The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Japefest Police on M4

Tyson

if you all think you were speeding going past a speed gun dont assume you are ok

they have 14 days to send you a NIP notice of intended prosecution

if you dont get anything 14 days after, you should be ok

Not true, speed gun traps are instant pull only. They have no recording equipment to hold up as a second form of evidence so they must pull you over just after the speed trap.

The 14 day rule applies to the camera vans, recording cars, speed cameras etc.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true, speed gun traps are instant pull only. They have no recording equipment to hold up as a second form of evidence so they must pull you over just after the speed trap.

The 14 day rule applies to the camera vans, recording cars, speed cameras etc.

Not true mate

I went to see a mate yesterday who is quite high up in the police force (always handy) ....i was under the same thought only vans and cameras can send a ticket, but he said the ones on the side of the road in cars can also which has sh!t me right up :(

Can you imagine them trying to get in their car and chase 15 odd cars all flying past...would never happen.

Its an anxious 14 day wait for me now :(

Not true mate

I went to see a mate yesterday who is quite high up in the police force (always handy) ....i was under the same thought only vans and cameras can send a ticket, but he said the ones on the side of the road in cars can also which has sh!t me right up :(

Can you imagine them trying to get in their car and chase 15 odd cars all flying past...would never happen.

It can't happen bud. They must have 2 forms of evidence to do you in court. The speed gun does not take any picture of video of the incident. Issuing you with a ticket by the side of the road is the only way to do you.

Either your mate is winding you up or he just doesn't know. My bro in law is in the police, already sat his exams etc to get into the traffic. He confirmed my understanding.

It can't happen bud. They must have 2 forms of evidence to do you in court. The speed gun does not take any picture of video of the incident. Issuing you with a ticket by the side of the road is the only way to do you.

Either your mate is winding you up or he just doesn't know. My bro in law is in the police, already sat his exams etc to get into the traffic. He confirmed my understanding.

Fair enough mate - i hope you're "police friend" is right and mine is wrong!!

The one im most worried about was a copper stood next to his car pointing the gun at all the traffic.....i am gearing myself up for an anxious 2 week wait with the post, but if u say its not possible....i think i'll still be a bit worried lol :D

I think I'm right in saying that the speed guns are no good (i.e. they can't tet an accurate reading) if there are other cars between it and you. So for instance if you were in the fast lane of a motorway and as the police were trying to 'zap' you there were cars in the other two lanes, the laser or whatever it is wouldn't be able to differentiate between all the speeds it was getting fed. I think that all makes sense...

I wouldn't want to stake my reputation (whatever that may be!) on any of this, but I read it somewhere a while back. It may help, anyway...

Hope no one was caught out - it's a real pain... 70mph limit = Madness!

Not true mate

As far as my understanding of traffic law is (not as limited as you might think) you will receive a standard NIP (Notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days of any offence captured by either: A local police force camera van/car, a local camera partnership van/car or a DVLA camera van/car.

A police officer with a speed gun has the following options with regard to speeding offences: To persue and stop you at the side of the road. To radio ahead and have another officer stop you, however the first officer must attend to issue a fixed penalty or arrest you in extreme cases. They may only prosecute you by post if there are a minimum of two officers present to witness the speed recorded on the gun. In this situation you will receive a letter pp'd from the Chief Constable and signed by the observing officer asking you to attend you local police station with your documents.

There is no time period on these types of letters, however they are normally part of the officers paperwork so you will normally have them within 7 days of the offence. They can also use this form of notification for other traffic offenses, e.g. On the phone, dangerous driving and now as of the start of this month, discourtious driving, which includes undertaking, driving too slowly, blocking junctions and hatched boxes etc...

The key point is, if they are using a gun then they must stop you at the side of the road or have more than one officer witness the offence. I'd say your not out of the woods for about 7 days unless you are sure there was only one copper there.

There is no time period on these types of letters, however they are normally part of the officers paperwork so you will normally have them within 7 days of the offence. They can also use this form of notification for other traffic offenses, e.g. On the phone, dangerous driving and now as of the start of this month, discourtious driving, which includes undertaking, driving too slowly, blocking junctions and hatched boxes etc...

I can verify this, i got one in the company lorry and it took 4 months to come through!!!!!! Something to do with our company hiring it from another company who hired it from the owners, took a while to finally get back to the driver. Still did though:(

Dare say it would be quicker to come through with a straight forward car owner/driver

On the phone, dangerous driving and now as of the start of this month, discourtious driving, which includes undertaking, driving too slowly, blocking junctions and hatched boxes etc...

What about if I sneeze, pick my nose or scratch my balls?

...as of the start of this month, discourtious driving, which includes undertaking, driving too slowly, blocking junctions and hatched boxes etc...

What about if I sneeze, pick my nose or scratch my balls?

Nanny state or what...?

Depends at which point you mean..... i think i edged over 70 for a few seconds because some ARRSEHOLE in a green supra was up my Mo 'arris!!

ARRSEHOLE is a bit harsh.

if you had a faster car said driver wouldn't of been up your mo 'arris:p

i was keeping up with the follow of traffic at the time of said incident your honour:innocent:

Edited by baldy (see edit history)

As far as my understanding of traffic law is (not as limited as you might think) you will receive a standard NIP (Notice of intended prosecution) within 14 days of any offence captured by either: A local police force camera van/car, a local camera partnership van/car or a DVLA camera van/car.

A police officer with a speed gun has the following options with regard to speeding offences: To persue and stop you at the side of the road. To radio ahead and have another officer stop you, however the first officer must attend to issue a fixed penalty or arrest you in extreme cases. They may only prosecute you by post if there are a minimum of two officers present to witness the speed recorded on the gun. In this situation you will receive a letter pp'd from the Chief Constable and signed by the observing officer asking you to attend you local police station with your documents.

The key point is, if they are using a gun then they must stop you at the side of the road or have more than one officer witness the offence. I'd say your not out of the woods for about 7 days unless you are sure there was only one copper there.

I know there was one copper holding the gun and another in the car .... :search:

I'm so glad the SW contingency stayed below 70 all the way. especially past that 'traffic officer' on the m5. I assume it would have been bad to have gone past him at more than that........

what was wile e thinking! he may have doomed us all :D