clean and careful not to ding anything.

It does take some stomach though so fair play for taking the plunge! Will all be worth it when it fires up after doing the work yourself - smoke free and all! :thumbs:

Lay a rag in the valley just incase something trys to fall down a plug hole;) TBH I will not change stem seals this way anymore as I have not seen a car with stem seals gone that did not need some or all valves re lapping, the time difference in removing the head and doing it this way is not so great. Make sure you have a small torque wrench that goes down to 14ft lbs for the cams. There is no reason for any job to be out of reach to a reasonably mechanically minded person but some people have no idea they try and map cars themselves with no idea or diagnostic equipment, I have seen some horrendously repaired accident damaged supras that the customer actually believe are safe when in reality they are as bent as a banana, ive even seen some people claim to have fitted new oil pumps when the 1) the pump clearly has not been off and 2) then told 'oh we fitted a secondhand pump !!!!. If you are in ANY doubt if something feels or has gone back right then just try and get someone to have a listen, don't chance it. But if you lose a collet you need to make sure it is not down a plug hole or under a spring etc, if it is in the head somewhere it will eventually cause a lot of damage. If you struggle I have a very easy to use tool for compressing the valves to get the collets back in as I just cannot get on with the snap on hit it with a hammer one. My tool works like a normal valve spring compressor but instead of holding the valve it uses leverage from a rod mounted on the head and an angled crank with valve compressor, a courier would be cheap if you need to borrow it.

There is no reason for any job to be out of reach to a reasonably mechanically minded person but some people have no idea they try and map cars themselves with no idea or diagnostic equipment, I have seen some horrendously repaired accident damaged supras that the customer actually believe are safe when in reality they are as bent as a banana, ive even seen some people claim to have fitted new oil pumps when the 1) the pump clearly has not been off and 2) then told 'oh we fitted a secondhand pump !!!!..

i see you talking about me lol

Yes it is amazing what some places think they can get away with, thats why i went to better garage but had similar problems and was told lies !

mapping with no diagnostic equipment thats true but only on the off throttle problem in closed loop that the garrage could not fix,so matters into own hands and what do you know i have done it with no diagnostic tools just abit of research and tweaking with the fuel trim so that the 2 ecus was not fighting each other in closed loop.

Just so everone knows the fic can be used as a fcd

and if left in the fcd conflicts with the fic this maybe down to 3 units trying to minipulate 1 singal that can cause det as the stock ecu with think there is alot less boost then there is

So Sorry for that

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

Lay a rag in the valley just incase something trys to fall down a plug hole;) TBH I will not change stem seals this way anymore as I have not seen a car with stem seals gone that did not need some or all valves re lapping, the time difference in removing the head and doing it this way is not so great. Make sure you have a small torque wrench that goes down to 14ft lbs for the cams. There is no reason for any job to be out of reach to a reasonably mechanically minded person but some people have no idea they try and map cars themselves with no idea or diagnostic equipment, I have seen some horrendously repaired accident damaged supras that the customer actually believe are safe when in reality they are as bent as a banana, ive even seen some people claim to have fitted new oil pumps when the 1) the pump clearly has not been off and 2) then told 'oh we fitted a secondhand pump !!!!. If you are in ANY doubt if something feels or has gone back right then just try and get someone to have a listen, don't chance it. But if you lose a collet you need to make sure it is not down a plug hole or under a spring etc, if it is in the head somewhere it will eventually cause a lot of damage. If you struggle I have a very easy to use tool for compressing the valves to get the collets back in as I just cannot get on with the snap on hit it with a hammer one. My tool works like a normal valve spring compressor but instead of holding the valve it uses leverage from a rod mounted on the head and an angled crank with valve compressor, a courier would be cheap if you need to borrow it.

Cheers dude:thumbs:

Last night I tried to use the tool I have for removing collets, but for want of a better word, it was a piece of poop so I ordered the Snap-On one last night and I'll see how I get on with that, thanks for the offer though Dude, I'll see if I can get the Snap on one to work first and let you know :)

I managed to do this with the snap-on tool but if doing it again I'd definitely take up John's offer and use that tool as the risk of damaging the head is too high with the snap-on tool. I was paranoid throughout the entire job and covered nearly every inch of the tool with insulating tape to lower the risk, but only a little.

Block every orifice in the head to stop bits falling in anywhere, keep a magnetic tool handy and make sure you have a lot of patience and rush nothing! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Any joy

Got my tool on friday so got about 5 out of 24 done, getting then out is easy, it's getting the valve retainers back in that's a pain in the arse.

You don't need to hit the tool with a hammer to get them out though, I was nervous about doing that in case I slipped, so I decide just to try and do it by just pushing it and they came out fairly easy(about 3 or 4 pumps).

so how hard of a job is it would you say?

As long as you take your time it's fine, I'm not rushing it and just following the guide, trust me when I say, if I can do it, anyone can.

Valve retainers are getting easier now, managed to do 5 valves in an hour tonight, so will stick to 5 a night then I can reassemble the car over the weekend.

I really would recommend removing the rad though, it's an easy job and makes it a lot easier when removing the parts.

As long as you take your time it's fine, I'm not rushing it and just following the guide, trust me when I say, if I can do it, anyone can.

Valve retainers are getting easier now, managed to do 5 valves in an hour tonight, so will stick to 5 a night then I can reassemble the car over the weekend.

I really would recommend removing the rad though, it's an easy job and makes it a lot easier when removing the parts.

If you had used my tool it takes about 1 min to get each set of collets back in and about 10 secs to get em out with no risk to the head, thats after you have it bolted down etc.

My tool is special too, fine screwdriver with a dab of grease on the end to hold the collet.

You ALWAYS need the fine screwdriver with grease, I know of no other way to get the collets back in the groove on the valve.

• 3 weeks later...
good one marc so how many beers did you have while doing it lol.

i think i need mine doing very soon as i have masses of black smoke on first start up and first drive off of the day

Not many suprisingly:d, it's all about just taking your time and being methodical, I do recommend removing the radiator though, makes the job 10x easier for removing items like the cambelt tensioner, also I wouldn't hit the collet remover with the hammer, there is too much risk of hitting the head in my opinion, just give it some nice firm pumping action by hand (2-3 pumps and they come out), other than that, I followed T-Licences guide word for word and found it perfect, everything is covered.