The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Borg Warner EFR turbos

Paul Whiffin

Sure is this not the same setup as Supra OEM Turbos with the Wastegate bolted on

Considering all the addional Accessaries bolted into the Turbo, is it is not a better option to have a conventional Single Setup with everything seperate; if you need to replace anything you dont need to replace the whole Turbo too or at least you dont need to touch the turbo if you can get the items seperate

Items like external wastegates are easier to get at if they need replacing, surely it would be alot more time consuming to get the waste gate bolted to the Turbo Housing

What are the benefits of having this Items bolted to the Turbo, just a tidy setup? but with the disadvantage if something need replacing it will cost you more in labour to get at the individual items replaced due to how tight everything is under the hood?

I guess you've never took a external waste gate off a Supra :D

Not only are they usually underneath, but they have a habit of going boink as all the pipes pull in different directions when the tension is released. It then takes three people to pull all the tubes in place while the v-bands are put back on.

I could get the internal actuator off in about 5 mins if it was clocked correctly :D. I like the compressor based recirc valve. The V12 BWM TT has those and I wondered what they were for, now I know. ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've given this some thought and I can't help come to the conclusion that this really is just a repackaging exercise. There certainly isn't anything 'new' as far as turbo technology goes. Each individual component has been used in some form down the line by other aftermarket manufacturers, just not in one unit (AFAIK). This layout has certainly been used in the OEM field. I would call this more evolution rather than revolution. It's a great idea to simplify installation, but I would loved to have seen more ground being made on aftermarket VTG/VNT turbos. Porsche has been using VTG's on petrol engines for a while now, so it can be done.

I've given this some thought and I can't help come to the conclusion that this really is just a repackaging exercise. There certainly isn't anything 'new' as far as turbo technology goes. Each individual component has been used in some form down the line by other aftermarket manufacturers, just not in one unit (AFAIK). This layout has certainly been used in the OEM field. I would call this more evolution rather than revolution. It's a great idea to simplify installation, but I would loved to have seen more ground being made on aftermarket VTG/VNT turbos. Porsche has been using VTG's on petrol engines for a while now, so it can be done.

I reckon that Cosworth will come out with a Rocket style antilag system that runs off unburnt fuel in exhaust. Push a button and instant 150,000rpm of comperssor rpm. Having been in the Prodrive ALS Demo car where this did actually happen with Ben H (who refined it for road use as a demo for the Japs) and him now working for Cosworth F1 as there chief calibration engineer, one does wonder :D

Porsche has been using VTG's on petrol engines for a while now, so it can be done.

Yep, the new GT2RS is running small relatively small turbos at 1.6bar to get 600bhp+ with apparently almost-zero lag. It would be nice to see these running on the 2JZ. But, is it prohibitive to use larger frame turbos? Also the mapping would be a bit of a nightmare I'm guessing. Would something like the Syvecs be able to handle it?

I reckon that Cosworth will come out with a Rocket style antilag system that runs off unburnt fuel in exhaust. Push a button and instant 150,000rpm of comperssor rpm. Having been in the Prodrive ALS Demo car where this did actually happen with Ben H (who refined it for road use as a demo for the Japs) and him now working for Cosworth F1 as there chief calibration engineer, one does wonder :D

Certainly an interesting prospect.

Yep, the new GT2RS is running small relatively small turbos at 1.6bar to get 600bhp+ with apparently almost-zero lag. It would be nice to see these running on the 2JZ. But, is it prohibitive to use larger frame turbos? Also the mapping would be a bit of a nightmare I'm guessing. Would something like the Syvecs be able to handle it?

It's all possible, the only restriction is £££.

I dont know how much this will be of a commercial R&D excercise for them as yet, but a cosworth built 2jz will come out of it.

was looking at the cosworth subaru built long block at Snetterton. Very impressive piece of kit and at 7K built it was quite reasonable too :)

Variable vane turbos are unreliable enough on diesels, let alone big power petrol engines :)

I'm sure my mate that was lead mechanic at a porsche dealership said that porsche turbo's ran variable vane technology. Its not for big power its for better spool. Gas turbines have been running this technology since the late 60's. In fact you could use it very similarly to gas turbines to prevent compressor stalling whilst still spinning the turbine over. Remember its not the exhaust side you need to vary its the compressor side to reduce restriction at lower revs, once its spinning you then bang in the angle of attack/compression based on throttle position.