The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suffolk owners beware

supra steveo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been having a read the last 20 mins on this, seems that this test is actually legal and inline with legal requirements. There's some very detailed threads on Pistonheads which show both European and UK law, including MOT criteria. In a short summary of the various threads, it seems that any type approved car must be within 2db of it's stock rate on the type approval sheet.

So, bascially anyone with a exhaust other than stock is illegal. On the exhaust DB register, even the extremely quiet NUR RX is above this limit.

So if it comes with a std exhaust of 96db as stock its fine! so can you fit another exhaust that is just as loud, even though not stock?

So how can they deal with the imports that have no type approval or figures for?

So how can they deal with the imports that have no type approval or figures for?

Good point

Also another point, if its illegak to modify an exhaust does that mean powerflow, janspeed and the like and including halfords that make sell and change exhausts operating illegally and selling illegal products?

As they dont advertise for off road use only and let you drive away after having them fitted

Good point

Also another point, if its illegak to modify an exhaust does that mean powerflow, janspeed and the like and including halfords that make sell and change exhausts operating illegally and selling illegal products?

As they dont advertise for off road use only and let you drive away after having them fitted

Good point :thumbs:

The EU are even having a directive on tyre noise, coming into force in the not too distant future. Performance tyres almost invariably make more noise than "normal" tyres, the only thing holding them back is the low rolling friction "Green's" tyres are also noisy :) Vote to get the hell out of Brussels if you want freedom to modify your cars. DOT legal track day tyres have only a short time left before getting the chop, too. I must say though that some exhausts are needlessly, not to say deliberately anti social. There's no reason for some cars to make such a racket, IMHO.

"There are two regulations being introduced by the EU:

Regulation EC No 1222/2009

• Labeling of key information on tyre performance

Regulation EC No 661/2009

• Type approval, General Safety of Motor Vehicles

The first is best described as white goods labelling as used on fridges etc.

The categories it covers are Wet Grip, Rolling Resistance and Noise. Tyres will be ranked A, B, C, D, E and G for wet grip and rolling resistance and by the number of decibels for noise, this is then shown on a label on the tyre and/or at point of sale. This comes in to effect 1st November 2012.

The second covers the next stage of noise level requirement, from what is currently in place, and the introduction of new wet grip and rolling resistance requirements.

All tyres have to meet these new regulations as follows:

Noise: Tyres produced after 1st November 2016

Wet Grip: Tyres produced after 1st November 2014

Rolling Resistance (Stage 1): Tyres produced after 1st November 2014

Rolling Resistance (Stage 2): Tyres produced after 1st November 2018

There is a provision for a sell-off period of non-compliant stock produced before the dates listed above, this currently stands at 30 months.

To put this in simple terms the R888 in its present form, can be sold/supplied after the 1st November 2014, but only up to 30 months after its production date, as long as it was manufacturered prior to the 1st November 2014."

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

The EU are even having a directive on tyre noise, coming into force in the not too distant future. Performance tyres almost invariably make more noise than "normal" tyres, the only thing holding them back is the low rolling friction "Green's" tyres are also noisy :) Vote to get the hell out of Brussels if you want freedom to modify your cars. DOT legal track day tyres have only a short time left before getting the chop, too. I must say though that some exhausts are needlessly, not to say deliberately anti social. There's no reason for some cars to make such a racket, IMHO.

"There are two regulations being introduced by the EU:

Regulation EC No 1222/2009

• Labeling of key information on tyre performance

Regulation EC No 661/2009

• Type approval, General Safety of Motor Vehicles

The first is best described as white goods labelling as used on fridges etc.

The categories it covers are Wet Grip, Rolling Resistance and Noise. Tyres will be ranked A, B, C, D, E and G for wet grip and rolling resistance and by the number of decibels for noise, this is then shown on a label on the tyre and/or at point of sale. This comes in to effect 1st November 2012.

The second covers the next stage of noise level requirement, from what is currently in place, and the introduction of new wet grip and rolling resistance requirements.

All tyres have to meet these new regulations as follows:

Noise: Tyres produced after 1st November 2016

Wet Grip: Tyres produced after 1st November 2014

Rolling Resistance (Stage 1): Tyres produced after 1st November 2014

Rolling Resistance (Stage 2): Tyres produced after 1st November 2018

There is a provision for a sell-off period of non-compliant stock produced before the dates listed above, this currently stands at 30 months.

To put this in simple terms the R888 in its present form, can be sold/supplied after the 1st November 2014, but only up to 30 months after its production date, as long as it was manufacturered prior to the 1st November 2014."

It's just all getting completely rediculous to be honest.

Can't wait to move out of this country and Europe, my main hobby is my cars and with so many restrictions, I can't actually do much to them any more.

p.s. Good job there getting rid of sticky tires, that should make my car much more stable under hard acceleration :rolleyes:

If you were cruising at 70 the police in question obviosly singled you out to test his new toy. no laws or regulations can change the mindsets of these type of police he just wanted to get you and would have found a way.

IMO 30 is a light let off no points etc despite the principle is it really worth 30 to waste your own time in court?

England is very lenient for a western country in terms of car modification we have it extreamly lucky here we can use our cars on the road in almost any state of tune that is a FACT look up the rules in other euro countries, america etc and you will be horified

I see it as in the uk our cars are cheap (no where in the world do you have the choice of performance cars this cheap) theres lots of second hand parts and the laws are LAX, they get you back by tax youve just been taxed!

I say just leave that small minded idiot by the side of the road dont let him waste anymore of your time or thaught, dont change your car for him and let it go . . .

Many cars are needlesly loud (including my own) id rather express my freedom to drive what i want and just pay the fine than be forced to change it

(and the freedom to not pay the fine i might add . . . but as im sure others will suport iv been there its a waste of time for £30)

Just my 2p. . . . . i get stopped a lot and every time it makes me think il never give up what i love no matter what and least off all cos of some uniform . . . . .

Id rather pay because the fact you can pay undermines the offence in the first place, ie youve broken the rules but its ok if u just pay . . .????? er ok then! (id have more respect for them if they did make u change it (not that i want them to))

Oh and the rules for high end exotics are totally biased . . . . but what would you expect?

The test at 4k is unreasonable as most cars would be breaking the speed limit at 4k anyway and its by no means a cruising average or reasonable mean figure

Edited by H7ERO (see edit history)

i know but when i had my last car over in germany i had a german guy test the car the exhaust was a concern of his and he said it passed, so i was a little stunned when it failed

animal i will pay you in a day or 2 (need a payday :) ) btw does any of the back pressure harm the engine ?

i know but when i had my last car over in germany i had a german guy test the car the exhaust was a concern of his and he said it passed, so i was a little stunned when it failed

animal i will pay you in a day or 2 (need a payday :) ) btw does any of the back pressure harm the engine ?

Someone neeed to confirm this, but I think if you are NA then it is fine.

Though if you have turbo's you need to be wary of back pressure\adjustments to exhaust systems.

No worries mate, I'm working away and won't be able to post until Friday afternoon. If you could do a bank transfer, that is the easiest for me, let me know and I'll pm you my details.

I don't think it would cause any harm, it would be no worse than having a restrictive silencer fitted, and you could leave it open most of the time, just close it (fully or slightly) when you need to be quiet.

Did he check under the car? Have you gone de-cat otherwise he cud of given a ticket for that. Im not saying he sud of in the first place for a loud exhaust but he could have PG9'd ur car meaning you would then have to have it re-tested meaning higher cost + ticket.

As for him speeding to catch you up providing the Police vehicle is being used for Police purposes then were exempt from the speed limit. I think there are a few jobs worths out there that dont really appreciate a car for what it sud be.

No worries mate, I'm working away and won't be able to post until Friday afternoon. If you could do a bank transfer, that is the easiest for me, let me know and I'll pm you my details.

I don't think it would cause any harm, it would be no worse than having a restrictive silencer fitted, and you could leave it open most of the time, just close it (fully or slightly) when you need to be quiet.

cool PM me your details buddy