The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scott M's Supra Build Thread

Scott

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats one hell of an improvement on that harness Scott, good work :)

You should have seen it before I started. It had 5 plugs dangling out of it :D

- - - Updated - - -

Patience of a saint. Amazing, great work Scott

Cheers mate, I really enjoyed today/night on the car. I felt a lot of the love coming back with things going right for a change :)

It all went swimmingly. It's all in and everything is working exactly as it should. I believe all I need to do is wire in the ABS signal converters and the wiring is completely finished.... oh, other than a line lock switch :D

• 2 weeks later...

A rather amusing update tonight. Recently I took the gearbox off to replace the clutch with my RPS Twin Carbon/Carbon one. I don't have any pics of the strip down but I'll try to get some of it going on.

Anyway, I got my pull out and tried to get the pilot bearing out, queue one snapped universal tip. I then ordered a blind hole pull kit from eBay, el-cheapo. Bent that on the first try. This left me with the tried and tested pressure method. I stayed away from this method as I wanted to do it the "proper way" but crappy tools and no budget for decent stuff left me with little option.

With that in mind I heard that grease wasn't the only option, people had also used bread. Bread sounded like a great option as it wouldn't be as messy and it wouldn't slip through the pilot hole so easily. So, I came home tonight, got out Warburton's finest and went to work. It only took 1 slice too :D

It went like this.... bread in, punch in, more bread in, punch in, more bread in, punch in, rinse and repeat until bearing pops out. Easy peasy :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199000&stc=1&d=1426811469

attachment.php?attachmentid=199001&stc=1&d=1426811469

attachment.php?attachmentid=199002&stc=1&d=1426811469

attachment.php?attachmentid=199003&stc=1&d=1426811469

attachment.php?attachmentid=199004&stc=1&d=1426811469

Rear main seal is next :)

2015-03-19 23.47.20.jpg

2015-03-19 23.53.38.jpg

2015-03-19 23.55.05.jpg

2015-03-19 23.58.12.jpg

2015-03-20 00.00.03.jpg

I've got a nice little job to do as a brief sideline to the clutch being changed. I managed to source a couple of signal converters and a few m of 4 core individually shielded wire to sort out the traction control. It should hopefully be a fairly straight forward install. I'll get plenty of pics along with it all, looking forward to getting started on it.

Went out to fit the pilot bearing and the rear main seal tonight. Can't for the life of me find the seal though. I guess that's what happens when you take so long over a build :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=199183&stc=1&d=1427140491

I'll have another look this week but if I can't find it, I'll be getting a new one.

I've also ordered a new headunit to go in the car. I went with one of the Pioneer Appradio ones. They can be tweaked to allow anything on your phone to run so I'll have a look at that once it's all wired in. The "Todo" list is looking a good bit shorter, I'm even adding optional-ish stuff to it :D

Wire in ABS signal convertors

Wire in stereo and tidy all "behind the dash" wiring.

Tidy the passenger footwell and secure the ECU

Fit the rear main seal

Fit a couple of gearbox seals

Fit the clutch & the gearbox

Fit short shifter

Replace the fuel pump with the bosch unit (044)

Swap the brakes over to AP racing BBK

Wrap the downpipe in DEI wrap

Fit DEI tubby blanket

I'm waiting on some 4 core individually shielded wire to arrive so that I can sort out the signal converters. Once I get that, and the stereo, I'll finish the interior and have it 100% done, can't believe how close I am :D

2015-03-23 15.48.14.jpg

That looks slick. Sat-nav too through an app. Nice!

It looks pretty good, I'll have a proper play with it in time. Apparently you can load in a custom app to the phone that lets you run any app through the headunit, netflix... etc, etc, with no restrictions.... unlike as it is with the standard app. That sort of thing is right up my street.

It has all the modern stuff too like bluetooth streaming etc, etc, which is always fun :)

It looks pretty good, I'll have a proper play with it in time. Apparently you can load in a custom app to the phone that lets you run any app through the headunit, netflix... etc, etc, with no restrictions.... unlike as it is with the standard app. That sort of thing is right up my street.

It has all the modern stuff too like bluetooth streaming etc, etc, which is always fun :)

You're talking my language now. In-car tech is properly fascinating now and I'm getting properly into it. The next Jag XF (unveiled in New York in April) looks like it's going to move the game on in that respect.

You're talking my language now. In-car tech is properly fascinating now and I'm getting properly into it. The next Jag XF (unveiled in New York in April) looks like it's going to move the game on in that respect.

I'm really liking the tech in modern cars, what annoys me slightly about it is the convoluted setup involved.

Eg, our 535 has a decent amount of tech for the age of the car..... trying to upgrade it or remove anything is an absolute nightmare though. It's all canbus and interconnects with different controllers etc. the above pioneer unit is self contained other than a mic and a couple of cables.

I really wish the manufacturers would start to work with a similar concept. I know that's never going to happen, but it would be really nice if it did.

I'm really liking the tech in modern cars, what annoys me slightly about it is the convoluted setup involved.

Eg, our 535 has a decent amount of tech for the age of the car..... trying to upgrade it or remove anything is an absolute nightmare though. It's all canbus and interconnects with different controllers etc. the above pioneer unit is self contained other than a mic and a couple of cables.

I really wish the manufacturers would start to work with a similar concept. I know that's never going to happen, but it would be really nice if it did.

The thing is, modern cars are full of wiring. Impossible to economically get by, for the most part. That Jag I mentioned is wired for Ethernet and uses two screens over ten inches. Imagine the complexity there!

The thing is, modern cars are full of wiring. Impossible to economically get by, for the most part. That Jag I mentioned is wired for Ethernet and uses two screens over ten inches. Imagine the complexity there!

I still think it will be overly complex for various reasons other than necessity/economy/viability.

My Wifes laptop cost £300 and does all of that, even has ethernet AND wireless :)

My point is that regardless of complexity it could all be in 1 box, with upgradeable modules. They want the various modules hard wired with custom plugs etc at various ends of the car to make it all exclusive and almost impossible to upgrade/change.

I still think it will be overly complex for various reasons other than necessity/economy/viability.

My Wifes laptop cost £300 and does all of that, even has ethernet AND wireless :)

My point is that regardless of complexity it could all be in 1 box, with upgradeable modules. They want the various modules hard wired with custom plugs etc at various ends of the car to make it all exclusive and almost impossible to upgrade/change.

All true. And dealerships don't make profit from selling cars these days. They do by fixing them!

All true. And dealerships don't make profit from selling cars these days. They do by fixing them!

Most industries are that way nowadays. We (Rolls-Royce) sell a lot of engines at a loss or near loss due to the money made in the refurbishment/spares business. Years ago we were selling V2500 engines for 8 million, they cost us 10 million (on paper) to make.

I made some HUGE progress today. It won't seem like a lot but I think I'm officially finished with the ECU/Loom/Wiring/etc.

First job was to finish off the traction control wiring. This was tricky in itself as my car is a facelift and the wiring is a bit different from what is in the manual etc. I got there in the end with it though. I used signal converters to change the signal to a square wave for the front inputs. Fairly straight forward job but very nervy and time consuming. I used 4 core individually shielded wire for this

attachment.php?attachmentid=199315&stc=1&d=1427402572

Once the ABS was all wired in and tested I set my attention on behind the dash and sorting out my new stereo etc. I started off by making a new harness for the stereo. I had done this with my last stereo so I decided to put a middle plug in to save me any future hassle.

My current harness with the new end of the harness from my new stereo cut off.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199316&stc=1&d=1427402572

Sorting the ends of the new harness.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199317&stc=1&d=1427402572

Pins on

attachment.php?attachmentid=199318&stc=1&d=1427402572

Plug made

attachment.php?attachmentid=199319&stc=1&d=1427402572

The old harness pre-cut.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199320&stc=1&d=1427402572

Toyota side cut off and prepped.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199321&stc=1&d=1427402572

Pins on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199322&stc=1&d=1427402572

Plug on

attachment.php?attachmentid=199323&stc=1&d=1427402572

Finished

attachment.php?attachmentid=199324&stc=1&d=1427402572

You can imagine how many connections etc there were for this stereo. I've managed to get it all in and operational with fairly minimal fuss. This is how I left it tonight. It's all just starting to go back together. I'm hoping to have it finished either tomorrow or over the weekend depending on work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=199325&stc=1&d=1427402572

2015-03-26 15.56.25.jpg

2015-03-26 18.33.39.jpg

2015-03-26 18.39.52.jpg

2015-03-26 18.43.00.jpg

2015-03-26 18.44.12.jpg

2015-03-26 18.46.13.jpg

2015-03-26 18.51.09.jpg

2015-03-26 18.54.04.jpg

2015-03-26 18.56.27.jpg

2015-03-26 18.56.45.jpg

2015-03-26 19.57.49.jpg

Very small update today. I haven't bothered going out to set about the dash just yet, but I did get my hands on the rear crank seal so that is now fitted. Nothing stopping me from fitting the clutch/gearbox now. One last big push should see the car ready for the road :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=199353&stc=1&d=1427474196

2015-03-27 15.59.45.jpg