The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Midnight Tunnel Run - Wangan Style

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was poor organisation as they didnt expect so many people to turn up to the event. There was a huge number of people there and it didn't help when people were allowed to jump the queue by parking outside, walking in to buy a ticket and then walking back out to miss the queue inside waiting for tickets!!!! But all in all, was a decent night as we had a good meet up and saw some nice cars.

For those that came from down south I can imagine you guys will be pissed off as you traveled so far to just sit in your car for a few hours waiting to go through the tunnel a couple of times!

yeah got a run and a few vids i heard an imprezza crashed after we had been through a guy at the petrol station told us dint sound good

And i broke down on the way home my car is a money pit

Just get the vids up mate, foret the supra, mine broke earlier in the week, maybe its revenge cos we drive NA's

I too went home at 2am cold, wet and after 2 hours in the car park nowhere near the tunnel, as well as many others I’m sure, was jam packed. I feel sorry for the lads who travelled a long way for this :( just hope if this does become a regular thing it’s a lesson learned for the organizers and will be alot better next time.

did anyone actually get a run? any photos or videos?

This event was a landmark in large organisations supporting performance car clubs in the North East. The tyne tunnel as billed in the original info is the second longest in the UK. I and a number of others were ecstatic that the event had been arranged and was actually going ahead.

The original info highlighted that it was open to invite marques and clubs only and limited numbers were invited. It had potential to be a great event.

So we turned up early to traffic the like of which I haven't seen in the normal tunnel rush hour queue. We were ushered into a carpark with one access road running the length of it, which some bright spark had though it cool to park the biggest burger van i'd ever seen in the middle of it.

Not happy with one lane being available they queued trafic in it for the run itself. This meant that there was no way in any more and the only way out was the tunnel ticket queue.

The guys who arrived first went to the back of the carpark. The guys who arrived last got to turn around and go first. After 3 hours of standing around in the p****ng rain we had to ask one of the 4 marshalls (about 1 per 1,000,000 cars) to move the traffic so we could get home before it became a midday run.

Not amused!

Completely ruined what could have been a fantastic event and as a local I feel I must apologise to everybody who travelled. I'd be well f***ed off. A complete lack of organisation and not how we normally do things up here.

On the plus side, some nice Supras there. Enjoyed the catch up. cheers Guys.

Rant Over...
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_angry.gif

Even though i didnt land home till 5.30 and my manifold was blowing its tits (jinx myself at the services) off and the diabolicle wait after getting stuck in the car park it wasnt all bad.

Yes the event could of been better organised and having to wait 3 hours to finaly get a run was a piss take but it was still good fun once we got to the tunnel and booted it but i doubt id be making that trip again next year.

All for a good cause though i suppose. Nice to meet you guys.

Got home at 6am :D

What a wait in the cold and wet, nice to see so many Supras there, meet and speak to new and old faces :)

Slow convoy up as Adam didn't like driving quicker than 60mph in the wet but eventually arrived at just before midnight, then we parked in the line with everybody else and waited and waited and waited :blink:

Some decided to do a U turn and head back home without doing the tunnel run just paying 1.20 for the return journey but others are made of more sterner stuff and decided after 3+ hours of waiting a proper tunnel run was going to be had :eyebrows:

Eventually we were let out to the final holding area, the marshal at start point said 'if you catch the little MX5! don't overtake' lol

Like the was ever going to happen, cold wet tyres, cold wet roads and a concrete tunnel :innocent:

But we had a go anyway 'fail'

Set off the line and no grip in 1st and 2nd so a slow run into the tunnel, right hand bend then tunnel drops, lets try some power (0.8bar) and 3rd gear wheel spin but we're moving.

The noise was great, screamer pipe sound the bo*locks :D

Road rises and left hand bend, drop some speed off and back down to 2nd gear, look in mirror and a very quick R32 is closing! Forget him lets just keep spinning wheel until we exit tunnel :p

Return run (North bound) R32 still behind me waiting to leave just after i take off, this time we'll try higher boost (1.4bar)

Into the right-hander and then down high section, snatch 3rd wheel spin! snatch 4th wheel spin!! speedo reads 130 :D

Left-hander as the road rises, 'Holy Sh*t' no grip at 120 in a concrete tunnel :blink:

Slam it down into 3rd, scrub a bit of speed without brakes and we make it around the bend without a R32 on my rear, this time he didn't catch us up :D

Out of the tunnel exit and breath lol

What a laugh and experience, both me and my bro who have been through the tunnel my times in our lives have never done it that way and got such a buzz.

He managed to get some video phone footage of us both in deadly silence, the car squirting all over the road looking for grip blazing through the tunnel.

Great night well worth the wait :cool:

The journey home was a lot quicker and just 1 more fuel stop to get us back before the birds started twittering :innocent:

As the guys have said it wasnt all bad it was just the 3 hour wait. Wilko went home as usual without having a go :D

As GazB stated the hardcore stayed for what we had spent a full tank of fuel on and waited 3 hours for.

My run was not as spirited as Gaz's :D , I was tired and cold and grip was terrible, but I did get it all on HD and zoom h2 audio ;)

It was an experiance as the tunnel was loooooooooooooong

I will upload it later on when I have cleaned the Supra

Gaz ripped passed me on the M1 about 4:30. I was nodding off 50 miles in to my 190 home

scotty

Slow convoy up as Adam didn't like driving quicker than 60mph in the wet.

Good thing aswel as when we came out of the 50 zone my car spat out a manifold stud :D

Naturally i had no idea what it was at the time so had to back off as i ran the checklist in my head of whats happened or broken or fell off :innocent:

Ah well. It was good to meet the chaps I haven't yet but I left the tunnel at 2 having not had a run. Stuck in a carpark with a dodgy stomach for 2 hours was not ideal. Organisation seemed a little lacking but I'm sure the rest of the guys got in just after I left.

Must have been aman's pizza!

I had a strange event with the car just after I left our convoy home and headed toward Harrogate. The car electricity went dead. I think when I changed my HID, I didn't secure the battery lead properly. It came back on instantly but lost power, lights went off, came back on and hazards came on. Clock was reset as was AVCR boost controller. Tightened just in case. Scary stuff going round a bend on a 60mph country lane at 4am :(