The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just worked out money spent on supra! What have others spent??

hp006

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly my point, and i have seen some big money builds at shows which look gash

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. I don't think any one person can judge the look of any other persons car, they can give their opinion on it but that is about as far as it goes. Sometimes a consensus is reached where everyone thinks a car looks gash but that doesn't make it so.

IMO only the fitting and finish of a car can be judged in that way. Poorly fitted kits and bland finishes of paintwork, wheels, interiors etc speak volumes of their owners regardless of how much money has been thrown at something.

There are also a lot of people who want to spend money on turbo kits just so that they can say they have xxxhp. The trouble is that these people let their cars waste away, don't care about all the surrounding aspects of the car or the general maintenence required to look after them in a standard form, let alone modified. I could name names, or even stereotypes, where I have seen this happen time after time after time and it really is a shame.

"Haow many hosspowas duz ya car have laaike?"

400ish

"Miyn haz 600 yo"

Yeah, but it has Jspecs worn to a nub, a stock clutch, oil like mud and tape holding most of it together. Not to mention the full runs on the rear... classy.

"Yeah but it has 600hosspowas innit"

yeah, I see your point.

I look at the money I have spent on my car and the money I intend to spend on my car before even contemplating going single and find it funny when I get asked "why" on MSN when I could easily just whack on a ruddy big cheap ass turbo for XXX and have my end goal HP much sooner than I plan to.

I must admit that it doesn't really bother me, I just find it funny more often than not. What does annoy me, slightly, though is the fact that to a non-car person they would see my car being worth less than the other tripe that goes on show. Yes it IS held together with tape, but to the untrained eye both the cars are to the same standard only one has a big turbo.

That's just my opinion though :D

Do it ......

I don't have anything against these people bud. Doesn't make any difference to anyone and absolutely no good could come from it, anger and hostility would be the only outcome... along with a ban or 2 (me being no.1).

Also I haven't done the appropriate groundwork to substantiate any claim that I would make, it is just an observation based on my experience hence why I used the term "stereotype".

Anyway, I may be daft but I'm not stupid :p

I don't have anything against these people bud. Doesn't make any difference to anyone and absolutely no good could come from it, anger and hostility would be the only outcome... along with a ban or 2 (me being no.1).

Also I haven't done the appropriate groundwork to substantiate any claim that I would make, it is just an observation based on my experience hence why I used the term "stereotype".

I toatally agree mate, i have people asking why i'm not up-ing the power from BPU and i have to say......because it's enough for ME.......hence why I'm upgrading other parts like suspension and doing the best job i can getting it right!

I toatally agree mate, i have people asking why i'm not up-ing the power from BPU and i have to say......because it's enough for ME.......hence why I'm upgrading other parts like suspension and doing the best job i can getting it right!

Oh don't get me wrong, I will be going single. I just think it is more important, when you don't have wads of cash, to get the little things right first before jumping into the big things.

Time after time you see threads on this forum with single cars spending more time in the garage than they do on the road. On very few occasions am I actually surprised that it has happend. The owners have taken shortcuts or not had the proper servicing done on the car ready for such a power hike. Or they have just disregarded all information on this site and bought cheap tat.

I'm going single usually means strapping on a manifold, turbo, fuelling and an ECU to most people. Since Lee P has been doing a lot of conversions it has been going VERY right, a credit to him and the owners who actually recognise there is a right way to go about all this. The traders on here tend to know what they are doing, obviously past traders haven't, so now the single installs... when the proper money/time is spent, go well. More people need to pay attention to WHY they are going well.

I went to a garage to get my turbos sorted out. While there I was offered a single conversion for 3k. I laughed and decided I best not go back to that garage. According to them it was perfectly feasible, for me it just isn't. £1-£2k would be getting spent on my car before putting a single aftermarket part near it in preperation for a single. Thankfully I have done most of that work already so I am almost ready to take the plunge.... once I have the cash lol.

ha!! i was just bored on this sunny friday morning at work, and fancied a bit of spice and action on the board :sly:

Oh don't get me wrong, I will be going single. I just think it is more important, when you don't have wads of cash, to get the little things right first before jumping into the big things.

Time after time you see threads on this forum with single cars spending more time in the garage than they do on the road. On very few occasions am I actually surprised that it has happend. The owners have taken shortcuts or not had the proper servicing done on the car ready for such a power hike. Or they have just disregarded all information on this site and bought cheap tat.

I'm going single usually means strapping on a manifold, turbo, fuelling and an ECU to most people. Since Lee P has been doing a lot of conversions it has been going VERY right, a credit to him and the owners who actually recognise there is a right way to go about all this. The traders on here tend to know what they are doing, obviously past traders haven't, so now the single installs... when the proper money/time is spent, go well. More people need to pay attention to WHY they are going well.

I went to a garage to get my turbos sorted out. While there I was offered a single conversion for 3k. I laughed and decided I best not go back to that garage. According to them it was perfectly feasible, for me it just isn't. £1-£2k would be getting spent on my car before putting a single aftermarket part near it in preperation for a single. Thankfully I have done most of that work already so I am almost ready to take the plunge.... once I have the cash lol.

I totally agree mate, my Supra is used everyday so I'm keeping it twins for now.....my car my rules!

This is all excluding the cost of buying the car - and in the order I remember buying them.

1 x Clifford Concept 650 with auto closure and remote start - £600

1 x UK Brakes - £500

1 x Alpine 9887R headunit & iPod lead - £400

2 x Planet Audio Speakers + adapters - £200 (£400 as two sets)

1 x Planet Audio BB75.4 = £500

1 x Cabling - £100

3 x Dynamat - £150

1 x 18" Volk Challenge wheels - £400 (second hand)

4 x Wheel refurb - £65 x 4 wheels = £260

2 x 245/35/18 Eagle F1 - £300

2 x 275/35/18 Eagle F1 - £480

1 x Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust - £650

1 x Chris Wilson Decat pipes - £350

1 x Greddy SMIC - £300

1 x New Pulley's all around + Belts - £550 (at Toyota)

1 x Titan ARB's set - £375

1 x Alpine D106R + Freeview + Video iPod leads + Parrot Bluetooth = £1250

1 x Planet Audio BB75.4 Amp = £500

1 x Planet Audio BB650.1 Amp = £480

2 x Planet Audio BB12DVC Sub = £225/ea = £450

1 x Custom Enclsoure = £300

1 x Audison BitONE DSP = £700

3 x HID - £225

1 x RPS Max Puk Clutch - £375

1 x Walbro - £75

I think that's nudging £10k and there's more to come with the HKS Twins and other bits, but they're not on yet, and my head hurts.

This is all excluding the cost of buying the car - and in the order I remember buying them.

1 x Clifford Concept 650 with auto closure and remote start - £600

1 x UK Brakes - £500

1 x Alpine 9887R headunit & iPod lead - £400

2 x Planet Audio Speakers + adapters - £200 (£400 as two sets)

1 x Planet Audio BB75.4 = £500

1 x Cabling - £100

3 x Dynamat - £150

1 x 18" Volk Challenge wheels - £400 (second hand)

4 x Wheel refurb - £65 x 4 wheels = £260

2 x 245/35/18 Eagle F1 - £300

2 x 275/35/18 Eagle F1 - £480

1 x Tanabe Medallion Touring Exhaust - £650

1 x Chris Wilson Decat pipes - £350

1 x Greddy SMIC - £300

1 x New Pulley's all around + Belts - £550 (at Toyota)

1 x Titan ARB's set - £375

1 x Alpine D106R + Freeview + Video iPod leads + Parrot Bluetooth = £1250

1 x Planet Audio BB75.4 Amp = £500

1 x Planet Audio BB650.1 Amp = £480

2 x Planet Audio BB12DVC Sub = £225/ea = £450

1 x Custom Enclsoure = £300

1 x Audison BitONE DSP = £700

3 x HID - £225

1 x RPS Max Puk Clutch - £375

1 x Walbro - £75

I think that's nudging £10k and there's more to come with the HKS Twins and other bits, but they're not on yet, and my head hurts.

Johnny,

How do you actually afford all that? I would love to have the free cash. Very jealous.

I totally agree mate, my Supra is used everyday so I'm keeping it twins for now.....my car my rules!

Also you have to see the fact that a BPU Supra isn't slow! :D

How many cars are faster than a BPU and how much money do they cost? I think a Supra, regardless of the Tuning Stage, is always a really quick car. ;)

I'm always astonished how the perspectives change when coming from the Volvo Forum I'm at to MKIVSupra.net, on many other tuning sites it's a big achievement to hit 300+BHP even much bigger to hit 400+BHP and here we are talking about 500,600,700+BHP like it's 150BHP :D

Got to love the 2JZ and the Supra :D