The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scott M's Supra Build Thread

Scott

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife went to bed at 12 so I decided to head out and work on the car for an hour. Got a fair bit done.

Turbo compressor housing cut

Viscous fan fitted

PS Cooler fitted

Oil Cooler Fitted

Intercooler Fitted

New Radiator fitted

Front Calipers removed (for refurb)

attachment.php?attachmentid=142204&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142205&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142208&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142209&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142210&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142211&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142212&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142213&stc=1&d=1322270874

With regards to the radiator, does this look normal? It looks silly high to me, the cap that is.

attachment.php?attachmentid=142206&stc=1&d=1322270874

attachment.php?attachmentid=142207&stc=1&d=1322270874

IMG_7772 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7774 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7775 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7776 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7778 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7779 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7780 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7781 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7785 - Copy-1200.jpg

IMG_7786 - Copy-1200.jpg

Thanks guys, set my mind at ease with the rad. It looks crazy high compared to stock lol.

Rob this is only a test fit really, most of the stuff will be coming back off. Saving the caps for the finished article as I don't want to lose them or scratch them. Take that as a compliment mate, they are stunning ;)

Going for around 700 for now Noz.

Thanks guys, set my mind at ease with the rad. It looks crazy high compared to stock lol.

Rob this is only a test fit really, most of the stuff will be coming back off. Saving the caps for the finished article as I don't want to lose them or scratch them. Take that as a compliment mate, they are stunning ;)

Going for around 700 for now Noz.

Not alot then, lol. Are you doing coil packs Scott?

Have you got plenty of clearence between the return line and the turbo outlet/manifold, mine was very tight on my greddy mani.

Not alot then, lol. Are you doing coil packs Scott?

Have you got plenty of clearence between the return line and the turbo outlet/manifold, mine was very tight on my greddy mani.

Na my coil packs are fine mate. I did ask about the SS ones but was told not to bother.

I've got hee-haw space on the return line mate. It's so bad that I had to rotate the cartridge round to make everything fit, it's an exact science lol. 1mm too much and it didn't come together properly. I was thinking about extending it out but that's how JP ran his and I don't think he had any issues. I've got an oil temp/pressure gauge so I'll keep an eye on the temps.

I may be wrong but im sure the max said rotation is 15 degrees, lol, dont hold me to that mind, but if jamie had it like that for all that time it will be fine, i had a solid stainless line made up for mine, much like the standard greddy one, fits a treat. I thought my coil packs were ok but with a miss above 1.4 bar coil packs are only thing it can be as all else was changed. 700hp is going to be a nice shock to the system, almost double bpu power :shock:

Keep the updates coming mate, love the work so far.

I'm just asking, I'm not up to scratch with 8.5 compression and how far you can take it that was all mate. I know you need to level your compression with NA's constantly I didn't know if jumping from BPU 400 to 700 would require a change in compression? I spose being able to lower a GE to 9.2 (ish) will allow you to get to 500+ it would make sense to be able to use 700hp with 8.5 TT stock compression.

A general question as I'm a TT noob ;)

I may be wrong but im sure the max said rotation is 15 degrees, lol, dont hold me to that mind, but if jamie had it like that for all that time it will be fine, i had a solid stainless line made up for mine, much like the standard greddy one, fits a treat. I thought my coil packs were ok but with a miss above 1.4 bar coil packs are only thing it can be as all else was changed. 700hp is going to be a nice shock to the system, almost double bpu power :shock:

Keep the updates coming mate, love the work so far.

I can't see there being any limit to the rotation of the housings as the faces of the cartrdige are the same all the way around. I'm guessing you are thinking of the angle of the oil feed & drain though? I've only clocked that a VERY small amount, certainly no further than JPs as the oil drain line is made to suit so it won't allow it to turn any further :D

You lowering compression for that increase in power? Any idea what PSI your going to be running. Gonna be running sweet...

I'm just asking, I'm not up to scratch with 8.5 compression and how far you can take it that was all mate. I know you need to level your compression with NA's constantly I didn't know if jumping from BPU 400 to 700 would require a change in compression? I spose being able to lower a GE to 9.2 (ish) will allow you to get to 500+ it would make sense to be able to use 700hp with 8.5 TT stock compression.

A general question as I'm a TT noob ;)

Na no change in compression required. The turbo is a much more efficient charge so there won't really be much of an increase in pressure to make loads more power. Power doesn't really relate to the pressure created by compression in the cylinders, it's the pressure and quality of the air intake charge that gives the bigger bang. I'm not sure how much pressure there is in the cylinders when running but an increase of 0.5bar isn't going to make hee-haw of a difference at stock compression. Once going to higher levels better internals are required though.

The N/A is really high compression to have as a turbo car hence why it needs to be lowered. The 1.0bar increase of pressure can just push the N/A over the edge.

I'm just going to run whatever PSI it takes to hit around 700hp :D

I think the going rate is approx 1.7bar (25psi).

that was a slow one then. :p

Edit if you want a looksi at mine, gimi a shout i'll bring her over

Will do mate. Could probably do with a look at the intercooler piping to see the best way to route it to be honest. You not taking her off road for the winter?

Cheers

Will do mate. Could probably do with a look at the intercooler piping to see the best way to route it to be honest. You not taking her off road for the winter?

Cheers

I've just garaged her bud, soon as its a dry, cold day i'll get her out for a blast, and i'll pop over if you want? can have a good look at the IC routing. :D